What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Force one WiFi network over another

wraith1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This problem applies to both my iPad 2 and my iPhone. At home, I have two wifi networks...one that just streams music to my home theatre via Airport Express and the other which connects to the Internet. My iPhone and iPad both connect automatically to the music streaming network. Is there a way to force them (by configuration or an app) to latch onto the Internet wifi network instead? (They sometimes wander off to the music network even after I've manually placed them on the Internet network)
Thanks...

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is it not simply possible to go to 'Settings', 'WiFi', touch the blue arrow next to the streaming network, 'Forget this network'?

That would then remove your streaming network from the list of 'known networks' and, as a result, your iPad would no longer attempt to join it.

Tim

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That should work. You sure mastered that blue arrow fast, Tim. :D

Yes - I'm scouring my iPad now for more hidden 'blue arrows'!!!:D

I've been trying to work out how Splashtop manages to connect from my iPad to my PC over a remote (3G) network just using my gmail login and password. You just enter that information on the Splashtop iPad app and on the PC app and - you're in...how does it do that?? No messing with port forwarding, VPN tunnels, firewalls - it's magic!! Anyway, better stop, straying from the thread topic - I'll have Marie after me...

Tim

OP
W

wraith1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Except I DO use the music network a couple of times a day. I just don't know why my idevices seem to default to the network that I only use ten percent of the time.

Thanks anyway..apparently there is no elegant solution.

OP
W

wraith1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
In theory, yes. In fact, when I first set up the Airport Expresses, I DID put them on the same Internet wireless network. I was plagued with drop outs and loss of signal. That provoked a call to Apple. It was their tech who advised setting up this sort of intranet. In fact, he walked me through the set up. I asked him why I needed the separate set up and he told me that the Express boxes function more reliably when segregated from the main network. And I have to say that ALL of the problems streaming music to three different rooms ceased immediately upon establishing the separate network. But now almost every time I reach for my iPhone or iPad they've slipped back to the music network and have lost their Internet connection. Apart from this issue though, I was surprised that there is evidently no way to to configure idevices to maintain a connection to one network without killing off all the known competing WiFi networks within range.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The network you add first is the one they will join first by preference, if both are available. If you forget both of them, then add your main network back first you should be good to go.

No guarantees though.

OP
W

wraith1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sounds good to me. I'll give it a try. Thanks for the suggestion!

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The network you add first is the one they will join first by preference, if both are available. If you forget both of them, then add your main network back first you should be good to go.

No guarantees though.

Cool - another poet 'gem' - thanks!!!

Tim

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Good. Nice to know that something is working right. It does the job for me (I've got two networks also, though for different reasons), but I wasn't sure it would work for you. Not to say that I don't accidentally forget to switch back at times, and find myself wondering why things aren't working right.

Most reactions

Latest posts