What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

HDMI/VGA Display-Apps On First Gen iPad (No Jailbreak).

Mtnmedic

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Here is a working list of applications that are KNOWN to work with the Original, First Generation iPad using the VGA and HDMI adapters. I will be updating this list in this first post as often as possible so that folks won't have to go through the entire thread to find the good stuff.

If you know of for sure or discover any apps that video/mirror out using the VGA adapter and-especially- via the new HDMI adapter from the original, First Generation iPad (NOT iPad 2) list 'em here! I'll try to update this list as frequently as possible so thread visitors can find all the goodies in one spot.

PLEASE- NO JAILBREAK STUFF. Not everyone is into jailbreaking. And please, no iPad 2 stuff. Everyone knows that the iPad 2 natively mirrors just about everything using the HDMI adapter. Thanks!

UPDATED 4/15/12. 9pm PST

Keynote - VGA and HDMI: mirror

Whiteboard VGA Out - VGA: display out

Study Aid -VGA: mirror

map projector - VGA: display out

Popplet - VGA: mirror

File Display - VGA: display out

cardiovascular System - VGA: display out

Netflix - HDMI: video out

MLB At-Bat -HDMI: video out

MacWorld app -VGA: mirror

Star Walk -VGA and HDMI: no mirror but entire app displayed on external display.

You Tube - VGA and HDMI: video out

Perfect Browser -VGA and HDMI: mirror Yes, a browser that DOES mirror!

Sketchbook Pro -VGA and HDMI: mirror

pics-slide show only VGA and HDMI

Penultimate -VGA and HDMI: mirror

NASA TV -VGA and HDMI: NASA TV video output only, the rest of the app doesn't display on external.

Laser Lights -HDMI mirror (haven't tried it with VGA yet) - totally cool!

Sky Safari -VGA and HDMI: mirror

Star map HD -VGA and HDMI: mirror

Atomic Browser -VGA only: mirror

TWiT Netcast Network - HDMI video out (the splash screen on the app mirrors though) - haven't tried VGA

Live Cams HD. -HDMI: video out (the splash screen on the app mirrors though) - haven't tried VGA

Moodboard -HDMI: app says external display is discovered and asks you to choose from 4 resolutions but doesn't display any of your moodboards. Does display a light blue screen with the word "External" only. Not sure what's up, there. Haven't tried it with VGA yet.

Note Taker HD -VGA: mirror

neu.Notes -VGA: mirror

neu.annotate -VGA: mirror

GoodReader -VGA: mirror (possibly HDMI)

AV Player - reads all kinds of movie files, even .avi with subtitles, rmvb and mkv. - HDMI

pdf Notes - write on your pdf file and it will be mirrored on the screen. -HDMI

MathBoard-Addition - Displays Math sums and your answer on the screen.- HDMI

dtdnumwizlite - Displays joining of dots (to make a picture) and says the number out loud. -HDMI

Movie Trailers - Shows movie trailers on your HD TV.- HDMI

ABC iView - (only in Australia?) Watch ABC news and other ABC shows on your HD TV.-HDMI

2Screens - VGA output PPT, PDFs and webpages

Michael "Spam, spam, bacon, eggs and spam. Hold the bacon and eggs." Sent from my iPad using iPF

Last edited:

emm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey Michael, That's wonderful news that iPad 1 will mirror on some apps with VGA. Would you check if any iBooks will mirror, or separate magazine apps such as Macworld or Esquire.

thanks

gatecitycanes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
MLB At-Bat and Netflix both do video out with HDMI. I don't have a VGA adapter so I don't know about that.

OP
Mtnmedic

Mtnmedic

iPF Novice
Reaction score
emm said:
Hey Michael, That's wonderful news that iPad 1 will mirror on some apps with VGA. Would you check if any iBooks will mirror, or separate magazine apps such as Macworld or Esquire.

thanks

I know the Macworld app does.

Michael "Spam, spam, bacon, eggs and spam. Hold the bacon and eggs." Sent from my iPad using iPF

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If u jailbreak and get displayout app from Cydia, "All" apps will mirror no matter which connection you use ;-) love it

OP
Mtnmedic

Mtnmedic

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Demandarin said:
If u jailbreak and get displayout app from Cydia, "All" apps will mirror no matter which connection you use ;-) love it

Yeah, I know. But jailbreaking isn't something I'm into and I wanted to make a list of apps for folks who feel the same way about jail breaking. I personally won't have a worry or care in the world about mirroring out via HDMI once my iPad 2 gets here in a couple of weeks. But I thought it'd be nice to have a list of apps for those who stick with iPad 1 and a VGA/HDMI adapter.

Markdf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Does the native Video player mirror over HDMI for the ipad 1?

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score

have you used the new HDMI connector?? please say yes? :)

Actually, I haven't but assumed it will work the same with display out. I'm sure a lot of jail broken iPad owners would love to know. All I have is the composite cables as i still have an older projection 50-60 somEthing In. Big screen :-( lol no hdmi plugs on it. Plan to get new l.e.d or plasma screen soon though.

OP
Mtnmedic

Mtnmedic

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks for the input. I appreciate it. However...

I'd like for this to be a "for sure" thread. Little to no guesses, if possible. That's why I suggested in my original post that if you KNOW of apps that will video out or mirror using the First Gen iPad and VGA or HDMI adapter, to mention them here.

And preferably without jail breaking. Because it's generally understood you can do a LOT more with a jail broken device or with an iPad 2, and the vast majority of folks have neither, I was hoping this thread will become a resource for the rest of us who have "ordinary" First Gen iPads using the adapters. I'd hate to have folks who are new to iPads, particularly First Gen, to read this thread, excited about what they could do with their iPad, only to discover a lot of jail breaking discussion, which may turn them off from checking back in to see if more apps made the list. Not everyone is into jail breaking, even if there are benefits to be had, because people aren't so inclined, they don't want to take the time or they want a zero-trouble, zero-risk experience with their iPad.

Maybe a separate thread for Jailbroken iPads would suffice?

I will talk to the mods about changing the thread title to say "not jail broken". I also want to see if I can maintain an ongoing list with update dates in the first post, that way folks won't be forced to read through the whole thread to find the goodies, and keep the rest of the thread open for input and discussion.

OP
Mtnmedic

Mtnmedic

iPF Novice
Reaction score
emm said:

thanks

Let me check into that and get back to you.

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Many of the items mentioned by the OP can be displayed through HDMI with AirPlay and AppleTV. Netflix, MLB, YouTube, pictures, video, films and Internet TV, just to name a few...

OP
Mtnmedic

Mtnmedic

iPF Novice
Reaction score
iVan said:
Many of the items mentioned by the OP can be displayed through HDMI with AirPlay and AppleTV. Netflix, MLB, YouTube, pictures, video, films and Internet TV, just to name a few...

Yep. But this is purely about just the iPad and the adapters. As simple as it gets. Mostly for newbies and people looking to try some video out/mirroring with those adapters. AirPlay and AppleTV still requires a little networking configuration or setting up that goes beyond ordinary cable-out, which may either be of no interest or overwhelming to folks who just want to cable-out their apps.

Most reactions

Latest posts