What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Device-breaking glitch!

Dombro1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I went on my iPad 2, and swiped right. When I was about to start entering my passcode, the screen went black with the apple logo as if I was turning it on after a shut down, but it did it by itself. Eventually, it loaded my lock screen again, but the whole thing repeated as soon as I swiped to the right, every single time. Can someone please tell me how to fix this?

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Try resetting it: press and hold Home and Power button simultaneously until the Apple logo appears. As soon as it's visible, let go of both. Your device should power up on it's own.

If this doesn't get it out of the loop, restore it using iTunes. Make sure there's a most recent backup, so you don't lose data.

Hope that helps.

OP
Dombro1

Dombro1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Try resetting it: press and hold Home and Power button simultaneously until the Apple logo appears. As soon as it's visible, let go of both. Your device should power up on it's own.

If this doesn't get it out of the loop, restore it using iTunes. Make sure there's a most recent backup, so you don't lose data.

Hope that helps.
The reset didn't work
Also, how do I restore using iTunes? Do I need to have backups, because I turned them off since they took over all my cloud data, and it kept sending me nonstop notifications

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Are the backups automatic? (Yes I do have iTunes on my PC)

Also I don't have a USB Cable...

Just curious, how do you charge your iPad? Assume that you have an iPad 2 from the posted forum - that was my first iPad and I used the cable shown below for charging - the USB portion can also be plugged into your computer and a backup made (and subsequent restoration) using iTunes. Dave :)
23860464.3x6uwrnudb.jpg

Last edited:

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Are the backups automatic? (Yes I do have iTunes on my PC)

Also I don't have a USB Cable...
Backups are automatic when you sync your iPad with iTunes but you can backup manually by clicking the backup button on the summary page when connected to iTunes. The cable you use to charge your iPad is the same cable you use to connect to iTunes on your computer.

OP
Dombro1

Dombro1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Oh, yeah I forgot! But I can't restore because it says I need to enter my passcode on my iPad, but I can't enter my passcode because trying to triggers the auto reset... What can I do in this case?

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Oh, yeah I forgot! But I can't restore because it says I need to enter my passcode on my iPad, but I can't enter my passcode because trying to triggers the auto reset... What can I do in this case?

Well, you seem to be in a 'pickle' - ;) Your situation is analogous to forgetting your password since one cannot be used - check this Apple Support Article - you likely have to use 'Recovery Mode' - if you are uncomfortable w/ this 'last ditch' maneuver, then visit an Apple Store or authorized Apple dealership for help - read the article carefully, if recovery mode works, you will lose what was on the iPad and have to basically start anew. Dave :)

Last edited:
OP
Dombro1

Dombro1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, you seem to be in a 'pickle' - ;) Your situation is analogous to forgetting your password since one cannot be use - check this Apple Support Article - you likely have to use 'Recovery Mode' - if are are uncomfortable w/ this 'last ditch' maneuver, then visit an Apple Store or authorized Apple dealership for help - read the article carefully, if recovery mode works, you will lose what was on the iPad and have to basically start anew. Dave :)
Oh, well that's bad... Everything that was saved in the cloud is still in my iCloud account though, right?

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Apple keeps iCloud backups for about six months, so if you made one within the last months, you can use it to restore from.

Mail, contacts and calendar events saved to iCloud are there again when you set up the account on your iPad.

Photos could be lost, if you didn't save them somewhere else (computer, online storage).

OP
Dombro1

Dombro1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've decided to take the device to the apple store, since restoring hasn't worked for me (the iPad resets during the process and goes back to my lock screen, with the same error repeating, as if nothing happened). I will check back here and say if it worked or not

OP
Dombro1

Dombro1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm back, and, well, the iPad is dead :(

I went to a best buy and had the "Geek Squad" check it out, and hours later, after they have tried everything, they noticed that the logic board was fried out, therefore rendering my iPad 2, a useless chunk of electronics. Upside: I got 4 amiibo that will probably become rare, so that's good I guess

Most reactions