What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

hide mail icon?

convoy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hi, is there any way to hide or password protect the mail icon? thanks.

zebra418

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Did anyone have an answer for this question as I was going to ask the very same thing?
I have an ipad that I have my mail going to, but my kids want to use the ipad also but they don’t need to see my mail. Is there anything I can do?

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think the best thing to do is password protect your iPad...that way no one can get into anything.

york2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How about turning off your email accounts while someone else is using the iPad?
You can do this by going to Settings and selecting Mail,Contacts, Calendars.
Go to each non-MobileMe account and change the Account option to Off.
Go to your MobileMe option, and turn the Mail option to Off.

When a person selects the Mail icon, they will see the setup screen.

Now, if someone would create an app that could just do this toggling...

shawntaylor

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Unfortunately, the only "somebody" who can create an app for that, is apple, as it would control one of their native apps. Better yet, they could (but won't) allow you to create users, so different family members can have limited or different access to various apps and info. They won't do that though, cause they want everyone to buy their own iPad. At least they should allow "YourName" and "Guest" so you can leave it out at a party without jeopardising your email, dropbox, and other private info.

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
The ipad is not ment to be a multi-user device.

if you dont trust someone to look at your emails, password protect the entire ipad with a lock code.

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can hide the icon if you jailbreak your iPad and install the program "Categories". It will allow you to switch any icon off or on, although making a change requires a soft restart (respring) of the device each time.

Captain McBad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sorry, there is no way to currently do that. Perhaps when OS 4 comes around you could hide it away in a folder?

tmgrayson

iPF Noob
Reaction score
password protect email

Having same issue. No answer besides hiding email icon.

Henrik

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you dl the app "mailboxes" from app store you get a password protected mailbox client that prompts for 4 digit passcode every time you open the app. Put this app on your ipad meny bar and you'll have what you're looking for!

Don

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you dl the app "mailboxes" from app store you get a password protected mailbox client that prompts for 4 digit passcode every time you open the app. Put this app on your ipad meny bar and you'll have what you're looking for!

Good tip... But unfortunatly that app only works on gmail... I wuold like to have psw protection on the exchange mailserver.:confused:

Simon14530

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Email protect

hi, is there any way to hide or password protect the mail icon? thanks.

I've found you can just delete one character of your password in settings and the account becomes unviewable, it will however save all details until you return, so you can just retype the single missing password character without having to retype everything again

Most reactions

Latest posts