What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Getting an iPad for Xmas...or should I wait?

FutureStar

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm considering getting a Kindle or an iPad for Christmas. I have a 1G iPod Touch (which I absolutely love) and I use it mostly to browse websites, watch videos and photos, and use the apps. The iPad has a bigger screen so that would be a plus, but I also want something to use as an eReader and I've heard e-Ink screens are so much better. Should I get an iPad or a Kindle? Also, since there's rumors of a new iPad being released, should I wait? I don't want to spend a lot of $$$ and end up with a product that will be obsolete in a few months.

Thanks in advance! :D

Wakawaka

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you read outside in direct sunlight, kindle. In shade or inside, pad.

You already know what you want..

The_stig1990

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would say get the iPad, its great for reading books, but if you're talking about waiting untill xmas anyway then i would wait and get the 2nd generation, i got mine a few months ago and even i sort of regret it now because the 2nd generation will no doubt be a huge improvement, as with all apple products, but 2nd generation to the 3rd generation proberly wont be a huge difference (Like the ipod touch and iphone)

Wakawaka

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would say get the iPad, its great for reading books, but if you're talking about waiting untill xmas anyway then i would wait and get the 2nd generation, i got mine a few months ago and even i sort of regret it now because the 2nd generation will no doubt be a huge improvement, as with all apple products, but 2nd generation to the 3rd generation proberly wont be a huge difference (Like the ipod touch and iphone)

Sell it! Use most the money to buy new one. If I sold mine 8 months from now for a new one, (paid $724) I'd sell it for $550 or $500. Taking a $224 loss but I got my $224 worth for 8.5 months of use ;-)

dogenia

iPF Noob
Reaction score
same predicament

OK, I was in the same predicament up until two weeks ago when I got the 32 GIG Ipad Wifi/3G.

While in the US I signed up for the AT&T 250 MB plan and I used the Ipad in CT, NY and FL.

Now that i am back in the Caribbean I use it wherever I can get a Wifi connection. All of a sudden I found the Ipad following me around at home as well. My Ipod touch I only use now while jogging with the Nike + sensor. My 13 inch Mac sees less and less use as well.

Would I trade the Ipad for the Kindle? NAHHHHHHHHHH and I just ordered a Vaja case too. And when the updated Ipad rolls around its welcome too :D. My 8 month old loves the Disney Baby Einstein app on this one. (motivation to upgrade :D:D).

pallentx

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If you just want it for reading, I would get a Kindle. If you also want to surf the web, music, video, games, get an iPad.

I wouldnt worry about future versions. There will always be a new one coming next year.

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If you've got an iPod you've got an idea of what the iPad can do.
If there's one constant refrain on these forums it's that desktops and laptops are suffering from neglect.
Buy it now and to hell with delayed gratification. It's the best gadget you can get for the money.

Boroboy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was in the same situation a couple weeks ago, now I couldn't imagine my life without the iPad. I'm no apple fanboy and this is my first ever apple product. You'll love it and won't regret it, I promise you

matt_90036

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Are you wiling to wait until June? Can u live without a camera? Do you really need more RAM for internet surfing?

iceman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Too wait, or not too wait, that is the question :)

The next generation should be out in 4 or 5 months. First generation Android based tablets will be out by then as well.

For myself, I could not wait until the 3G iPad's came out (anybody remember the thread where we waited, and consoled each other? Great fun!). I still remember greeting my Fedex driver at 10:00 am on April 30th. ah memories!

pjhbromley

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just got my ipad. I was also going to wait and started researching tablets. It sounds like a lot of the new tablets coming are going for a 7 inch screen.

Ipad seems the perfect size. If I wanted a smaller screen I'd be happy with my phone (Galaxy S). So, I decided not to wait anymore. There's even rumours (and they're just rumours or guesses) that the next ipad will only be 7 inch.

matt_90036

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yeah that's why I bought mine. I figured, why wait if the current iPad does most of the things I want it to do.

littlebuddha

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have an ipod, i got the wife an ipod there great love it do alsorts with it. IPAD you bet i have one and would not be with out it, have laptop notebook and main computer, but the IPAD is in my hands all the time it ticks to many boxes and so easy to get around with work with. I have also just got another as a xmas prez for the wife. Dont leave it to long as there will be shortage around christmas, and if you wait around for the new one its going to be more money and its not going to be that much of a difference yet, biggest thing is the thing about owning something thats a NOW thing.. Do your self a big favour, by the IPAD, you really will not look back.

Most reactions

Latest posts