What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Setting up iPad with Hotmail and making folders visible

Bossman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I bought my partner an iPad for Christmas but I am having problems setting up her Hotmail account. If I set it up as a POP account the folders on the web server are not loaded and only Trash is visible. I have seen suggestions on here to set it up as an Exchange account and it downloads the folders but greys them out making it impossible to save to there.

She isn't keen on changing from Hotmail so I would love to be able to sort it out. Any suggestions are very welcome.

Hope everyone has a great new year.

leeharpin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Bossman said:
I bought my partner an iPad for Christmas but I am having problems setting up her Hotmail account. If I set it up as a POP account the folders on the web server are not loaded and only Trash is visible. I have seen suggestions on here to set it up as an Exchange account and it downloads the folders but greys them out making it impossible to save to there.

She isn't keen on changing from Hotmail so I would love to be able to sort it out. Any suggestions are very welcome.

Hope everyone has a great new year. cdf89dde03

I am having a similar problem trying to set up one of my email addresses. I have managed to sort my AOL account but struggling to sort my UWCLUB (Utility Warehouse) email. I have this email set up on my Outlook on my laptop but for some reason can't set it up on my ipad2. I have tried everything but it says cannot verify or not responding. Any help would be great, thanks

M

Manou

You need to set up your hotmail account using Microsoft Exchange. Here are the step by step instructions (it sounds more difficult than it actually is :eek:)

How to Setup Hotmail ActiveSync on an i-Device
1. From the Home Screen, tap Settings >“Mail, Contacts, Calendar” > “Add Account” > “Microsoft Exchange”
2. Enter the following in fields:
Email: your full Hotmail email address
Domain: Leave blank
Username: your full Hotmail email address
Password: your password
Description: Hotmail =>Server: m.hotmail.com => SSL: Enabled => Certificate: Accept the SSL certificate when prompted
Mail, Contacts, Calendar, Tasks: All can be enabled.
3. After finishing the configuration, select the data to sync and tap on Save button.Your iPad will connect to Hotmail ActieSync and perform an initial sync for the selected data. You are able to push email, calendar, and contacts with Exchange ActiveSync now. Enjoy it!

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
Bossman

Bossman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Bossman said:
Thanks for the information guys. I finally solved the problem after updating to IOS 5. The email installation types now include Windows Live and it sets it up with full synchronisation.
The solution you provided works great for IOS 4 so everything provided is very useful.

Thanks again CLOSED

Most reactions