What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

HDMI/VGA Display-Apps On First Gen iPad (No Jailbreak).

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iVan said:
Many of the items mentioned by the OP can be displayed through HDMI with AirPlay and AppleTV. Netflix, MLB, YouTube, pictures, video, films and Internet TV, just to name a few...

Yep. But this is purely about just the iPad and the adapters. As simple as it gets. Mostly for newbies and people looking to try some video out/mirroring with those adapters. AirPlay and AppleTV still requires a little networking configuration or setting up that goes beyond ordinary cable-out, which may either be of no interest or overwhelming to folks who just want to cable-out their apps.

Michael "Spam, spam, bacon, eggs and spam. Hold the bacon and eggs." Sent from my iPad using iPF
I agree but to me being wireless beats wires every time. Will you be getting the Hdmi out for your iPad 2? Will you still have the iPad 1 then? I think you guessed my next question...;)

OP
Mtnmedic

Mtnmedic

iPF Novice
Reaction score
iVan said:
I agree but to me being wireless beats wires every time. Will you be getting the Hdmi out for your iPad 2? Will you still have the iPad 1 then? I think you guessed my next question...;)

I totally agree with you that wireless beats wired every time and I take advantage of it.

Actually, YES, in answer to both of your questions.

Not every building or house I go to with my iPad has Wfi-Fi. Especially in places where I tend to give presentations. I live in a rural community in the mountains. We're not all wireless like folks in the city.

Besides, this thread is about First Generation iPad using the adapters, not iPad 2. Or jaiilbreaking to achieve the desired results. My original post and the thread headline state that.

Michael "Spam, spam, bacon, eggs and spam. Hold the bacon and eggs." Sent from my iPad using iPF

Last edited:

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iVan said:

I totally agree with you that wireless beats wired every time and I take advantage of it.

Actually, YES, in answer to both of your questions.

Not every building or house I go to with my iPad has Wfi-Fi. Especially in places where I tend to give presentations. I live in a rural community in the mountains. We're not all wireless like folks in the city.

Besides, this thread is about First Generation iPad using the adapters, not iPad 2. Or jaiilbreaking to achieve the desired results. My original post and the thread headline state that.

Good, then you can answer my third question. Will you be trying the Hdmi dongle with iPad 1?

I for one am against jail breaking and would never resort to it. I'd rather rack my brain to find a legit solution or go without satisfaction.

Anyway I'm quite sure that iPad 1 will not handle the Hdmi dongle because it may require stronger graphic capabilities it doesn't have but I'm okay with that... Until MacTablet!

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok, ok..lol. No need to change title. We will eventually see all these same people coming into hacking section at one point or another in the lifetime of ownership of their iPad. Sheesh, people have some wrong stigma associated with jail braking. I hear/read of more problems/issues with non jail broken devices thn jail broken ones. Point taken though. We know us jail breakers are the outcasts of the community..don't hate..lol just kidding. I'll check my apps to see which ones allow display out as I have about 200 apps. I get what you saying. Less confusion for the noobs ;-)

OP
Mtnmedic

Mtnmedic

iPF Novice
Reaction score
iVan said:
Good, then you can answer my third question. Will you be trying the Hdmi dongle with iPad 1?

I for one am against jail breaking and would never resort to it. I'd rather rack my brain to find a legit solution or go without satisfaction.

Anyway I'm quite sure that iPad 1 will not handle the Hdmi dongle because it may require stronger graphic capabilities it doesn't have but I'm okay with that... Until MacTablet!

Uh, that's what I've been doing...using the HDMI dongle with the iPad 1. My iPad 2 isn't even here and won't be here until the first week of April. I'm doing this little thread "project" as a service to owners of the iPad 1 who might want to explore cable-out options, like using the VGA adapter and the HDMI adapter.

I'm happy to say the HDMI adapter works nicely with the iPad 1. Of course, much in the same was as the VGA adapter works: only specific apps which have been coded to output their video stream or mirror out to an external display.

OP
Mtnmedic

Mtnmedic

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Demandarin said:
Ok, ok..lol. No need to change title. We will eventually see all these same people coming into hacking section at one point or another in the lifetime of ownership of their iPad. Sheesh, people have some wrong stigma associated with jail braking. I hear/read of more problems/issues with non jail broken devices thn jail broken ones. Point taken though. We know us jail breakers are the outcasts of the community..don't hate..lol just kidding. I'll check my apps to see which ones allow display out as I have about 200 apps. I get what you saying. Less confusion for the noobs ;-)

I changed the title to keep it short, that's all. I added "no jailbreak" because I don't want iPad 1 users who aren't into jailbreaking to get turned off when they see a lot of jailbreak discussion in the thread. Some people...they just like their iPad...au naturel.

There's nothing wrong at all with jailbreaking and there's nothing wrong with people who jailbreak. The stigma is wrongly applied. Jailbreakers aren't-and shouldn't be-"outcasts" in the iOS device community. I hack my PC stuff all the time and so do a lot of other folks. So why should it be any different with jailbreakers? More power to you guys and thanks for discovering new ways to enjoy the iPad more than Steve would like to admit!

Yeah, this is just my little "public service" to newbies and to curious people with an iPad 1 who just haven't the stomach or the inclination for jailbreaking.

Last edited:

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iVan said:

Uh, that's what I've been doing...using the HDMI dongle with the iPad 1. My iPad 2 isn't even here and won't be here until the first week of April. I'm doing this little thread "project" as a service to owners of the iPad 1 who might want to explore cable-out options, like using the VGA adapter and the HDMI adapter.

I'm happy to say the HDMI adapter works nicely with the iPad 1. Of course, much in the same was as the VGA adapter works: only specific apps which have been coded to output their video stream or mirror out to an external display.

:confused:....:rofl: see that's what happens when I'm not paying attention!:p
I was under the impression you were comparing VGA on iPad 1 to Hdmi on ipad2!!!:D
Egg in my face!:eek: :rofl:
Thanks for sharing that test, Michael!

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Actually, this thread will be very useful as I don't plan to get an ipad2 anytime soon, if I can hold out that long. This thread will let us ipad1 owners know which apps will work with the new hdmi adapter on ipad1 devices that mirror out. This will be helpful for nooks, veteran members, and jail breakers. Good thread topic, from one Michael to another ;-)

OP
Mtnmedic

Mtnmedic

iPF Novice
Reaction score
iVan said:
:confused:....:rofl: see that's what happens when I'm not paying attention!:p
I was under the impression you were comparing VGA on iPad 1 to Hdmi on ipad2!!!:D
Egg in my face!:eek: :rofl:
Thanks for sharing that test, Michael!

Just don't try frying that egg. Even if you're hungry. Just a suggestion. :)

OP
Mtnmedic

Mtnmedic

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Demandarin said:
Actually, this thread will be very useful as I don't plan to get an ipad2 anytime soon, if I can hold out that long. This thread will let us ipad1 owners know which apps will work with the new hdmi adapter on ipad1 devices that mirror out. This will be helpful for nooks, veteran members, and jail breakers. Good thread topic, from one Michael to another ;-)

You're welcome.

It's a great name, huh? Even the most powerful Archangel likes it.

chowdown

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I attach my iPad to a projector via the Apple vga connector I bought last December. I use the brilliant, highly under-rated and free neu.Notes in my classroom to teach mathematics. Worryingly, I've recently heard that neu.Notes may not mirror quite so well under iOS 4.3. I'm waiting to hear back from the developer... Until he tells me it's ok, I'm sticking with iOS4.2, the app is just too useful for me to lose its mirroring capabilites.

Note Taker HD has a very interesting and useful way (useful to maths teachers!) of mirroring, and neu.Annotate mirrors just like its sister app.

GoodReader also mirrors beautifully.

All the above is occurring on an iPad 1 using iOS 4.2 and the Apple vga adapter.

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Great job, on this thread Michael! I know you have been working hard.:) Even though I have absolutely no clue what any of you are talking about ~

Seems to be a good thing!

Reaction score
Could someone confirm that Penultimate works with the HDMI cable?

When I connect it to my PC monitor, it shows the notebook for a second and then turns the whole notebook black.

But I agree with your previous post about Laser Light, Michael. It is really cool.

OP
Mtnmedic

Mtnmedic

iPF Novice
Reaction score
DontUnderstandMyIpad said:
Could someone confirm that Penultimate works with the HDMI cable?

When I connect it to my PC monitor, it shows the notebook for a second and then turns the whole notebook black.

But I agree with your previous post about Laser Light, Michael. It is really cool.

Penultimate DOES work with HDMI. But I can't re-test it right now because we're under 3+ feet of snow, the power and the water have been out since last night and we'll probably be out for the next couple of days.

Most reactions