What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do I get movie files into the ipad?

pego99

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have converted files to the right mp4 format but I can't see how to get them into the ipad. Please help.

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
Load them into itunes.

then connect your ipad. Select the ipad in the list and look under its Movie tab. I will let you pick what movies to copy over the next time you sync the ipad.

iJeff

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've been using iPhone Explorer. Free and works perfectly. Drag and drop.

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think the iPhone Explorer program is great, but I am with Mike on this one. Why wouldn't you use iTunes??? After all, it is free and works perfectly. Drag and drop.

I think a lot of people here are making things a lot harder than they really need to be!

iJeff

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I should qualify this by mentioning that I don't have any other Apple products - so I was trying to get back into familiar territory.

Initially I started looking because my movie/picture files weren't transferring through. This proved to be a successful workaround for what I was after.

mrpunch0

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Related problem. Long-time Mac/iTunes user.

I have several MP4 files that I've been using on my iPad. But when I downloaded the 3.2.1 software upgrade, these files will not play? (Other video files purchased or downloaded through the iTunes store play just fine.)

I can transfer them to my iPad, but they are not visible in my video panel.

I've tried using iTunes to convert to an iPad version - but iTunes says the file is already correct?

I used Handbrake to create the files. Files are small - 480x288. Codecs: H.264, AAC, Text

Any ideas? My daughter would really like to watch her favorite movie in the car ...

Thoughts?

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well now that's a head scratcher. Just to make sure, I played some of my ripped and converted videos and they all played just fine. One is a feature movie and the resolution is 640x272 using H.64 and the other is a TV show and is 320x240 with good ol' mpeg-4.

mrpunch0

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well now that's a head scratcher. Just to make sure, I played some of my ripped and converted videos and they all played just fine. One is a feature movie and the resolution is 640x272 using H.64 and the other is a TV show and is 320x240 with good ol' mpeg-4.

I'll say. I've experimented with several settings on Handbrake over the last year or so - so none of my files are done exactly the same. Two of the files I've done recently are fine. None of them before that and since that work.

But they play on the iPhone 4 just fine?!

Soooooo confused. Will try a few different settings this weekend if I have time. Anyone have a setting they like and know works?

Last edited:

mrpunch0

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK - I have things working, but it makes no sense.

I re-ripped one of my movies using the iPod hi-rez setting. Dropped it into iTunes. Synced. It worked.

Then I added an image to it, resynced and it failed again. BUT one of the other movies I made no changes to suddenly reappeared.

Now it seems that I can add the movies - but it takes a couple of syncs to get them to show up. But once they are there - they are there.

It works - but not as well as I expect an Apple product to.

Hopefully the next iOS update fixes this. :confused:

Most reactions

Latest posts