What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How long should the iPad last?

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I thought mine bit the dust a few days ago, but it user error and all is okay.

But I wonder how long do you think our iPads should last before completely dying? 2 years? 4?

I guess the battery would be the first to go ~ then you can just get a new one for $99.

What would be next to go?

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I still have my first gen Nano and it works beautifully after 4+ years. When I'm not using it it's standing in an iPod dock next to the sound system so the battery is not an issue yet. I also have a first gen Shuffle that works nice but it's battery shows it's age.

I expect the iPad to survive for about seven years. If I keep it, that is!

AceOfThumbs

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have an iPod Touch from about 3 years ago and it's been used everyday. Not abused, but well used. And it shows no signs of stopping. As you say, the battery seems likely to show wear first, I think. The memory will start to have errors at some point, but I have no idea how long before it does. I read something about flash memory only having some fixed number of writes before it would fail.

sjleworthy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.sjleworthy.com
Who says it should completely die? Ok, it's bound to one day, but that day might literally be years and years and years down the road. I know not every unit meets Apples top grade finishing, but most do. And that quality is superb as we all know.

I still use, on a daily bases, my 1st gen Touch that I bought on release week (what, knocking on 4 years now?). It works perfectly in every aspect. I did have the home button start getting 'iffy' a year or so back, but that righted itself and all works dandy now. Probably just dust.

Hopefully theres no reason, other than battery performance as you mention, that your iPad shouldn't last years into the future.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My strawberry G3 iMac is recoiling at the mere mention of this thread.......I may let it roar through OSX Tiger and post it's own reply!

The Archangel

Attachments

• image-1252905574.png
    image-1252905574.png
    27 KB · Views: 12,481

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well, I don't know about the iPad, but I can attest to Apple quality with my classic iPod.

I got it in 2006 (but I don't remember what generation it is - has the clicky spin wheel). It's been on many airplanes, travels for 5+ months in a BDU trouser cargo pocket through the summer Kuwaiti heat and it currently residing in my car.

Yeah, the screen is scratched up (I don't do screen protectors and really don't like cases). But, it's still going strong.

I can only "assume" that Apple quality has improved over the years with new technology and such. In fact, I think most of us will move on to a newer tablet long before the older ones even think about expiring.

Marilyn

Harley man

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would hope at what we paid for our iPads it should last for at least 5 to 8 years that's for the I pad not the batteries . But only time will tell

from USA bucks county pa Sent from my iPad using iPF

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
SweetPoison said:
Wow. How old is that, Gab?

I can't remember, very old, it was second user when I got it and I can't bear to sell it, it's got the original strawberry hockey puck mouse and strawberry keyboard as well. Kids love it, a great machine for them to play on, runs Tiger perfectly and as it's not wireless I can disconnect easily from the internet so that they can play on it safely......although they are getting a bit too old now!

The girls love the fact that it's strawberry........I should have bought the blueberry for my son (old enough to buy his own laptop now).

The Archangel

zoro2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Often remains in the device works well with me, but must keep pace with new technology.
Thanks,

Poser

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My iPad lasted till iPad 2 came out, now i want iPad 2 to last till iPad 3 comes out.........i think it can!!!!!!

MoneyGuy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The iPad should last years but you use it so often you might burn it out very soon. :D

Most reactions

Latest posts