What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do I test the Battery in my newly Bought iPad-3 ?

vish26

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had a question If I have bought a new iPad and if I wanna make sure that the Battery in my iPad is giving me the back up as claimed by Apple in the Product Specification, how can I test it ? How do I check it ? is there a battery test that I can carry out to see that the battery in my device is not faulty and is giving performance to the optimum as it should. Are there any Tests to find out this, that my battery is alright ! I know there are certain things that I can do to increase the battery performance like not having push mail, turning off the Notification, using it at not full brightness. I am aware about all these things but is there a specific test that I can carry out to see that the battery in my new device is fine ?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
vish26 said:
I had a question If I have bought a new iPad and if I wanna make sure that the Battery in my iPad is giving me the back up as claimed by Apple in the Product Specification, how can I test it ? How do I check it ? is there a battery test that I can carry out to see that the battery in my device is not faulty and is giving performance to the optimum as it should. Are there any Tests to find out this, that my battery is alright ! I know there are certain things that I can do to increase the battery performance like not having push mail, turning off the Notification, using it at not full brightness. I am aware about all these things but is there a specific test that I can carry out to see that the battery in my new device is fine ?

If you do a search in the app store for battery test or battery app you will find many apps that will do what you wish. I use System Status. Here are some screenshots from the app.

image-1131891722.jpg

image-3234999173.jpg

OP
V

vish26

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you do a search in the app store for battery test or battery app you will find many apps that will do what you wish. I use System Status. Here are some screenshots from the app.

Thanks for the App Suggestion, But that is not what I meant ! What I wanted to know was is there any Parameter against which I can measure the Battery of my iPad to check if it is working just according to the parameters mentioned by Apple in its Product Release. is there anything against which I can compare it ?

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The only way to judge the battery is by how long it lasts. And that is full of whatifs. You should get around 10+ hours from use out of your battery provided you are not using high usage apps. For example, apps using the GPS funtion with wifi connections are going to use a lot of juice. Videos and streaming videos especially, are heavy users. Any apps that run in the background will take away battery time. Running the screen at full brightness is also a battery hog. OTOH, if you are just playing music and nothing else, you may get twice the battery life. There is no parameter that you can effectively compare against because demand is not a constant function.

OP
V

vish26

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The only way to judge the battery is by how long it lasts. And that is full of whatifs. You should get around 10+ hours from use out of your battery provided you are not using high usage apps. For example, apps using the GPS funtion with wifi connections are going to use a lot of juice. Videos and streaming videos especially, are heavy users. Any apps that run in the background will take away battery time. Running the screen at full brightness is also a battery hog. OTOH, if you are just playing music and nothing else, you may get twice the battery life. There is no parameter that you can effectively compare against because demand is not a constant function.

Ok, so I just have to take it at face value and consider that everything is alright with my device and blindly start using it. There is no way that I can convince myself that just like some units have had some odd screen issues there could be a possibility of a odd bad battery in my device ?

Last edited by a moderator:

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
vish26 said:
Ok, so I just have to take it at face value and consider that everything is alright with my device and blindly start using it. There is no way that I can convince myself that just like some units have had some odd screen issues there could be a possibility of a odd bad battery in my device ?

The various battery apps available in the app store can measure the functioning of your battery and can tell you if it's behaving up to par. An example is a free app called Battery Doctor.

image-1040701350.jpg

image-2998772683.jpgThe second screenshot shows how much available battery life you have for different uses.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score

Sure. Just use it and note how long the battery typically takes to run down. And note what you are doing while trying to consume the battery because, as mentioned, some things drain the battery harder than others. It won't take very long to get the notion that it is either under performing or is about in the right range (and there is a range depending on various factors). Just try not to create a problem where none exists. This definitely occurs for some people. The odds are strongly against you having an odd bad battery.

OP
V

vish26

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The various battery apps available in the app store can measure the functioning of your battery and can tell you if it's behaving up to par. An example is a free app called Battery Doctor.

View attachment 25346The second screenshot shows how much available battery life you have for different uses.

So Like in your second example whatever percentage of battery available that it shows for a particular activity is this percentage the actual one, is it what it should be ? How will I know that tis percentage that it shows is the correct one...

Nakedbabytoes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There is a video on YouTube, just google "iPad3 vs iPad2" and one of the first ones is a guy who runs benchmark tests on both simultainiously. I realize you didn't ask for comparison stuff, BUT you could use the benchmark testing sites & apps he did to test your device against what Apple says, if you so choose.

However, skepticoptomus Rex we can be about everything companies "tell us" and we can take it at face value or decide to investigate further. Do cars get the stated MPG? Are calorie counts on our Doritos accurate? Will my running shoes really last me the stated mileage? Will my 4 seasons tent really work in the darkest night in the dead of winter?
There are "curves of average" to everything. If you get a magical 11th hour of battery life on your iPad, will you come back here and sing the praises of Apple? But if you get 9, hoot and holler about how they deceived you intentionally? Should you? Ah, the standard bell curve of averages...how we dislike the lower end of the bell curve! How some people don't understand the concept of averages.

Test away. It will either make you happy or mad, depends on your expectations.

cwinter

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Instead of wondering on here what you can do to "check" your battery, couldn't you have just used the iPad and figured out if it is behaving? :rolleyes:

Battery issues usually rear their ugly head quickly and you will figure out if you got a dud or not. Mine holds up 3-4 days with moderate usage and I'm pretty happy with it. I can watch a show on Netflix for 45 minutes and it uses about 5% of battery. Some games seem to drain the battery much quicker though.

Just play with it instead of worrying whether Apple's claims are what you got. It's like EPA mileage. Not everyone will get the same.

iJamesH

iPF Novice
Reaction score
There is a video on YouTube, just google "iPad3 vs iPad2" and one of the first ones is a guy who runs benchmark tests on both simultainiously. I realize you didn't ask for comparison stuff, BUT you could use the benchmark testing sites & apps he did to test your device against what Apple says, if you so choose.

However, skepticoptomus Rex we can be about everything companies "tell us" and we can take it at face value or decide to investigate further. Do cars get the stated MPG? Are calorie counts on our Doritos accurate? Will my running shoes really last me the stated mileage? Will my 4 seasons tent really work in the darkest night in the dead of winter?
There are "curves of average" to everything. If you get a magical 11th hour of battery life on your iPad, will you come back here and sing the praises of Apple? But if you get 9, hoot and holler about how they deceived you intentionally? Should you? Ah, the standard bell curve of averages...how we dislike the lower end of the bell curve! How some people don't understand the concept of averages.

Test away. It will either make you happy or mad, depends on your expectations.

You forgot if the BFG 9000 can wipe out a hundred zombies all at once as it says so on the box :D

Seriously though good post!!!!!

daveison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
True. Count the time... better not watching any movie or do any heavy battery drain thing. XD

Most reactions

Latest posts