What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help-how to remove unwanted pop up spam advertisement

Rufus1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, I am new to this forum, and fairly new to the iPad. I have an iPad 2. Recently, when I turned on the iPad (probably more precise to say I "awoke" it), to the right of where it says "slide to unlock", there appeared what I guess you would call a new icon. Previously, there had never been anything there. This icon, or button, has an image of a flower. When I tap on this icon, an advertisement for " incredimail" pops up, advertising " free. animations for your email." The advertisement says "click here," yet nothing happens when clicking on it.

I don't understand how or why this appeared, and I have not succeeded in removing it. I would greatly appreciate if someone can explain how it got there, and how to get rid of it. Please bear in mind that I am not familiar with most computer/iPad terminology.

Also, I am concerned that this may indicate either a virus or hacking. If so, what should I do?

Finally, two more questions...when I go on this site via the app, I cannot find a way to start a new thread. I was able to do this new thread by typing in the web address. Also, what is a " sticky thread. "?

Thanks for you patience and help.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi there and welcome.

That button links directly to your photos, check out your photo app and you will probable find the offending image in their somewhere......just delete it. BTW, the button with the flower on it has always been there.

There is lots of good advice and info on here plus plenty of members all too willing to help with any problems.

Remember, search is your friend.......and please don't forget to read the rules http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rules-help-info/2119-forum-rules-everybody-please-read.html

These are the hacking section rules for all you jail breakers (and would be jail breakers) http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-hacking/2892-hacking-section-rules-please-read.html

We also have an app for this forum. The link to download the app is: Discussion Forum for iPad Users for iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad on the iTunes App Store

If you have other Apple products or are interested in other Apple kit then why not join our sister forum too at http://www.appleforums.net/

Finally, if you still haven't had enough, how about a video explaining about our other forums (note:you may want to play this at half speed but hey, why shouldn't Phil be excited about our forums!)

The Archangel

Last edited by a moderator:

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Also, If you are using the app, touch forums button (bottom left of screen), navigate to the forum you want to post in and then touch the box with an arrow coming out of it (top right of screen).

A sticky is a thread that always stays at the top of the list of threads for that particular forum, the reason being is that it has been deemed to be exceptionally useful so that all members should be able to find it easily.

The Archangel

OP
R

Rufus1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you for your reply. I followed your advice, and went on the photos app. Sure enough, there was the ad I want to remove. I was able to locate a red delete button. This is the only photo I have (yet). I tried to select it, but nothing happened. When I tap on the delete button, nothing happens. Am I doing something incorrectly?

OP
R

Rufus1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Also, I never placed the image in photos. Does this mean there is a virus?

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Did it look like this when you deleted......

The Archangel

Attachments

• image-976348392.png
    image-976348392.png
    118.4 KB · Views: 542

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Rufus1 said:
Also, I never placed the image in photos. Does this mean there is a virus?

It should not be possible......but someone with more knowledge than me on this subject may chime in here.

The Archangel

OP
R

Rufus1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No. I am on a page that says Select Photos at the top, in the middle. First there was a choice of Photos or Albums. Chose Photos. Then, in upper right hand corner is a box with an arrow coming out of it. I hit that, and a red button appeared to the left of the words Select Photo. When I hit that nothing happens. I cannot get onto any other page on this photo app.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Rufus1 said:
No. I am on a page that says Select Photos at the top, in the middle. First there was a choice of Photos or Albums. Chose Photos. Then, in upper right hand corner is a box with an arrow coming out of it. I hit that, and a red button appeared to the left of the words Select Photo. When I hit that nothing happens. I cannot get onto any other page on this photo app.

When you get the choice of photos or albums go to photos as you did then open the particular photo, you should then have the trashcan as shown in my screenshot.

The Archangel

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Rufus1 said:
I have tapped on the photo to open it, and nothing happens.

Can you take a screenshot of the last screen that you can get to and post it on here (to take a screenshot hit the on/off and home buttons together briefly). The resulting image will be in your photos folder.

The Archangel

OP
R

Rufus1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I did take the picture of it, selected that picture, hit "copy", went back to the reply box in this thread, placed the cursor in the box, but could not paste the image there. What am I doing wrong?

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Rufus1 said:
I did take the picture of it, selected that picture, hit "copy", went back to the reply box in this thread, placed the cursor in the box, but could not paste the image there. What am I doing wrong?

Ok, things work a bit differently to that in the iOS world.....are you using the forum App or Safari App to access the forum?

The Archangel

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Rufus1 said:
Safari . Not an app, just regular, old Internet.

Ok, if you are on your computer you do this (I think), in the reply box you will see some icons running along the top, there is one to the right that looks like a picture (to the left of a film strip icon) click this and navigate to your picture.

You can only do this on Safari on your PC/Mac, it won't work on Safari on your iPad. On the iPad I use the free IPF App and use the advanced options to upload a picture to the forums.

The Archangel

Most reactions

Latest posts