What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Getting a Kindle even though I have an iPad?

eiljoan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Am new to iPad. Have iMac MacBook and iphone4. We are a mac family!!

NYHorsewoman

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I was never a big book reader until I got my iPad. Now I get free books through Overdrive and use the Kindle app all the time. I do however wish I could read outside a title easier when it's sunny. Hasn't anyone come up with a sort of screen filter that would make this easier?

PhotoJK

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When using your iPad, are you trying the sepia page mode and turning down the brightness to your personal preference?

Bimjo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My wife has the original Kindle. It's a very nice unit, but I don't want one because I find myself frequently looking up stuff on the internet I come across in my reading & the Kindle just won't do that.

Switching between units would be unnecessarily aggravating for me.

NYHorsewoman

iPF Novice
Reaction score
PhotoJK said:
When using your iPad, are you trying the sepia page mode and turning down the brightness to your personal preference?

Yes, I have it down to a science now because i do a fair amount of reading outside, but I thought maybe someone had developed a glare overlay of some kind.

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
NYHorsewoman said:
Yes, I have it down to a science now because i do a fair amount of reading outside, but I thought maybe someone had developed a glare overlay of some kind.

I use an antiglare filter on my iPad, which works very well when I'm outdoors under natural light.

NYHorsewoman

iPF Novice
Reaction score
tzimisce said:
I use an antiglare filter on my iPad, which works very well when I'm outdoors under natural light.

Cool! Where did you get it, what kind?

Lenc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I prefer the kindle for reading. Easier on the eyes.

ArtWench

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I got my Kindle a year and a half before I got my iPad2 and there is no way I would give either up. I also have an oven and a microwave, a couch and a sofa, spoons and forks, bowls and plates... Point is that they are similar in function; however, each one has attributes which I value. My Kindle is super light weight, I can purchase books practically anytime anywhere and not have to pay extra for the connection, and the e-Ink is easy on the eyes. I can even read the Kindle while I have a migraine, which is impossible on the iPad! and you already know how awesome the iPad is...

info

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I really like the Kindle but, personally, I don't think I need both.

Reaction score
I have both. Had kindle first then got iPad. I love both. My iPad is great for reading in the house or car. When I went to the beach today, I took my kindle. I don't have to worry about glare with the kindle. And the iPad is great for reading at nit when hubby is trying to sleep or watch tv. :)

Sent from my iPad using iPF

PoetDoc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm with NYhorsewoman and would like a temporary anti-glare screen to place over my iPad to reduce glare while reading outdoors, which I do nearly every day. I don't want a permanent solution because I like to use my 'i' devices 'naked' and without plastic covering the screen - but there is a glare problem in reading outdoors or under bright lights with the iPad. My wife has a nook and while I like the e-ink, it's really difficult to use for library books, which I download all the time to my iPad.

NYHorsewoman

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yeah, it seems to me that a detachable sun shade would be ideal. Anyone want to fund a startup? :)

Most reactions