What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help needed setting up my Hotmail account on iPad

Pughdog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi. Having great difficulty setting up my Hotmail account on my new iPad :(

Every time i attempt to set up a new account I get the message

"The username or password for pop3.live.com is incorrect"

I've tried every conceivable password and username combo and can't figure it out. Is there no way to reset the password or have it emailed to me like a normal forgotten password?

Any help greatly appreciated :)

TheBigCheese

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi. Having great difficulty setting up my Hotmail account on my new iPad :(

Every time i attempt to set up a new account I get the message

"The username or password for pop3.live.com is incorrect"

I've tried every conceivable password and username combo and can't figure it out. Is there no way to reset the password or have it emailed to me like a normal forgotten password?

Any help greatly appreciated :)

You should set it up as Exchange instead of POP3.

Windows Live Hotmail gets Exchange ActiveSync

OP
P

Pughdog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That sounds great but I have no idea how to do it :eek:

Can you talk me through it...?

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My advice is simple set up a gmail account and forward your existing hotmail account assuming you have one to gmail. The mail app can access gmail with out issue. Their are known problems with hotmail and Microsoft with the iPad and to my knowledge have not been resolved yet. The reason I suggest the above is gmail has the best filters for spam and is bullet proof. I sync all my mail this way using gmail as a central email account between my MacBook, iPod touch , iPhone and iPad. It does not matter where I am or even if I do not have any of the above with me i can still retrieve my mail from some 4 email addresses using one gmail account from a Internet cafe. It is so easy.

OP
P

Pughdog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks Col ;-)

I've set up a gmail account but a couple of issues, it said it will forward mails from hotmail for only 30 days? And worse still I the email i received explaining that the link to set it up doesn't work, it just opens up a new page with my inbox :-/

I'm guessing there's a way to have your emils from other accounts forwarded permanently?

Thanks again for your help ;-)

TheBigCheese

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Dud you click on the link I put in my previous reply? Just set up a new emailaccount of type Exchange and use the information in the linked page to fill in the blanks.

TheBigCheese

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My advice is simple set up a gmail account and forward your existing hotmail account assuming you have one to gmail. The mail app can access gmail with out issue. Their are known problems with hotmail and Microsoft with the iPad and to my knowledge have not been resolved yet. The reason I suggest the above is gmail has the best filters for spam and is bullet proof. I sync all my mail this way using gmail as a central email account between my MacBook, iPod touch , iPhone and iPad. It does not matter where I am or even if I do not have any of the above with me i can still retrieve my mail from some 4 email addresses using one gmail account from a Internet cafe. It is so easy.

This has a lot of disadvantages. You can not get to your Hotmail folders or delete or file your email. If you use Exchange you have full function. Also, your replies will come from Hotmail, not Gmail which may confuse the people getting the replies and may windup in their SPAM folders.

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm guessing there's a way to have your emils from other accounts forwarded permanently?

You mean, like forever? They assume that within that 30 days, you would have given everyone your new email.

I like Colin's suggestions. Very easy and that is what I did. Using PoP, Exchange and all that is/was not for me.

OP
P

Pughdog

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Dud you click on the link I put in my previous reply? Just set up a new emailaccount of type Exchange and use the information in the linked page to fill in the blanks.

Yes, i clicked on it. Imagine you're talking to someone with very little techy know how (then dumb it down even more!) :D

New email account of type exchange??

i just want to access my email, I don't really want or need a new email address and don't want to have to inform everyone I have a new one.

I have an iPhone 4 coming soon too, I'm going to have the same problem there right?

bL33d

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i have not looked myself into this as i use the email app for my gmail and i just made a hotmail link icon for my wifes hotmail :p but do they make a hotmail app? i know they make a yahoo mail app for android. Its worth looking for...

dav1dm0ss

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Yes, i clicked on it. Imagine you're talking to someone with very little techy know how (then dumb it down even more!) :D

New email account of type exchange??

i just want to access my email, I don't really want or need a new email address and don't want to have to inform everyone I have a new one.

I have an iPhone 4 coming soon too, I'm going to have the same problem there right?

Guys I just tried this advice - I am a newcommer to iPAD having owned one for just 2 days and was having the same pop3 error. I used my existing hotmail account - no changes and used the info on the link to set up my account on the ipad and it worked first time - happy days

OP
P

Pughdog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok so I must just be dumb then as I still haven't figured it out...

Any advice David?

dav1dm0ss

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok so I must just be dumb then as I still haven't figured it out...

Any advice David?

Just follow the link in the fist advice you got and have look at the details you need then on your iPad go into settings then email,calendars select add account then select exchange as account type put in your email account detail and normal password then click next this will then bring up an extra box for server - input the server details m.hotmail.com click next and you are done

OP
P

Pughdog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok, so near....

Got all that but it still says password is incorrect :(

Most reactions

Latest posts