What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Here's a Fun One!! 5th Gen...16.51

Kenworth

iPF Novice
Reaction score
My old charging cord started to fray at the IPAD end but worked fine.
No problem, had others.

Grabbed a good one. Plugged it into the IPAD, then into the little charger and nothing!
For some reason, I unplugged it from the charger and back in again........it starts charging!!!
BUT....unplugging it from the IPAD and back in again and nothing!!
Back to unplugging it from the charger and back in again and it's back to charging!!
Nothing is intermittent. I can twist the wire all over the place and it stays charging with no problem.
Does the same thing with my Wife's charger!! Unplug it from the charger and back in and all is well..........Anyone seen anything like this??
Thanks....Ken

Jupiter7

iPad Fan
Reaction score
My old charging cord started to fray at the IPAD end but worked fine.
No problem, had others.

Grabbed a good one. Plugged it into the IPAD, then into the little charger and nothing!
For some reason, I unplugged it from the charger and back in again........it starts charging!!!
BUT....unplugging it from the IPAD and back in again and nothing!!
Back to unplugging it from the charger and back in again and it's back to charging!!
Nothing is intermittent. I can twist the wire all over the place and it stays charging with no problem.
Does the same thing with my Wife's charger!! Unplug it from the charger and back in and all is well..........Anyone seen anything like this??
Thanks....Ken
Sounds as if the charging port on the iPad has been damaged. You can get replacements. You might even just have dirt in the port or pieces of the old cord. You could try very gently cleaning it out.

OP
Kenworth

Kenworth

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Sounds as if the charging port on the iPad has been damaged. You can get replacements. You might even just have dirt in the port or pieces of the old cord. You could try very gently cleaning it out.
Thanks for the reply but sorry, other cords including my Wife's work fine, even the frayed cord works fine....
it's something more insidious it seems with "this" specific cord....Ken

Jupiter7

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply but sorry, other cords including my Wife's work fine, even the frayed cord works fine....
it's something more insidious it seems with "this" specific cord....Ken
Perhaps that specific cord is not an Apple approved one.

OP
Kenworth

Kenworth

iPF Novice
Reaction score
In any case you should stop using the cord that’s causing the problem.
Yes, that's sensible suggestion to stop using it.
Just a very peculiar situation. It's a Jet Tech cord.

I suspect it has "capacitance" the IPAD doesn't like to see at it's charging port.
by unplugging it and then plugging it in again at the charger end, the IPAD doesn't sense this "capacitance".
The cord was probably made wrong, with conductors "to close" together!
Thanks very much for the responses........Ken

Most reactions

Latest posts