What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Frozen ipad with icloud backup screen

ceciliacas

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My Ipad 2 is frozen and shows the icloud backup message. I've tried pressing the wake and sleep buttons at the same time and nothing happens. What can I do? Thanks

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Try pressing them longer. Hold them until the Apple Logo appears. This can take quite a while, though it shouldn't take more than 30 seconds.

OP
C

ceciliacas

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks! It worked. I guess I wasn't pressing them long enough.

Anabel

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a similar problem. My screen is frozen with a notice that I have not backed up to the cloud for 3 weeks. It tells me I have to lock the ipad and plug it in to back up. I have done all those things but cannot get rid of the message. There is an ok sign which will not respond when it tap/hold it. All that happens is the screen blacks out. I'm not sure which are the wake & sleep buttons mentioned above so do not know how to hold them both down. I have tried turning the power off but cannot get the swipe on the screen to respond (as the icloud message seems to take priority) so it won't power down. Can anyone advise what I should do.

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Anabel, the reference is to resetting your ipad, often a very useful cure for a number of problems. This is what you should do:
Simultaneously hold down the On/Off and Home buttons until the screen blacks out. Keep holding both until the white Apple logo appears and then let both go. Then wait until your wallpaper appears. Restart your iPad.
The buttons? Holding your iPad in landscape mode, at the same time press down the start button (square one middle of left side TOP of iPad) and the sleep button (on the bottom right side EDGE). Keep both buttons pressed in and only let go when the white Apple logo appears.
Hope that helps. Let us know how you got on. In this forum difficulties can very often be fixed. The impossible takes a bit longer ;)
Andrew

Sent from OZ using Tapatalk

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Just a note: the iPad Air shows a black apple when resetting.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
In case someone didn't get the above: With iOS 7 Apple has made it so that white iPads reboot with a white screen and black apple logo. Black (or space-gray) iPads boot with a black screen and white apple logo.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
In case someone didn't get the above: With iOS 7 Apple has made it so that white iPads reboot with a white screen and black apple logo. Black (or space-gray) iPads boot with a black screen and white apple logo.
I"guess it's just for the Air and mini retina. My "old" mini without retina (white) reboots with a white apple on black background.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Well, I could be mistaken about when they started doing it. I thought it was iOS 7, but maybe it was earlier. Or is your original Mini black?

Most reactions

Latest posts