What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How long should a ipad last

phonegeek1998

iPF Noob
Reaction score
In your opinion how long do you think a iPad should last if it is being used everyday, and I've already had it a year. I rarely have issues with it. Except dust is under screen sense I got it!

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
In your opinion how long do you think a iPad should last if it is being used everyday, and I've already had it a year. I rarely have issues with it. Except dust is under screen sense I got it!
Unless the iPad suffers damage or has a manufacturers defect, the only real limitation is the lifetime of the battery. Eventually it will not be able to hold a useful charge, as iPad batteries only have so many charge cycles. The battery should hold 80% of it's original capacity after 1,000 full charge cycles.

OP
P

phonegeek1998

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This thing stayed dead about after I get iphone I'm all apple except computer I love them all I find it ironic there is dust under iPad and iphone screen

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Unless the iPad suffers damage or has a manufacturers defect, the only real limitation is the lifetime of the battery. Eventually it will not be able to hold a useful charge, as iPad batteries only have so many charge cycles. The battery should hold 80% of it's original capacity after 1,000 full charge cycles.

Correct and even then, the battery can be replaced by apple(for a fee of course) and the device will be good to go again. So I'd say iPads can last many, many years.

ardchoille

iPF Novice
Reaction score

Emphasis on the "full", with regards to charge cycles. From the Lithium Ion Battery article at Apple:

"A charge cycle means using all of the battery’s power, but that doesn’t necessarily mean a single charge. For instance, you could listen to your iPod for a few hours one day, using half its power, and then recharge it fully. If you did the same thing the next day, it would count as one charge cycle, not two, so you may take several days to complete a cycle. Each time you complete a charge cycle, it diminishes battery capacity slightly, but you can put notebook, iPod, and iPhone batteries through many charge cycles before they will only hold 80% of original battery capacity."

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My iPad 2 will be 3 years old in early April and I've used it every day, since I bought it (that is until I got my Air at Christmas). But it still gets used by my hubby now and the battery life is still great!

It's very unusual for you to get dust under the screen not only on your iPad but on your phone also. The screens should be sealed against this happening. Is the dust easily seen?....would it show up in a pic to post here? I can't even imagine how this could be happening. Are your devices still under warranty?

OP
P

phonegeek1998

iPF Noob
Reaction score
IPAd is not went out at Christmas i don't really notice on iPad because it coz a bottom of screen on the left on my iphone there are two peoces of dust. Notice more on iphone ... I hope to plan on getting a iPad mini on birthday or Christmas

Spugnut

iPF Novice
Reaction score
My wife is using my iPad 2 and is have just gone past the two year mark and is still going strong. I have a number of colleagues who are still using their iPad1 on a daily basis. They are starting to consider upgrading due to lack of the latest OS and resultant App support / updatability

OP
P

phonegeek1998

iPF Noob
Reaction score
We'll I got my iPad 4 in 2012 Christmas and it's very rare that I have issues with this thing. Maybe 2 scratches at the most. I have the 32gb I'm 16. I just recently started using everyday due to the face I like using my iPad more then the crappy hp that the school makes us use. Typing is kinda hRd on the iPad.but I will get use to it soon. I'm definitely getting my money's worth I hope to go to a iPad air or mini in the next year or 2.... Battery is amazing

Ashlynn Wright

iPF Noob
Reaction score
We have had an iPad 2 as well for around 4 years. It's held up really well. The battery still holds well too. I just try to keep it away from the kids. I do have a rugged case on it, I think that has really helped.

RacewayJay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have had an iPad 4 since last March. I use it everyday, nearly all day. I do a lot of work on it, mainly word processing and spreadsheets. It performs very well, I am extremely pleased.

jwt873

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I bought an original iPad1 four years ago and used it just about every day..I never had any problems.

I recently upgraded to an iPad Air. The iPad1 was working fine. (I just wanted the extra features of the Air) The battery in the iPad1 still gave me great service. I expected to have trouble with the battery as the years went by, but I never did.

therealriley

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I got my iPad 2 just before the iPad 3 was released, which was annoying at the start but ive found the only thing that slows it down is the updates. Until two days ago i kept my iPad 2 on iOS 5.0.1 and never had any lag issues, in fact the only issue i came across was i could not download the odd app from the app store. I decided to update the iPad the other day to 7.0.4 and now apps are unresponsive, there is a lot of lag and the internet appears to be slower when using safari? I think its the updates that will eventually kill my iPad. The same thing happened to my old iphone 3gs and now the same is happening on my iphone 4. This has put me off upgrading my phone and its pushing me towards a windows tablet now. Its a shame though because i like apple products i just cant shake the feeling of apple is pushing us all to buy every model they release 2-3 times a year.
Maybe im just being paranoid lol

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I got my iPad 2 just before the iPad 3 was released, which was annoying at the start but ive found the only thing that slows it down is the updates. Until two days ago i kept my iPad 2 on iOS 5.0.1 and never had any lag issues, in fact the only issue i came across was i could not download the odd app from the app store. I decided to update the iPad the other day to 7.0.4 and now apps are unresponsive, there is a lot of lag and the internet appears to be slower when using safari? I think its the updates that will eventually kill my iPad. The same thing happened to my old iphone 3gs and now the same is happening on my iphone 4. This has put me off upgrading my phone and its pushing me towards a windows tablet now. Its a shame though because i like apple products i just cant shake the feeling of apple is pushing us all to buy every model they release 2-3 times a year. Maybe im just being paranoid lol

I understand your concern and it does seem like as soon as you buy something the next thing is out. But, the way to handle it is to resist the temptation and just enjoy your device! I had an iPad 2 for a while and did NOT upgrade until the Air came out. And that was really only because my daughter wanted an iPad so she got my iPad 2 and I snagged an Air for me. I may still be using my 2 if her needs didn't come into play. Not saying its easy to skip the latest and greatest but there is no Eason why anyone must upgrade each iteration of a device. It's too expensive for me!

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My sister has my "hand me down" iPad 1 and she still uses it every day. I got it in August 2010 and it's still going strong. Granted, she's not a power user, as I am, but I've not heard a word of complaint from her concerning the operation of it. And yes, it only runs iOS 5.1.1, but it runs it well. Physically, the thing is in great shape. It starts right up and does what she wants.

There are other iPads owned by my immediate family: Mom's iPad 2 was bought in May 2011, my brother has an iPad 3 bought in March 2012 and another sister has a Mini bought in November 2012. They all run the latest iOS (7.0.4) very well. No one says they have any issue and believe me, these three iPads are used daily, a lot!! :)

I'm very pleased with the quality of the products. As is my family.

Marilyn

Most reactions

Latest posts