What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How long should the iPad last?

Thomas1977

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I think the average life span of a iPad is about 5000 charges. Im not sure where I got that number from but its a good guess. I have 2 old ipods a shuffle and a nano 5th generation that still work good yet.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Here's what Apple says:
Your battery is designed to retain up to 80 per cent of its original capacity at 1,000 complete charge cycles.

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have an old Ipod that still works, a Touch also though I no longer use them. My original Ipad I bought the first week it came out and used a great deal was still working though because of OS updates it no longer did what I needed--a good reason to update. I have updated my Ipads several times and now have a 12.9 Ipad Pro but my old Ipads live on with people that find them useful for their needs. I've never had an Apple device die on me yet-LOL--though they may get slow, cranky with OS updates for my needs. Its hard to know how long the Ipads will live since its only 7 years since they were introduced but if you use them fairly intensely, they will eventually have difficulties with newer OS updates. If you are happy for your own needs with the OS system they work best with, then they could go on quite a long time--for instance my old Air will not be updated with IOS 11 this Fall--for my needs for it--streaming device to Apple TV--IOS 10 is sufficient. I haven't even updated to IOS 10.3.1 on that old Ipad--it will live with 10.2.1 for the rest of its life LOL.

Thomas1977

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I guess a iPad will continue to live as long as it's battery continues to be rechargeable and hold it's charge.

Most reactions

Latest posts