What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hey guys -- need some (easy I assume) help !!!

Chris561

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey guys I have a 16GB wifi iPad 3(new iPad) wifi .

I'm relocating to a new apartment that has high speed Internet , but not wifi. They say don't use a router but I'm sure that's my only option. I'm clueless on routers ... Any ideas what I should get/need to do ? Can I use my PC as a "hotspot" ?

I am JB'ed if that makes anything easier .. ?

(next question) if I want to unjailbreak ... Can I use any PC with iTunes ? (curious because my iPad was JB'ed on my girlfriends PC and I'm worried if she "leaves me" I won't be able to unjailbreak.

I'm moving tomorrow so all help appreciated , and thanks in advance !:)

Macdarwin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can restore your ipad in any PC with itunes and it will reset back the first time you turn it on and that will be unjailbroken. You can use any routers you desire but i recommend getting N router. Good luck

OP
C

Chris561

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If they said don't use a router, they are obviously clueless!

I was just going to say lol ...

Because they told me that -- is it possible they will know? I don't really use my PC I mainly just use my iPad ...

So is there anything that can make my iPad connect with a cord through another device ? I heard of an "airport express" but don't know what it is ... I'm worried they will have a sign in page or something blocking the use of a router

(it's an extended stay hotel , more like an apartment ... someone said in a review for same hotel in a different state -- that they used a router.

So what does the airport express do ? Just trying to see if I can get a $40 router and be okay ... Or if I should get this airport if it will give my iPad an Ethernet port through it so it's like plugging in a PC ?

OP
C

Chris561

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I also have a "dell Inspiron mini 1012" laptop my mom just got me ... Could I possibly use this little guy as a router ? I'm pretty sure it's wifi capable .

Just wondering -- maybe I can save a few bucks :) , so now I'm just asking ... will the laptop work ? Will an inexpensive ($40) router work ? , or am I better off just getting the apple airport expres ?

Thanks again.

iDeviceGuru

iPF Noob
Reaction score
All routers do the same job but at different speeds and capacities, the more expensive the contract the better the plan is more likely to be, on to the restoring the iPad is that you can restore it on any laptop/computer/terminal. All you will need to do is sign in, so if your girlfriend leaves you don't stress! Yes you can create a hotspot from your laptop, only if I has a connection! You can also set up tethering from an iPhone 3GS or later if it's on a contract, you can also get hotspots from android phones.

The iDevice Guru

Most reactions

Latest posts