What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why so many apps are craps?

OP
M

mobi1

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I guess my question is: how did you arrive at that 90% figure

I personally tried circa 500 based on reviews from various sources. Out of them ~450 turned out to be useless. If samples are taken at random, then the result reflects overall figures.

On a slight tangent, I find that surprising number of apps are nothing but a formatter which just format relevant web pages to a format that conforms to iPad display. I can understand for apps like Flipboard, Zite, Pulse etc. it is useful as they aggregate from so many feeds. But for most others, they just format one single website!

Why one can't use the web browser itself? Oh yes, a lot of websites just don't work with standard iPad browser!!

miket5au

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Why one can't use the web browser itself? Oh yes, a lot of websites just don't work with standard iPad browser!!

It is partly that but also partly that it is a hangover from the smaller smartphone screen where many of those re-formatter apps come from.

Also some of the reformatter apps add value - such as comics, which is for the comixology site. In some cases it is to control content (DRM) and in others it gives a better interface - for example Forum Runner which gives you a decent way to read forums on a small screen (be honest it is only 9.7in).

OP
M

mobi1

iPF Novice
Reaction score
never once have I gone to a site that I could not access

Following sites do not work in iPad browser

Gmail rich text composition
Google/Zoho docs (because iPad does not allow content edit thing) - I understand by using some paid apps one can work with these
Lots of online exam sites (which are Flash based)
Preview in bookstore sites like Lulu etc. (again Flash based)
Sites which use non English language (especially one which uses far Eastern languages as they often require some addons to be downloaded for FF/IE/Chrome to work). Off course not all sites are like that because millions of people in Japan/China use iPad.

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
You have the wrong approach sorry

I have to say that this is totally not on. No one can take a sample of 500 hundred apps and as a result of your personal testing and your opinion come up and say based on this and my results then this percentage of total apps available is junk.... I am sorry but your calculation is incorrect. I have 250 Apps and out of that selection less than 5% of my purchases I have been unhappy with. I received credit for 9 purchases from Apple from apple as they either did crash or did not offer what they advertised and the rest I wrote off. When one purchase an Application they do for a reason, this is based on what they desire some like comics , some like books, many like games a lot do not want to pay so they down load free stuff, some need business solutions other music or may be education apps and many many more. One cannot bundle all these users in to one group. I own 30 cooking books or apps and all are excellent I surveyed various web sites and reviews before buying. with exeption of a copy of a web site app every one is great and I personally have cooked recipes from all the apps. Based on that. It is 99% of what I purchase. my point is that no one can state that 90% of all apps in Apple's iTunes store are crap based on a small survey it is simple as that. I suggest you enjoy what you like and do not get hung up on statistics because at the end of the day you miss out on the real experience that every one enjoys with the iPad.....

Oh one more thing like Sweet poison I also use the Internet a lot daily and I also use a variety of apps to gain knowledge on subjects that are relevant to both this forum and iPhone forums where I Moderate. Considering the number of sites involved and the variety Of information I access, not once have I had issues with accessing any one of them.

Last edited:

Rgsp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
sjleworthy said:
The crucial words peeps are missing in this thread are - "in my opinion". :)

I do not see that statement in the OP. What I see is "not sure how many of you agree with me..." and "happy to hear your counter thoughts". So we are expressing our counter thoughts. But you are correct. It is all a subjective matter and comes down to personal opinion.

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
mobi1 said:
I personally tried circa 500 based on reviews from various sources. Out of them ~450 turned out to be useless. If samples are taken at random, then the result reflects overall figures.

500 apps is less than 1 percent of the total 65,000 apps available, so that's hardly a convincing sample size from which to draw any reasonable conclusion, wouldn't you agree? (Using risk-based assessment to derive sampling data is part of what I do for a living, so I know a bit about statistical methods.)

Using the same approach, I have tried maybe 200 apps firsthand and found about 20+ of them didn't suit my needs or expectations, but that's a long way from allowing me conclude that 90% of all apps are 'useless'. Many of them, like Zite, was a matter of personal preference: I didn't like it, but I know it has quite a following with other users, and far from 'useless'.

Most reactions

Latest posts