What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Grove Bamboo iPad 2 case update: hurry up and wait!

Futurebird

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Like many here I placed a $20 pre-order for the beautiful much anticipated Grove iPad 2 case:

031211_rg_Grove_Bamboo_Ipad2_01.jpg
ba05a63accad2_02_jpg.jpg

031211_rg_Grove_Bamboo_Ipad2_03.jpg

Lovely Isn't It?

I placed me pre-order the day before iPad 2 came out. I was THAT excited about this case. I wanted to pre-order right away so I'd have a good spot in line when they started selling it.

Well, today I got this email:

Hi fans,

First of all, thank you so much for pre-ordering your Grove iPad 2 case. We will periodically update you via email as circumstances may change. If you are uncomfortable with a long wait or at all frustrated by the process, we recommend getting a refund for your pre-order. We want you to be happy first and foremost.

At Grove we have the highest standards of quality and we chose to significantly improve the functionality of our product at the cost of delaying the release. Combining leather and bamboo, our iPad case has both the functionality of a detachable smart cover with the protection of a full case while maintaining a thin profile and signature Grove Quality in design and construction. We debated making the change because it would cause significant delays but we chose to emphasize the added functionality over a timely release.

Our online store will be operational in 1-2 weeks at which point you will be able to place your specific order. You will receive an email with specific instructions and an individual discount code which refunds your $20 deposit and gets you the special introductory price. Production will start May 2. First orders will START shipping out May 9. Actual lead time for individual customers will depend on when you place your actual order. We cannot tell you when your order will ship
until our online store is up and we start taking actual orders. Orders will ship out in the order that they are received with priority going to pre-order people.

In general, it will take a while because these cases are all
handcrafted by our small crew and lead times may change. Again, if you are uncomfortable with a long and variable wait, please request a refund for your pre-order. I certainly understand that many people cannot wait. Please check this page: www.grovemade.com/pages/ipad2preorder for the latest updates before you email us with questions.

I apologize for the delays due to the redesign. We design and
make everything ourselves leading to the highest level of quality and accountability. We believe this is our best product yet and will be well worth the wait! We appreciate the support of our loyal fans.

Thanks!
Ken

4/6/2011

Notice the part in bold. To me, that means that someone who places a pre-order TODAY at Grove's website will be able to get their order processed before me, even though I ordered almost month ago. I might get ahead of people who order after they open the store, but, unless I watch my email like a hawk... I could easily end up behind hundreds or thousands of people who did not pre-order as early I did.

So, to me this defeats the whole purpose of the pre-order... I thought they'd do something like give those of us who pre-ordered 24 hours to pay the full price then fill the pre-orders as they came in...

Well, I wrote them an email:

Thank you for the update. I was getting a little worried. Despite the good news that the cases will come soon I am disappointed that, in order to get this case as soon as possible I must nervously watch my email and then scramble to be the the first to get my order in when you open the online store. I placed my pre-order back on March 10, almost a month ago. But, based on this email, it seems that if someone who placed a pre-order yesterday gets to the online store before I do they will get their case before I do!

That feels unfair to me.

I understand that making good things takes time and waiting for craftsmanship is not something that I mind. But, having others essentially "cut" in front of me in line is harder to take! Please consider filling the orders in the order that our pre-orders were placed for everyone who sends payment on the first day. If I have 24 hours to find out about it and pay that is something I can do...

Watching my email all day every day for the next two weeks for the store to open is a bit much... even for a fan of your products like myself.

I'm hoping for a response, though I know you are busy.

You know it's not the biggest deal in the world, and even if they do it in this unfair way... I guess I'll just watch my mail and just order as quickly as possible. I really do want this case. I'll still enjoy it even if it take two or three months to get to me. ( I guess I'd better get a cheap case for the interim! )

Do you think this is a little unfair?

:confused:

Reaction score
To me it sounds, as if they start taking orders in 1-2 weeks, but prioritize the people who have already pre-ordered.
See, when it says, in 1-2 weeks, you will be able to place your specific order, I don't think that is a pre-order anymore, but an actual order. Especially, since the email starts of thanking you for pre-ordering.

Last edited:
OP
Futurebird

Futurebird

iPF Noob
Reaction score
To me it sounds, as if they start taking orders in 1-2 weeks, but prioritize the people who have already pre-ordered.
See, when it says, in 1-2 weeks, you will be able to place your specific order, I don't think that is a pre-order anymore, but an actual order. Especially, since the email starts of thanking you for pre-ordering.

Yes, that's my understanding too. What I'm (slightly) annoyed about is the fact that the hundreds possibly thousands of people who pre-ordered after me (everyone who pre-ordered from March 11- today) can easily have their orders filled before me if they get to the online store before I do the day it opens.

I'm thinking this means they re-set the clock on all orders... but, you know, maybe I'm reading it incorrectly!

Everyone I know at work and everywhere else has a pre-order on this thing... it's kinda huge-- I'm worried about how such a small company will manage.

I hope they are hiring a lot of wood-smiths!

blessed

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Try Treegloo.com and see if you like what they have to order.
Good luck!

HKWrite12

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for posting this I had web watching their site and fb quite frequently but I had been off my game this week. I totally agree with you about this case. I actually preordered on the first day they posted it, the ninth? I have been questioning the point of it as well. I do think with such a small company, they will be just taking orders as they get them.

The pre order seems to be more of a marketing tactic. Its more of a check out the demand. It's a hood strategy however. (One that apple should adopt btw)

If 1372 ppl have place orders, they know that they need to make at least 1500 cases to meet demand. That way we aren't put on backordered until the pandas get full and stop eating the potential cases.

I love the design but I am questioning it's durability vs my activity. It's too beautiful to have locked up in a case so it doesn't scratch but I Aldo know that I move around a lot and it has no shock resistance.

The removable cover is hot though. I wish they would sell that by it's self. It kinda gives you a 3n1 case.
The whole case
The smart panda cover
And the panda entree back.

Hella tight.

Btw. Gotta macally bookstand 2 for interim.

OP
Futurebird

Futurebird

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Good news. I got an email from them today... They are NOT going to do it unfairly... If I order in a timely fashion I should get my case shipped before all the people who signed up after me!

So, I'm quite happy with how this worked out and the customer service thus far.

Tarkio

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I love the design but I am questioning it's durability vs my activity. It's too beautiful to have locked up in a case so it doesn't scratch but I Aldo know that I move around a lot and it has no shock resistance.

I feel the same way. I had my ipad1 locked up in a beautiful leather case for 6 months and forgot how beautiful the iPad hidden inside was. I realized it was like buying a beautiful new sports car, then covering it in a leather bag until I sell it to keep it from getting scratched.

I'll protect my iPad2 with a thin clear shell on the back and a smart case on top. I want to see this baby every day!

HKWrite12

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tarkio said:
I feel the same way. I had my ipad1 locked up in a beautiful leather case for 6 months and forgot how beautiful the iPad hidden inside was. I realized it was like buying a beautiful new sports car, then covering it in a leather bag until I sell it to keep it from getting scratched.

I'll protect my iPad2 with a thin clear shell on the back and a smart case on top. I want to see this baby every day!

Sometimes, you gotta cover it when you're going off for a while. You don't want anyone to harm your prize.

OP
Futurebird

Futurebird

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had a cover on the iPad 1... And I've been using my iPad 2 without one... It was nice for a bit, but it's very slippery, when I get on an elevator, or walk up stairs, or holding it with one hand while on the subway.. I feel nervous... Like I have to hold it with both hands or it might drop... I even have a warranty for damage due to drops... But I think I'll just feel less tense when it is in a case, what matters to me is how easy it is to use, and a customized grove case... Or one of the cases I've made by hand (I'm in the process of sewing a leather one... I already knit a slip cover) are more fun and fashionable (for me) than just holding the iPad with no cover.

Maybe if I had a rubbery back I'd feel better about this.

I don't really like the style of apples smart cover... I have no idea how apple chooses colors... But I have never liked any of the ones they pick... They are just so... Tropical... Not my thing, I also don't like the material... It seems a little massed produced... The iPad itself is a very mass produced type item so I'd like for my case to bring a little contrast to that... You know?

But, if I could get in to the smart cover I'd be happy with just that. I think it's nicely designed... But for how it looks the price is too high. I know we'll see knockoffs soon enough, and much like the knockoffs of iPads original case I bet I'll like them better than the real thing!

(I'm a huge apple fan, iMac at home, iPod shuffle while running, iPads, iPod touch... And on and on... I just don't like their accessories... Cosmetically speaking.)

I hope that 3rd party smart covers will start coming out soon, I'd like a cover, just like the smart cover, but with a textured surface, some variation... A natural material, and colors like shiny blue grey, fuzzy deep red, bumpy saffron, twisted and loopy goldenrod, and ribbed warm brown.

Ok, lol, I'm getting waaaaay to detailed!

Last edited:

blessed

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Question: you mentioned having a warranty to protect against drops. Where did you find that? I'm thinking that would be a winner for all of us.

Kirwin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Question: you mentioned having a warranty to protect against drops. Where did you find that? I'm thinking that would be a winner for all of us.

Search Amazon.com for: Squaretrade Drop & Spill Warranty for tablets. A warranty may be purchased for either a 2 or 3 year time period, and is based on the value of your tablet or notebook.

Just make sure your warranty includes "drop & spill"... because Square does offer warranties without this protection at a lower cost.

Hope this helps.:)

Most reactions

Latest posts