What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need help with hiding mail icon

McLaughlin1341

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is there a way to hide or lock the mail icon on the iPad? I work with the school system and do not want the students to be creating email accounts.

biobunny

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Welcome to the iPad forums, please post a introductory post so you can get a better welcome, this forum isn't just so you only post when your in need of a answer to your question so also participate in other threads. At the settings menu you can find restrictions and there you'll be able to restrict certain stuff. I do advise you not be too evil and restrict allot. You cannot truly block/hide the mail icon without jailbreaking which for you I do not recommend.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is there a way to hide or lock the mail icon on the iPad? I work with the school system and do not want the students to be creating email accounts.

Good to hear from you. You’ll find a whole bunch of iPad enthusiasts in this Forum who are only too willing to help other iPad owners and to hear of their experiences. Don’t be afraid to post any questions you may have or use the ‘Search’ button near the top of the Forum web page. I usually find I discover one new interesting and useful piece of information about my iPad every day - and often not even what I was looking for!!

It is possible to stop your students creating new email accounts

'Settings', 'General', 'Restrictions' (Here you will have to enter the existing 'passcode' or create a new one if you've not got any restrictions set)

'Allow'

Here you can stop them using Safari (but not Mail) and YouTube
You can prevent them installing and deleting apps

'Allow Changes'

Here you can stop them creating new email accounts

'Allowed Content'

Here you can stop them making in-app purchases

So you can prevent them surfing the web, deleting and installing new apps, making in-app purchases, creating new email accounts etc.

But, as far as I know, and other Forum members please don't hesitate to correct me if I'm wrong, you can't prevent them from opening the iPad's native email app 'Mail' - though I don't think, from reading your post, that's what you wanted to do.

Don't hesitate to get back in touch with us if the above doesn't answer your question. We're all iPad enthusiasts here and love to talk endlessly about our iPads....

Hope to hear from you soon with your thoughts about the iPad.

Have fun and enjoy your iPad

If you don’t already have it you can download a copy of the iPad manual for free from

http://manuals.info.apple.com/en_US/...User_Guide.pdf

Also the iPad2 manual is available at the Apple iBooks store. It’s free too.

Tim
Scotland

frankfel

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tim SPRACKLEN said:
Good to hear from you. You’ll find a whole bunch of iPad enthusiasts in this Forum who are only too willing to help other iPad owners and to hear of their experiences. Don’t be afraid to post any questions you may have or use the ‘Search’ button near the top of the Forum web page. I usually find I discover one new interesting and useful piece of information about my iPad every day - and often not even what I was looking for!!

It is possible to stop your students creating new email accounts

'Settings', 'General', 'Restrictions' (Here you will have to enter the existing 'passcode' or create a new one if you've not got any restrictions set)

'Allow'

Here you can stop them using Safari (but not Mail) and YouTube
You can prevent them installing and deleting apps

'Allow Changes'

Here you can stop them creating new email accounts

'Allowed Content'

Here you can stop them making in-app purchases

So you can prevent them surfing the web, deleting and installing new apps, making in-app purchases, creating new email accounts etc.

But, as far as I know, and other Forum members please don't hesitate to correct me if I'm wrong, you can't prevent them from opening the iPad's native email app 'Mail' - though I don't think, from reading your post, that's what you wanted to do.

Don't hesitate to get back in touch with us if the above doesn't answer your question. We're all iPad enthusiasts here and love to talk endlessly about our iPads....

Hope to hear from you soon with your thoughts about the iPad.

Have fun and enjoy your iPad

If you donÂ’t already have it you can download a copy of the iPad manual for free from

http://manuals.info.apple.com/en_US/...User_Guide.pdf

Also the iPad2 manual is available at the Apple iBooks store. ItÂ’s free too.

Tim
Scotland
'

Hi

I want to be able to lock some apps and I was happy to find this POST, especially the bit .....

When I went to this site I found that I have TWO Codes ..a. General pass code and a Restrictions pass code. I can open and alter the General code but not the Restrictions.

I do not remember setting such a code!

I tried to open it with my General code and with 0000. No luck.

It now registers Three Failed Attempts!

Any advice or suggestions would be welcomed

Frank ... Aka frankfel

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I believe there is a timed lock out after a certain number of failed attempts, after a certain time, you can try again...I hope someone can confirm this.

If you cannot remember this code you will need to restore your iPad to be rid of the Restrictions Lock. Have you ever backed up your iPad? If you have a backup which does not include this restriction you will then be able to restore from the backup. Otherwise I'm afraid you are out of luck and will have to restore your iPad as new and will need to manually put everything back.

iPad 2 3G 64gb

Most reactions

Latest posts