What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Force rotation on iphone apps in ipad landscape?

ignasi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
First of all I'd like to apologize if it has already been asked, but I couldn't find any related post...

So... I've been looking for a tweak or hack that forces to rotate iphone apps (non ipad ready) when using them on an ipad in landscape mode.

I find really annoying that when I use apps like skype or spotify on my ipad in landscape mode they are always sideways rotated, forcing me to switch to portrait mode. I already have the Retinapad which makes them look way better, but that's not helping my issue. I wouldn't mind if i can't 2x Zoom them as long as they are vertical...

Does anyone know of a hack o cydia tweak that solves this?

Thanks!

I.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
AFAIK, no, there is nothing that'll force an iPhone app to rotate when using it on the iPad in landscape.

It's the way the app was written. Sometimes, it's due to limitations with landscape (e.g. in 3-match games, the screen would be too short for dropping objects). Others, it's because it would need way more coding to make the app able to flip to landscape (you'd have to rearrange the presentation - think of the work that would have to go into making Words With Friends in landscape version).

And, as far as leaving an app in 1x mode, yet having it show in landscape - that's an interesting idea that a coder/developer would have to explain why it would/wouldn't work (cause you'd be changing the orientation ... but not really). That would confuse the iPad, IMHO.

Long story a bit longer: No, there's no Cydia tweak for this. The landscape/portrait behavior of an app is app-specific. At most, you could as a developer to make it landscape.

Marilyn

OP
I

ignasi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That's what I thought... Thanks anyways!

And, as far as leaving an app in 1x mode, yet having it show in landscape - that's an interesting idea that a coder/developer would have to explain why it would/wouldn't work (cause you'd be changing the orientation ... but not really). That would confuse the iPad, IMHO.

Marilyn

It looks like it should have the same behavior as when you play a video and you rotate your pad, kind of rotating the whole container... But I'm not a developer in any way, so this probably is rubbish...

Hopefully someone will program it...

:)

I.

Hastock

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was previously using Words With Friends in landscape most happily, until I upgraded to IOS 7. Now it won't do it. The WWF version that I have installed says that it is compatible with IOS7. So, anybody any ideas how I can make it work in landscape again?

davebutz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was previously using Words With Friends in landscape most happily, until I upgraded to IOS 7. Now it won't do it. The WWF version that I have installed says that it is compatible with IOS7. So, anybody any ideas how I can make it work in landscape again?

Sorry to say but I have the same problem and was just searching for an answer....

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I, too, have the same issue. Here's hoping Zynga works on it, soon. Cause it appears the game is solely in portrait mode (and I've looked through all the settings I can find - no landscape mode).

So, it's not you or iOS 7 - it's the game developers, Zynga.

Marilyn

Most reactions

Latest posts