What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Have reset iPad 1. Is it now trashed?

chowdown

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I got the latest iPad. My friend asked me for my old iPad 1 (great machine). I decided to reset it so all of my info would be gone.

But now I'm wondering how he's going to use it. You can't get IOS 4.3 or even iOS 5 anymore, can you?

Have I bricked a perfectly good machine? What will happen if he tries to connect the iPad 1 to iTunes?

miket5au

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I got the latest iPad. My friend asked me for my old iPad 1 (great machine). I decided to reset it so all of my info would be gone.

But now I'm wondering how he's going to use it. You can't get IOS 4.3 or even iOS 5 anymore, can you?

Have I bricked a perfectly good machine? What will happen if he tries to connect the iPad 1 to iTunes?

Reseting just restores it to factory settings. It will be fine. I am sure you can get iOS 5.1 for it still.

When I replaced my iPad 2 (with a new iPad 2 as it had a failed battery) I reset my old one to factory settings before giving it to Apple. It just reset back to the original iOS setup.

Amyway can't you try it to see it is not bricked?

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You can't brick an iPad by resetting it. Unless there is a hardware fault you will always be able to restore the latest version of IOS for the device.

For the iPad1, that is currently IOS 5.1.1.

Simply connect your iPad to a PC with iTunes, select the device, and press the "restore" button.

If for some reason that doesn't work, you can follow our failsafe guide here - http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-hack...lsafe-method-restore-current-version-ios.html

As I say, provided there is not a hardware fault, you should be back up and running with a clean fresh device soon.

Good luck!

Most reactions

Latest posts