What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Force orientation on specific apps?

Barty

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is there a way to force certain apps to be in a chosen orientation all the time?

For example, I prefer to lock my iPad in portrait mode most use. It's easier for me to hold that way.. But, for apps like Netflix or YouTube, I always want to be in landscape, for obvious reason.

Is there a tweak for that?

Thanks

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
No there isn't. Since you have to physically turn the device around in order to hold it a different way, what's the problem letting the iPad change the orientation itself? Are you sure you don't have orientation lock set on by accident? Or of not, maybe you would be better setting the side switch up to control the orientation lock. Personally, that's how I manage orientation. Have a look at this link - iPad: Understanding the side switch

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
No there isn't. Since you have to physically turn the device around in order to hold it a different way, what's the problem letting the iPad change the orientation itself? Are you sure you don't have orientation lock set on by accident? Or of not, maybe you would be better setting the side switch up to control the orientation lock. Personally, that's how I manage orientation. Have a look at this link - iPad: Understanding the side switch

Pretty much this. For apps like Youtube and Netflix, they support both landscape and portrait and take no favors regardless of device.

OP
B

Barty

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't like leaving orientation unlocked because I use the iPad in bed and turning on my side causes it to flip when I don't want it to.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I don't like leaving orientation unlocked because I use the iPad in bed and turning on my side causes it to flip when I don't want it to.

Understood. I've keep my side switch set for orientation/rotation lock for the same reason. I sometimes like to read in bed, and don't want it to flip. I'll occasionally use it to lock an art/drawing app so that it won't flip around. That way I can turn the iPad for the most comfortable drawing position.

If there is an app by app orientation lock, it doesn't look like anyone here knows about it; which means it probably doesn't' exist.

If your side switch isn't set to rotation lock, follow the link that f478oy provided and make the switch. It's not that hard to use the switch to lock the iPad as needed, and more versatile, since you don't have to go digging for a setting if/when you change your mind.

Most reactions

Latest posts