What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad 3 only displaying Apple logo OR black screen (possible 6.02 iOS update issue?)

Old Gab

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have an iPad 3 @ 32GB about 1 year old. A few days ago I did an update to the 6.02 iOS. It worked fine for about 2 days or so after the update. However, yesterday the iPad was at about 20% battery and I left home for a few hours. When I got back the screen was black and the iPad was off - which already worried me a bit since never before the battery didn't go flat in stand-by mode in just 3 or 4 hours (not even from 5% battery). Things just got worse because when I plugged it into the charger it didn't show the "red-battery" logo and it started to continually display the Apple logo - without ending the booting sequence. I let it charge for a fairly amount of time (several hours) just in case - so the battery should be charged to 100% by now.

This is what I tried so far and IT DIDN'T WORK:
  1. Reset it by pressing at the same time the Home & Stand-by buttons. I did this with the iPad plugged into the charger, into my laptop (HP Probook 6560b, Windows 7), and unplugged. I did it for many times and I kept holding the 2 buttons for even 1 minute or so. I have to mention that when it is unplugged OR plugged into my laptop the screen goes totally black (not even the Apple logo showing).
  2. Restore it using iTunes (last version & fresh re-install). The problem is that when I plug it into the laptop the screen of the iPad goes totally black as mentioned before - and furthermore it is no longer displayed under Devices in iTunes (not even with an error-sign - all lines are grey in the Devices menu).
  3. Force-restore to factory settings - as indicated on the Apple support pages. That is: plugged the cord into the laptop, pressed the Home button and while doing that plugged the cord into the iPad and then waiting for the "connect to iTunes" logo to appear on the iPad. Well, nothing happened - the screen remained black even after trying this many times, on different USB ports, with no other USB devices attached to the laptop and pressing the Home button for various periods of time (up to a minute...).
Curious enough, when I keep pressing the Home button while the iPad is plugged into the charger the "connect to iTunes" logo appears - to no use though, as it disappears and the screen goes black as soon as I remove it from the charger.

Questions:
  1. Is there anything else I should try before going to an Apple store?
  2. Has anyone else had this type of problem?
  3. Can the problem be related to the update to 6.02 iOS? And if yes, what should I do next?
Thank you for your answers and tips,
Gab

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't have a solution as you seem to have tried many things. But just a couple of quick questions:
** you do have the latest iTunes downloaded onto you laptop, and have done your syncing through that via your connected laptop?
** why do you refer to iOS6.0.2 update when the latest update for the iPad3 is 6.0.1? (6.0.2 is only applicable to the iPad Mini and, I think, the iPhone?)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

iJamesH

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yep 6.0.2 is not available for the iPad 3 only 6.0.1.

Most reactions

Latest posts