What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

HELP! Pages iPad app not autosaving documents properly!

iniesta

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, I am having some major issues with the Pages app on my iPad 2 (5.1.1).

Last weekend, I had to attend an important seminar, and I took some notes on the iPad's Pages app. My Pages app version is 1.71 (741).

However when I tried to access the notes again, I discovered that the Pages app didn't autosave my notes properly.

I didn't actually close the Pages app after I had finished the seminar yesterday. I simply put my iPad into standby mode, with the Pages app still running, and put it into my bag.

The latest time of autosaving was supposed to have been at about half past six in the evening yesterday - the time that the seminar had finished yesterday.

When I opened the iPad, I discovered that my notes had NOT been saved properly. Only the first one quarter of a page had been saved. The rest of my notes were completely gone. (I took roughly about six pages of notes altogether).

Is there any way to retrieve the notes that I had taken, and hopefully solve this issue with my iPad's Pages not autosaving the notes properly?

Please could someone help, because the notes are important and I really have no idea what to do.

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Have you tried to scroll further down the document to see if it is there? Or have you looked to see if another Page document was created and you didn't realize it?

Not sure if you have tried this yet. Sometimes it's a good idea to do the following which are immediate fixes and re-test.

Try this:

1. Force the app to close?
2. Try to restart your iPad?
3. Try to do a reset?

You can try this in order, if an app becomes misbehaves...

Force the app to close down*by pushing the home button twice or by doing a 4-finger swipe to bring up your multi-task bar. This will show all the apps that you have visited. Press the app, until it begins to shake. Close out the apps by pressing the red circle in each app. It will only quit the app and not delete. Than try to re-open the app and test out.

If that doesn't work, restart the iPad by pressing the power switch down to power off.

Third is to do a reset by holding the power switch and home button together until you see the apple logo. Hope that helps!

OP
I

iniesta

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Have you tried to scroll further down the document to see if it is there?

Tried on the day itself, and unfortunately, no. All I saw was 1/4 page of notes and 5 3/4 worth of blank pages.

Or have you looked to see if another Page document was created and you didn't realize it?

Just checked... unfortunately, no. :(

Not sure if you have tried this yet. Sometimes it's a good idea to do the following which are immediate fixes and re-test.

Try this:

1. Force the app to close?
2. Try to restart your iPad?
3. Try to do a reset?

You can try this in order, if an app becomes misbehaves...

Force the app to close down*by pushing the home button twice or by doing a 4-finger swipe to bring up your multi-task bar. This will show all the apps that you have visited. Press the app, until it begins to shake. Close out the apps by pressing the red circle in each app. It will only quit the app and not delete. Than try to re-open the app and test out.

If that doesn't work, restart the iPad by pressing the power switch down to power off.

Third is to do a reset by holding the power switch and home button together until you see the apple logo. Hope that helps!

Just tried all 3 in the order that you've recommended... unfortunately nothing seemed to work... am still greeted by 1/4 page of notes and the other 5 3/4 was just blank pages... :( :(

Really still hoping that someone has a solution...

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Oh...I was hoping that this would have helped. Maybe others will see this and have some other options to help you.

If I come across anything more I'll post back.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Try printing it out and see what prints, or email as a PDF and see if the resulting PDF is complete. The blank pages indicate that Pages knows that the quarter page is not all there is, because any blank pages would automatically disappear.

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'd be interested to see if that works and/or even backing up with itunes as another solution. Also-if you have another idevice that has the Pages app on it, to see if it syncs to that properly.

However, I am still perplexed why the text isn't showing up for the remaining pages.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah, me too. I use Pages a lot, and have it syncing between two devices via iCloud and have never come across anything like this.

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I haven't either and I have used Pages for many documents that had multiple pages.

Asharp

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It's a long shot, but have you tried downloading the document from icloud.com?

OP
I

iniesta

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This gets even weirder. I tried to email the file concerned to myself as a .pdf, but instead of opening up the email app and selected email Document - .pdf file, my Pages app just crashed.

I've also tried downloading from icloud.com onto my Macbook Pro (Mountain Lion) too, but i still only get the first 1/4 page worth of notes. The rest are blank.

Also tried accessing the same file on my MacBook Pro with Pages also installed, but again, i just see 1/4 page of notes and the rest of the pages that follow are blank.

However the thumbnail image of my document shows that the first page is completely filled with text. So the full notes must be hiding somewhere - just that i somehow cannot access them. Strange.

Never have had these problems with Pages previously before this.

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi, I am having some major issues with the Pages app on my iPad 2 (5.1.1).

Last weekend, I had to attend an important seminar, and I took some notes on the iPad's Pages app. My Pages app version is 1.71 (741).

However when I tried to access the notes again, I discovered that the Pages app didn't autosave my notes properly.

I didn't actually close the Pages app after I had finished the seminar yesterday. I simply put my iPad into standby mode, with the Pages app still running, and put it into my bag.

The latest time of autosaving was supposed to have been at about half past six in the evening yesterday - the time that the seminar had finished yesterday.

When I opened the iPad, I discovered that my notes had NOT been saved properly. Only the first one quarter of a page had been saved. The rest of my notes were completely gone. (I took roughly about six pages of notes altogether).

Is there any way to retrieve the notes that I had taken, and hopefully solve this issue with my iPad's Pages not autosaving the notes properly?

Please could someone help, because the notes are important and I really have no idea what to do.

After re-reading your post-part of the problem may be the version your iPad is running on: 5.1.1.

We are now at ios 6.1 and Pages has gone through at least 2 updates that I remember.

Addendum: I just checked my Pages app and it is on on 1.7.1 also. It also says it will run on iOS 5.1.1 or later. So I am even more perplexed, but I am wondering if the crashes are related to the older version OS you are running for other apps that have been optimized for 6.0?

Last edited:
OP
I

iniesta

iPF Noob
Reaction score
skimonkey said:
Addendum: I just checked my Pages app and it is on on 1.7.1 also. It also says it will run on iOS 5.1.1 or later. So I am even more perplexed, but I am wondering if the crashes are related to the older version OS you are running for other apps that have been optimized for 6.0?

Is there anyone else who may be able to verify if this could be so?

Last edited:

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I just checked my App Store on my iPad. Pages doesn't need updating. Is version 1.7.1 (741) the latest version of Pages for the iPad?

Do you think the problems are because i'm using Pages with an older IOS and there's compatibility issues?

So the notes cannot be retrieved, in that case, or...?

You didn't see my edit to my post above...that is what shows on my Pages app as well in terms of version-it includes 5.1.1 as part of the OS to run on.

It sounds like we have exhausted everything that we could think of. Unless anyone else thinks of anything, I am afraid that your notes may have been lost.

OP
I

iniesta

iPF Noob
Reaction score
skimonkey said:
You didn't see my edit to my post above...that is what shows on my Pages app as well in terms of version-it includes 5.1.1 as part of the OS to run on.

It sounds like we have exhausted everything that we could think of. Unless anyone else thinks of anything, I am afraid that your notes may have been lost.

My apologies, I saw the edit after i posted, actually..

Though as i said, i do find it weird at the same time, that the thumbnail always shows the document (the first page at least) in its entirety - and not just 1/4 page of text.. it's the case for both ipad and macbook...

Most reactions