What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can't get Wifi to work and can't get apps

tb0205

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, I bought a new iPad 2 a few days ago so that my children and I would have it on vacation. I took it home, connected it to my computer, and put on our music. We downloaded some apps right on the device with the wifi connected in our house. We had no troubles at all. Now we are at a hotel and it will not connect to the free wireless internet here. There are two networks here for Wifi, one is password protected and one isn't. Our laptop and my husbands iPhone both connect with no trouble. The iPad will connect to the unsecured network but continues to use data instead of the Wifi. It won't even find the secured network that the laptop and iPhone are on. I really want to download some educational apps and some other ones that my children could use while we are here, but it won't let me download them with the data! Tells me that I have to use Wifi or get them from iTunes, which brings me to the next problem: I can't get any apps off of iTunes on the laptop onto the iPad! I signed in with my account in iTunes and downloaded the apps, but when I connect the iPad it doesn't show all of the other apps I've downloaded directly on the iPad and it warns me that it will replace everything on my iPad with what is currently in iTunes (just the ones I just downloaded in iTunes). I tried dragging them onto the iPad, but that doesn't work either. I'm logged in with my account, why the heck can't I get the apps?

CybrDuke

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So the iPad connects but you can't use the wifi? Try bringing up Safari. See if it places ypu on a page where you need to agree to terms and conditions. Typically hotels do this. The connection is there but unusable.

If you downloaded apps on the computer using the same account as the iPad then go into iTunes on the iPad, click purchases and at the top click not on this iPad. You should see them and be able to install them. Of course this will only work once issue 1 is resolved. Hope this helps?

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! There are a lot of great people here willing to lend a hand anytime. Often using the Advanced Search box (at the top of every page) will lead you to the answers you're looking for. If not, feel free to post a question in the appropriate area.

Please take a moment to view the information linked below my signature to get the most out of your iPad as well as our forum.

With regard to your first question about connecting to WiFi at the hotel, I'll assume it's not in Airplane mode. As long as WiFi is on, go to Settings and turn WiFi off. Wait a moment and then turn it back on. You should see the available network(s) under "Choose a Network". Tap on the network you want to use...and WAIT. It may take a little bit but eventually the hotel's log-in screen should slide into place. Enter the login information they gave you and you should be good to go. Close out of Settings and open Safari or the App Store or whatever you need to do on the Internet. Waiting for the login screen is key and again, depending on their network it may take a little time...I've seen some take as long as 30 or 45 seconds for the login screen to appear. The iPad will automatically switch to WiFi over 3G whenever WiFi is available (and you're logged in).

Keep in mind that your iPad is not secure (unless you're using a VPN). I would avoid sending personal information such as credit card numbers, etc. while you're on the hotel's Internet. If you need to do that, simply turn WiFi off and go back to using 3G for the transaction. More about WiFi connections here:

iOS: Troubleshooting Wi-Fi networks and connections

As to the second question about syncing to your laptop, it sounds like you usually sync your iPad to a different computer. If that's the case, follow these instructions:

Using iPad or iPod with multiple computers

Hope that helps and let us know how it goes!

Welcome again and enjoy!

Most reactions