What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pop-up: How To Remove It

kfhaggerty

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Pop-up: How Do I Remove It?

Somewhat recently, I have had this pop-up banner appear at the bottom of a number of websites. I asked the publisher ofone of the sites on which it appears, and he said it was not his doing. I don't know what to call it, but I'm assuming it's some sort of malware? It's rather a nuisance, And I want to know how to eliminate it. I have tried turning on, and off, the pop-up blocker and ad-tracker in settings, to no avail. Does anybody else see this ad banner? What's it called, and how is it generated? How can I stop it from appearing? It actually makes a website act strangely, and I have to wait for it to pop-up, then close it manually every time I turn a page. The attached photo shows the location. Thanks for reading.

Update: It's apparantly driven by Media.net, if that means anything to anyone.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 838
Last edited:

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
These will normally be advertising banners run by the site that you are on.

Many sites are free but there's a lot of expenses incurred running them, therefore advertising is utilised to offset the cost of running the site.

Get in touch with the Administrators of the site you are viewing and tell them what you are experiencing.....they can normally tweak them so they are not a nuisance.

Having said that some sites want you to click on them so that they can earn revenue and there's nothing that can be done other than not visiting that site again.

OP
K

kfhaggerty

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I did in fact contact the administrator of the site shown in the attached photo. He assured me that it is not his doing (I sent him the same screenshot). That's why I am inquiring here. He suggested it may be "Google Adsense", but I don't know what that is, or what it may have to do with an iOS device. The banner sometimes has a tag on it: Media.net. I surely would like to find a way to block this banner, and its like. Thanks for writing.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I did in fact contact the administrator of the site shown in the attached photo. He assured me that it is not his doing (I sent him the same screenshot). That's why I am inquiring here. He suggested it may be "Google Adsense", but I don't know what that is, or what it may have to do with an iOS device. The banner sometimes has a tag on it: Media.net. I surely would like to find a way to block this banner, and its like. Thanks for writing.

Hi and welcome to the forum! :) Just visited the Infinite Sweeps website - looks like a login is needed? In viewing your attachment, there is someone apparently logged into the site (screen capture attached) w/ a name matching your user name here - are you sure that you're not a member? Try logging out of the site - if not effective, just provide information on your iOS version & the web browser you are using, such as Safari. Dave

Screen Shot 2014-04-21 at 6.20.28 PM.png

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

Well it certainly does look like they could be Google Adsense ads but it's the owner of the site who signs up for these ads to be seen on their sites.

They are revenue based ads from which the site does earn money whenever someone visiting that site clicks on one of these ads.

The site may not have control over what ads are seen (they will however be on the same topic) but the owner of the site does select how they are viewed.

Only the site owner can have these ads removed but that's not likely to happen as they are a revenue raiser for them. As far as what the Administrator for this site has told you, well I don't think he's been completely honest here. He may not have control of what ads are shown but he certainly controls that ads are seen on his site at all. If he's mentioned Google Adsense, then it would appear he's signed up for these ads. Having said that, he's just trying to earn a living from his site.

Do a search on Google Adsense to learn what it's all about.

You could try another browser.....below are a few which do block ads or have the ability to block ads.....whether or not they will block the ads shown in your pic, well I don't know, I haven't tried them with your site....but it's worth a try. I hope they help you and I'd be interested to know also if they do, so please post back with the results.

https://itunes.apple.com/au/app/adblock-web-browser-speed/id366147874?mt=8

https://itunes.apple.com/au/app/adblock-for-ios-must-have/id537774578?mt=8

https://itunes.apple.com/au/app/dolphin-browser-for-ipad/id460812023?mt=8

OP
K

kfhaggerty

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How interesting. I opened one of the afflicted webpages in Chrome browser, and the f'ing banner was gone. I tried it in Puffin (another browser app I happened to have), and it was gone there as well. So; you've apparantly narrowed it down to a Safari specific issue. Hmmmm. Since it's my iPad's default browser, set up with all my auto-fill, shortcuts, passwords and favorites, I'm reluctant to simply switch over to Chrome (which is fine on a desktop, but not my favorite for tablet). I've tried changing Safari ad-tracking, but that did nothing. Any other thoughts about why it's Safari only, and how to eradicate it? So far your observation has been the most helpful. By the way: I have already tried 2 of the three browsers you suggested. Dolphin is so-so. The "AdBlocker App" surely removes something like 95% of ads! and is relatively fast. It takes out so much content that some frequented websites are unrecognizable. But it lacks some features that I use everyday, which precludes it from becoming my primary browser. Thanks a lot. KH.

OP
K

kfhaggerty

iPF Noob
Reaction score
To "giradman": Login is not required for InfiniteSweeps. And, it's not only the website mentioned; other sites, but not all, are affected. I'm on iPad Mini, first gen, updated iOS 7.1, using Safari. Note that someone in this forum just discovered that the issue is Safari specific, so now we're trying to find out why my iPad's dedicated browser is corrupted, and how to make it stop. Resetting it's ad-tracking and advertising identifier had no effect. Thanks.

Last edited:

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If you're looking to expand outside of browsers, WeBlock for iOS is a nice investment as it also affects some apps that utilize browser-based ads, and it affects all browsers rather than individual browsers (though the apps that @Leelai included work equally as efficiently as well but in a more individualized sense). You can block specific servers that are known to be nuisance like iAds or Google Ads. The developers did hint that they may be able to block Apple's video ads as well, which are speculated to be hitting the Cloud soon.

OP
K

kfhaggerty

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I tried WeBlock in a number of configurations. No dice, so far. I may try again. But without knowing for certain the origin of the annoyance, I can't properly set up the filters to target it specifically. Thanks for the advice though.

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
How interesting. I opened one of the afflicted webpages in Chrome browser, and the f'ing banner was gone. I tried it in Puffin (another browser app I happened to have), and it was gone there as well. So; you've apparantly narrowed it down to a Safari specific issue. Hmmmm. Since it's my iPad's default browser, set up with all my auto-fill, shortcuts, passwords and favorites, I'm reluctant to simply switch over to Chrome (which is fine on a desktop, but not my favorite for tablet). I've tried changing Safari ad-tracking, but that did nothing. Any other thoughts about why it's Safari only, and how to eradicate it? So far your observation has been the most helpful. By the way: I have already tried 2 of the three browsers you suggested. Dolphin is so-so. The "AdBlocker App" surely removes something like 95% of ads! and is relatively fast. It takes out so much content that some frequented websites are unrecognizable. But it lacks some features that I use everyday, which precludes it from becoming my primary browser. Thanks a lot. KH.

You're welcome!

Your Safari app isn't corrupted it's just how it is.....advertisers have found ways around blockers in how they create their ads. There are no 3rd party plugins for Safari to block all ads like there are for other browsers.
I don't know why but suspect it's a monetary reason behind it. ;)

The only other alternative is to turn off JavaScript in Safari - under Advanced - but this will make other features of your site unusable.....so not a good fix at all. I've read that if you jailbreak your iPad there are tweaks to be found to block these ads but that's a whole other story and above my knowledge.

The app Willerz2 has posted looks very promising though!

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I tried WeBlock in a number of configurations. No dice, so far. I may try again. But without knowing for certain the origin of the annoyance, I can't properly set up the filters to target it specifically. Thanks for the advice though.

Make sure you also copy the link provided after setting up the filters and pasting it into your network's proxy manually or the filters won't be applied.

OP
K

kfhaggerty

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks. I did reset the network proxy according to the instructions. Leelia suggested my "problem" may just be the way Safari works, and turning off JavaScriptmight help. I'm starting to realize it's probably something I just have to live with.

OP
K

kfhaggerty

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If that's the way it is, you get bet there are monetary reason behind it. I will try turning off JavaScript. It's easy enough to do, and easily reversible. I'll just have to see if I lose too many features to make it worth while. Otherwise, I guess it's just another petty annoyance I have to learn to live with.

OP
K

kfhaggerty

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Turning off JavaScript was a bust. It basically disables Safari. Oh well. I'll just give up. My only other recourse would probably be to contact the Safari developers, but it's just not worth it in the long run. I'm curious as to why it's showing up on my iPad, and no one else's though. Anyway; thanks to all who responded.

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Turning off JavaScript was a bust. It basically disables Safari. Oh well. I'll just give up. My only other recourse would probably be to contact the Safari developers, but it's just not worth it in the long run. I'm curious as to why it's showing up on my iPad, and no one else's though. Anyway; thanks to all who responded.

I didn't think turning off JavaScript was going to be workable.

Maybe being logged into your account on the site makes a difference with seeing the ads or even being registered.....I don't know.

Your best bets are to use an adblocker if you want to continue using Safari, or use a different browser just for those sites that are a problem.p

Most reactions