What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do I go back to 3.2?

STi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The update is ok...The only thing I really like is the folders but my prob is my iPad just seems slower...even browsing seems slower...I prefer the zippier browsing experience I had before....The multitasking is silly and I feel like I need to exit them out all the time to prevent lag...How do I go back to 3.2?

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I honestly think it's subjective. Most people have not noticed any slow down with the upgrade.
If there had been the internet would be a fire storm by now with fanbois and anti-apple partisans slugging it out. Remember the fuss over antennagate.

That said your slow browsing may not be due to the iPad. There's line noise, contention ratios and bandwith all having an effect. Also the release was apparently delayed while Apple tried to improve the iPads connectivity, so if you genuinely are having problems in this area do check out the forums for help.

I'd just ignore the multitasking as this should have no effect on the pads performance. Theres no need to close the apps listed in the background. If your main app needs the ram the iPad will release it from the older one's automatically.

zzeng0502

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes u can and I did, wifi connection had become so bad since the upgrade I had to downgrade it back. Just google downgrade ios 4.2 to 3.2.2 , I followed those instruction and did it successfully.

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I've no idea so I didn't answer that bit of his question. Just because you can doesn't mean you should.

I'd quietly give it away to someone who might appreciate it and bask in self approbation.

iPadster

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would imagine that as apps are optimized for 4.x eventually there may be some that won't run in 3.x.

bartmichiel

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mine is slower too

In support of the op's original point: I have the the same feeling, that my iPad is a lot slower, especially in browsing, with 4.2.1 :(

hookbill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I honestly think it's subjective. Most people have not noticed any slow down with the upgrade.
If there had been the internet would be a fire storm by now with fanbois and anti-apple partisans slugging it out. Remember the fuss over antennagate.

That said your slow browsing may not be due to the iPad. There's line noise, contention ratios and bandwith all having an effect. Also the release was apparently delayed while Apple tried to improve the iPads connectivity, so if you genuinely are having problems in this area do check out the forums for help.

I'd just ignore the multitasking as this should have no effect on the pads performance. Theres no need to close the apps listed in the background. If your main app needs the ram the iPad will release it from the older one's automatically.

Hasty everything you say is true. And you can say it until you're blue in the face and people won't listen.

They can't get past the part about apps running in the background. You and I know that they are really not running there, just sort of taking a spot in line but for every one person you actually get that through to there are 3 more new ones that will say differently.

Mhartman and I were discussing this the other day. This is the exact same argument that has been going on forever in the Droid Forum. Apps running in the background. They have come up with task killer apps that basically kill some tasks but they start right up again and actually do more harm to the OS then good. I doubt you'll see that here as Apple probably won't (and shouldn't) let them in the App Store.

hookbill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Apps running in the background.

How do you know you have an app running in the background? And so what if you do? Is that a bad thing? Or do some claim it drains the battery faster?

Whenever you have multitasking you have apps running in the background. But they aren't really running they are more or less on standby. In the Unix world they refer to this as sleeping.

No, they do not drain the battery. We don't have it on the iPad unless there is an app that does it but on my Droid I have a battery usage meter that shows what is using how much percentage of the battery drain. Apps running in the background rarely show up, if they do it's 2%. Not a big drain at all.

So if you multitask with 4.2.1 you will have an app running in the background, but after a while if you don't return to it the OS will completely shut it down. This is nothing for people do be concerned about. I just noticed that some are so that's why I was talking about it.

The-Shadow

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I found some minor slowdowns in my iPad since 4.2. I just open up the multitasking bar and close the apps I no longer need open. After that, she's back to her old self.

iPadBiz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The update is ok...The only thing I really like is the folders but my prob is my iPad just seems slower...even browsing seems slower...I prefer the zippier browsing experience I had before....The multitasking is silly and I feel like I need to exit them out all the time to prevent lag...How do I go back to 3.2?

Since this thread is turning into an apple bashing thread I will go back to the original question...

Do a google search for iPad iOS 3.2 mirror and you will find a link to download. There are several of these floating around the net. If you have a problem PM me and I'll send you some info.

Once you have downloaded this file go into iTunes and hook up your iPad. On he front tab where it says check for update. Hold shift and click check for update. A file selection box will cone up.. Just choose the file you downloaded and this will revert you back to 3.2. Make sure you do a sync before you do anything to update OS.

PM me if you need more information.

Tom
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Most reactions

Latest posts