What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Getting apps onto a factory reset iPad 1

MikeOnABike

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi there,

My old iPad 1 was sitting around so I decided to wipe it and give it to my mum to use. I carried out a factory reset earlier today and the first hurdle was setting up an iTunes account for her. I kept getting error messages so I had to set this up on my laptop and then sign in.

Her Gmail account won't even work with the native email app for iPad - it keeps saying the username or password are incorrect (they aren't) and, as I had feared, no apps in App Store are compatible so I can't even download Gmail or Chrome.

My question is: what are my options in terms of making this iPad somewhat useable for her?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Since this is a brand new iTunes account you set up for your mother, she won't have any previously purchased apps to download. Some apps allow you to download the latest compatible version for an older device like the iPad 1, but only if you've previously purchased them.
One thing you could try is to set up Family Sharing with you and your mother. This would give her access to your previously purchased apps. Then she may be able to download the latest compatible versions for the iPad 1 if the app developers have allowed it.

I also found this site which lists apps compatible with iOS 5.1.1. The site has links that take you to the App Store to download the apps. You may find something for your mother here. http://findoldapps.com

rasmith1959

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Since this is a brand new iTunes account you set up for your mother, she won't have any previously purchased apps to download. Some apps allow you to download the latest compatible version for an older device like the iPad 1, but only if you've previously purchased them.
One thing you could try is to set up Family Sharing with you and your mother. This would give her access to your previously purchased apps. Then she may be able to download the latest compatible versions for the iPad 1 if the app developers have allowed it.

I also found this site which lists apps compatible with iOS 5.1.1. The site has links that take you to the App Store to download the apps. You may find something for your mother here. http://findoldapps.com

Family sharing won't work on the older iPad 1 as it needs iOS 8 to work. Thought I could use it on my iPod Touch which has iOS 6.1.6, but it wouldn't work.

Roy

Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Family sharing won't work on the older iPad 1 as it needs iOS 8 to work. Thought I could use it on my iPod Touch which has iOS 6.1.6, but it wouldn't work.

Roy

Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk
There's a lot of good apps she won't be able to get then, such as find my iPhone, iBooks, Podcasts, etc.

Most reactions

Latest posts