What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hack to switch orientation

Dearlt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I hate how switching orientation works in iPad. First, you unlock orientation, change to how you want it, then lock it again. Because the stupid sensor thinks it knows how I want the orientation by the way IT is oriented but it can't see how I am oriented.

I want to just switch manually between portrait / landscape with the switch or some gesture. Is there a mod that can do that? Thanks

iPad 2. 4.3.3 jail broken.

ocdetails

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Go to Cydia and look for RingerSwitchTool. It is in the BigBoss repo. That may do the trick for you. That is one thing which is actually good about 4.3.5. There is an option in the settings which allows you to choose what the mute switch does. It doesn't make up for not being able to jailbreak it, but it is better than a kick in the face I guess.

Edit: Sidewinder does the same thing for devices below 4.3 versions. It is a winterboard theme, so you just activate it through there. It works well on my 4.2.1 iPad 1.

Last edited:
OP
D

Dearlt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Actually, I can already set the switch as orientation lock (as opposed to mute). Apple put that back at some point.

What I want is to change the orientation with a gesture or button or the switch without having to unlock orientation first.

Reason: I have orientation locked bc I don't want the screen to rotate willy nilly when I move around. But with orientation locked, that means when I actually want change it, I have to unlock first, position the iPad, then lock it again. Pita. Hope that makes sense.

andrewhtf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Actually, I can already set the switch as orientation lock (as opposed to mute). Apple put that back at some point.

What I want is to change the orientation with a gesture or button or the switch without having to unlock orientation first.

Reason: I have orientation locked bc I don't want the screen to rotate willy nilly when I move around. But with orientation locked, that means when I actually want change it, I have to unlock first, position the iPad, then lock it again. Pita. Hope that makes sense.

i get what you wanted to do, but how hard it is to flip a little switch each and every time? it's not like it'd kill off your muscle doing it right? :D

*** ok sorry, trolls off. Winterboard option is viable.

Go to Cydia and look for RingerSwitchTool. It is in the BigBoss repo. That may do the trick for you. That is one thing which is actually good about 4.3.5. There is an option in the settings which allows you to choose what the mute switch does. It doesn't make up for not being able to jailbreak it, but it is better than a kick in the face I guess.

4.3.3 has that option.

Most reactions

Latest posts