What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help - Lose 3G When Jailbreaking

kpbeats

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a big problem with my ipad 2, basically every time i jailbreak my ipad 2 5.1.1 (9b206) i lose my 3g network connection i have tried lots of things such as

resetting network settings
restoring then re jailbreaking
restoring with custom ipsw then re jailbreaking
using different tools to jailbreak like the latest absinthe and the latest redsnow
and every time i do these methods i always set up as a new ipad as i thought maybe my old backup was corrupted

none of these things are helping. Does anyone have any other ideas

zphone

iPF Noob
Reaction score
kpbeats said:
I have a big problem with my ipad 2, basically every time i jailbreak my ipad 2 5.1.1 (9b206) i lose my 3g network connection i have tried lots of things such as

using different tools to jailbreak like the latest absinthe and the latest redsnow
and every time i do these methods i always set up as a new ipad as i thought maybe my old backup was corrupted

Make sure you have a backup of when it was Unjailbreaked that you can restore and not a backup that was made when it was on a previous jailbreak.

Also try without a restore to make sure that your 3G works that will help narrow it down to the restore being the culprit.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

When you had your jail break the first time, did you, at any time, have SBSettings installed and messed about with the 3G toggle?

You may want to try again - but get SBSettings loaded. Then, play around with the toggle (turning it on/off, maybe with a restart in between).

Sometimes, the setting really "sticks" - even if you remove the tweak and go back to stock.

Is all I can think of to help. Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Marilyn

P.S. Since you talk about jail breaking, I've taken the liberties of moving your post over to the Hacking section. Thanks for your understanding.

Last edited:

Redneck_Randy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I just had to rejailbreak my ipad 2 cause I lost 3G and all I could get was the Edge network. Not sure what caused it. Before I rejailbroke I deleted Cydia apps one at a time to see if one of them was the cause, no luck, still couldn't get 3G back. Did the same with Apple apps, still no 3G

JPR1972

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just had to rejailbreak my ipad 2 cause I lost 3G and all I could get was the Edge network. Not sure what caused it. Before I rejailbroke I deleted Cydia apps one at a time to see if one of them was the cause, no luck, still couldn't get 3G back. Did the same with Apple apps, still no 3G

Exactly the same thing happened to me a couple of weeks ago - I tried the same things but they didn't work and so I too had to restore and reJB. Restoring the backup from iCloud brought back the same problem with 3G disappearing, but fortunately I was able to do it again and restore from an earlier backup (which was whilst I was still JB). I don't think it was what Marilyn suggested that caused it. But it would be good to know what other reasons / solutions there might be - I was lucky it was still possible to JB as it could happen again outside of "the window".

Any other suggestions as to what can cause this and how to avoid it short of a restore?

Thanks

cipriani

iPF Noob
Reaction score
A friend had this problem on his jailbroken ipad 3 few days ago.. Tried to re-restore & re-jailbreak again but still could not get the 3g signal.. All the signal he receives was the edge network & 'circular logo' network everytime..

Went to Apple care centre & the care centre guy told that an ipad would not likely have a signal problems.. It would either be sim slot unable to read sim card, faulty sim card or service provider having technical issues..
Went to the service provider, changed into a new sim card but still couldn't get the 3g signal.. The service provider guy even take the initiative to try his own sim card & put it on the ipad but yet still no 3g signal..

My friend then call me up saying he wanna borrow my ipad which is a stock ipad 3 on ios 6.0.1.. He then placed his sim card on my ipad intending to experiment which is causing the faults & few minutes later a message pops out..

CARRIER SETTINGS UPDATE message.. Installs it & managed to get 3g on my ipad..
Took out his sim card & put it back on his ipad & finally he managed to get the 3g signal till today?
Maybe this helps, maybe it does not.. Hopefully it helps..

Also I noted that his Sim card carrier is different when slot into his ipad & my ipad which is indicated with the yellow arrow in the picture..

Attachments

• image-1598214805.jpg
    image-1598214805.jpg
    6.9 KB · Views: 638
  • image-1078276047.jpg
    image-1078276047.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 397
  • image-3998912929.jpg
    image-3998912929.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 390

wench

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I also had a,problem with 3 g, new to the forum and tried to post my thread to you, with no avail, anyway FID helped me by having me reprovisitioning my account. Look for the thread about 3G problem. Dated 2 jan I think. Good advice in this forum.
Good Luck

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Bingoldsby

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had that problem with my Verizon iPhone about a year ago. I removed Mobile Substrate and re-installed it, and the 3G came back. One thing EVERYONE who has this problem might try BEFORE removing the OS and reinstalling/rejailbreaking is to put the device in safe mode (Hold the volume up button down while rebooting) and see if the 3g comes back. If it does, then I'm not sure of the next best procedure, but I'll be it's a lot less painful than wiping the thing and reinstalling/rejailbreaking.

Most reactions