What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How can you update a book's cover?

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have some ePub files I am trying to xfer to my iPad...no issues with the xfer but I hate the ugly cover that they have....just says MS Word because it was a generic conversion.

pik0

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.TheDailyMapper.com
You can update the cover of an ePub file in iTunes. Just select the book and open the inspector (command-I). Then, click on the artwork tab and update the image by dragging in whatever artwork you've found or created elsewhere. Then, when you do the sync ,the book cover will appear.

Now, however, if you have already sync'd the ePub and are trying to change the cover afterwards, you may be in for some trouble. In the bookcase view in iBooks, the cover artwork is cached and will only show the original artwork when the book was first transferred.

This is a bug that has already been filed with Apple. Hopefully the next release of iBooks or iPhone OS will fix it. Not sure where the blame lies... :)

Piko

Bremen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.bremencole.com
And since these books you speak of may be from torrents (not judging, I do it myself from time to time) the titles may not be correct. You have the have the correct title for it to search and get the right cover.....

OP
M

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Nah they're just crappy things that I have scanned in as PDF and converted. I have some smaller work related books that obviously aren't available in eFormat :(

OP
M

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can update the cover of an ePub file in iTunes. Just select the book and open the inspector (command-I). Then, click on the artwork tab and update the image by dragging in whatever artwork you've found or created elsewhere. Then, when you do the sync ,the book cover will appear.

Now, however, if you have already sync'd the ePub and are trying to change the cover afterwards, you may be in for some trouble. In the bookcase view in iBooks, the cover artwork is cached and will only show the original artwork when the book was first transferred.

This is a bug that has already been filed with Apple. Hopefully the next release of iBooks or iPhone OS will fix it. Not sure where the blame lies... :)

Piko
Bummer, this is correct. I tried to remove it then re add it and it didn't work. Oh well, I know now.

wot_fan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have run into this bug myself. You can force the artwork in iBooks on your iPad to update the book covers by uninstalling iBooks then reinstalling it. Not the best solution but it does work.

Cosmo860

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can also change artwork in Calibre when converting from PDF to ePub ect I have done this with all my books that have not such nice covers or no covers

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Just search "title" cover in google images and theres usually lots of choices to copy.

OP
M

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yeah I don't have an issue with the cover anymore, but I can't change them now that they have been sync'd.

pik0

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.TheDailyMapper.com
Yeah I don't have an issue with the cover anymore, but I can't change them now that they have been sync'd.

If it bugs you enough, you can uninstall iBooks from the iPad and then reinstall. This will allow you to essentially "clear" the cache (since it's stored with the app) and re-sync from iTunes all your books.

Piko

OP
M

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yeah, it's not a terribly huge issue. I haven't been reading all that much lately for some reason. I go through spurts I guess.

pik0

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.TheDailyMapper.com
Yeah, it's not a terribly huge issue. I haven't been reading all that much lately for some reason. I go through spurts I guess.

LOL! Yeah, I'm reading more now than before, since the book I was to read is always with me (in digital form) and it's very compelling ("Start with Why"). We'll see if I lose my momentum after I'm done.

Piko

Most reactions

Latest posts