What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

help with my ipad2

silenth2o

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hello..

i have an ipad2 gsm with a broken power/sleep button.. recently i updated it to the latest ios then had a jailbreak..
now, my nephew installed a mod that i don't know and the screen just went blank and unresponsive..
but, whenever we plug the device, we would hear a charging sound (indicates its still turned on)..
i want to hard reset the device but i cannot with the broken power/sleep button..

i saw something in youtube about putting the device in the freezer to turn it off. i tried and it failed.
i've been searching all over the net.. even saw a post using winscp but the ipad is not connected to our wifi..
i wanted to restore but the itunes prompts me to respond on the ipad (i can't with the blank and unresponsive screen)..

can anyone suggest solutions?

thanks in advance for replying..

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
hello.. i have an ipad2 gsm with a broken power/sleep button.. recently i updated it to the latest ios then had a jailbreak.. now, my nephew installed a mod that i don't know and the screen just went blank and unresponsive.. but, whenever we plug the device, we would hear a charging sound (indicates its still turned on).. i want to hard reset the device but i cannot with the broken power/sleep button.. i saw something in youtube about putting the device in the freezer to turn it off. i tried and it failed. i've been searching all over the net.. even saw a post using winscp but the ipad is not connected to our wifi.. i wanted to restore but the itunes prompts me to respond on the ipad (i can't with the blank and unresponsive screen).. can anyone suggest solutions? thanks in advance for replying..
Try leaving it unplugged until the battery dies and the iPad turns off.

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi and welcome to the Forum!

I've moved your thread to our Hacking Section where the knowledgeable folk there are better able to assist you in fixing this issue.

Could you ask your nephew what it was he installed? They may need to know what it was.

OP
S

silenth2o

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Try leaving it unplugged until the battery dies and the iPad turns off.

That should take awhile.. the last time i remember the battery was at 97%.. how long does it take to drain the battery with the screen off?

Hi and welcome to the Forum!
I've moved your thread to our Hacking Section where the knowledgeable folk there are better able to assist you in fixing this issue.
Could you ask your nephew what it was he installed? They may need to know what it was.

Hello and thank you!
he said that he installed iFile..

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
That should take awhile.. the last time i remember the battery was at 97%.. how long does it take to drain the battery with the screen off? Hello and thank you! he said that he installed iFile..
It could take days. With your iPad in the state it's in, however, it's the only way to get your iPad to power down.

OP
S

silenth2o

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It could take days. With your iPad in the state it's in, however, it's the only way to get your iPad to power down.

are there any other ways? like using some kind of software that would command the ipad via usb to restart?

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Then I'm afraid there is no way, that it know of, to remotely access that iPad from another device. Hopefully, running the battery down will help it (when you turn it back on).

Sorry, but it looks as if you'll have to wait for the battery.

Marilyn

OP
S

silenth2o

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Then I'm afraid there is no way, that it know of, to remotely access that iPad from another device. Hopefully, running the battery down will help it (when you turn it back on).
Sorry, but it looks as if you'll have to wait for the battery.
Marilyn

Let's say I had it loaded.. What would I do?
I want to know so that when this happens again, I won't be waiting for the battery to die.. Again..
It's been more than 2 weeks and I think it's still alive..

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I want to know so that when this happens again, I won't be waiting for the battery to die.. Again..

The code afc2add, when installed, allows you to connect to your iPad via USB cord and use a program like iFunbox to access the phone. OpenSSH allows you to access the iPad wirelessly by using programs like PuTTY & WinSCP (for Windows machines) or Cyberduck (for Macs).

Once you have access to the iPad, you can run terminal commands and the one you'd use in your case is "reboot" (or "reboot now"). I've never done this and don't know if it would have helped, but it's what I would have recommended you try if you had either afc2add or OpenSSH on your iPad.

Marilyn

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score

You'd first have to install Afc2add or OpenSSH. Afc2add is for USB tunneling, and OpenSSH is for wireless access. Open up your command terminal such as Terminal or PuTTy, find your device's IP if applicable through your ISP gateway, and connect to your device by entering the proper user and password where applicable. Once you're connected to root, run the command 'reboot' without the apostrophes and tap enter to reboot your device. If you're stuck in Safe Mode and you don't have a standalone respring tweak installed like Bootstrap, you can run the command 'killall -SEGV springboard' to trigger a respring (again without the apostrophes).

If you install OpenSSH onto your device, make sure you change your password from alpine to something more suitable of a password. You can do so by SSH-ing or tunneling onto your device, open up your choice of Command Terminal, access using your user and password, then run the command 'passwd', then type your new password twice. Note that the characters will not display on your screen, nor will your cursor move. Run the command 'run passwd mobile' and repeat the process again, and you're set.

OP
S

silenth2o

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You'd first have to install Afc2add or OpenSSH. Afc2add is for USB tunneling, and OpenSSH is for wireless access. Open up your command terminal such as Terminal or PuTTy, find your device's IP if applicable through your ISP gateway, and connect to your device by entering the proper user and password where applicable. Once you're connected to root, run the command 'reboot' without the apostrophes and tap enter to reboot your device. If you're stuck in Safe Mode and you don't have a standalone respring tweak installed like Bootstrap, you can run the command 'killall -SEGV springboard' to trigger a respring (again without the apostrophes).

If you install OpenSSH onto your device, make sure you change your password from alpine to something more suitable of a password. You can do so by SSH-ing or tunneling onto your device, open up your choice of Command Terminal, access using your user and password, then run the command 'passwd', then type your new password twice. Note that the characters will not display on your screen, nor will your cursor move. Run the command 'run passwd mobile' and repeat the process again, and you're set.

The code afc2add, when installed, allows you to connect to your iPad via USB cord and use a program like iFunbox to access the phone. OpenSSH allows you to access the iPad wirelessly by using programs like PuTTY & WinSCP (for Windows machines) or Cyberduck (for Macs).

Once you have access to the iPad, you can run terminal commands and the one you'd use in your case is "reboot" (or "reboot now"). I've never done this and don't know if it would have helped, but it's what I would have recommended you try if you had either afc2add or OpenSSH on your iPad.

Marilyn

I'd really like to know more about these.. Do you have any links to websites that I could read and learn on?

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Unfortunately anything related to possible commands and such are more compilations than sources. The commands are fairly similar to that of Linux/Ubuntu Terminal commands as well as it's Linux/Ubuntu based with the exception of iOS exclusive commands such as springboard commands.

Most reactions

Latest posts