What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

First ever ipad.. Not impressed.WiFi Problems.

MrSquishyBoots

iPF Noob
Reaction score
First ever ipad.. Not impressed.WiFi Problems.Help?

Okay so i am a studying school student with a part time job so acquiring the money to buy this was not easy.
I Finally brought one. took it home to charge.
1st problem: Wall adaptor charger does not work at all, not a sound not anything.
Luckily my laptop has a usb specifically for charging.
2nd problem ( most important)

I can connect to the internet fine Via WiFi but after about 30seconds it stops. and it disconnects my whole network, so that even my computer can no longer connect to the internet. I restart the the router and try again. same problem. I am sick of browsing threads after threads trying to find a fix/cure/solution to this problem. I am using a NETGEAR WGR614 v3 router.
I dont want to know if you have the same problem i want to fix this.
This is my first apple product. Ive had it 3 days and i'm seriously pissed off. I am considering returning my iPad and never buying apple again.
What can i do?

Last edited:

MoonlitSonata

iPF Novice
Reaction score
MrSquishyBoots said:
Okay so i am a studying school student with a part time job so acquiring the money to buy this was not easy.
I Finally brought one. took it home to charge.
1st problem: Wall adaptor charger does not work at all, not a sound not anything.
Luckily my laptop has a usb specifically for charging.
2nd problem ( most important)

I can connect to the internet fine Via WiFi but after about 30seconds it stops. and it disconnects my whole network, so that even my computer can no longer connect to the internet. I restart the the router and try again. same problem. I am sick of browsing threads after threads trying to find a fix/cure/solution to this problem. I am using a NETGEAR WGR614 v3 router.
I dont want to know if you have the same problem i want to fix this.
This is my first apple product. Ive had it 3 days and i'm seriously pissed off. I am considering returning my iPad and never buying apple again.
What can i do?

Might need to get it replaced.

OP
M

MrSquishyBoots

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks i will check that link tomorrow morning.
And thank you for welcoming me, I havnt posted a "hello" thread as of yet as i am more concerned to get this working..

lwilliams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am an IT tech and though I am not familiar with that router, it does sound like the router is the problem. First - you can connect. Second - when you lose connection, no device connects. The iPad is not changing anything in your router.

Suggestion: If you want a quick, easy way to verify......try using the iPad at a either a friends WiFi or a public WiFi (plenty of them around). You will probably find that it works at those just fine.

One issue that is quite common, make sure that the type of WiFi security is a common type. The most common for home use is: Security = WPA- Personal, and the Encryption = TKIP. I have seen those change to other, less common, standards. That can work as well if the connecting devices are changed to match.

Apple devices are usually the easiet to network of all the wireless devices. I think you will be very happy once this is worked out. Good luck.

Czevski

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Why do you expect a sound from your wall charger? If I have put my iPad to sleep, it will briefly wake up and show remaining battery life but makes no sound. If it is not in sleep mode it doesn't show anything but the battery life icon will start showing an increase. Usually the wall charger will charge the iPad faster than a computer will.
I have no answer for your router problem. My Netgear works great.
Welcome to this great group.
You'll really like this device when you get your problem solved. I hope you haven't got one of the few badly manufactured iPads - but even Apple is not perfect.

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You'll really like this device when you get your problem solved. I hope you haven't got one of the few badly manufactured iPads - but even Apple is not perfect.

I agree - it is quite possible that a bad example slipped through. If thats the case, they WILL take care of you and things will go smoother next time. See what you find out and go from there.

civicar

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am an IT tech and though I am not familiar with that router, it does sound like the router is the problem. First - you can connect. Second - when you lose connection, no device connects. The iPad is not changing anything in your router.

I completely agree. Test your iPad on some other Wi-Fi router and see if it works correctly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

frankjg

iPF Noob
Reaction score
First narrow down the problems. The power adapter makes no sound normally.

Second does the iPad have proper internet connection with the iPad connected to your computer via the USB cable that Apple supplied.

Third if the iPad works to your satisfaction when connected directly to your PC via the cable and not via the wireless take the iPad to your local Apple store. They will be able to test the wireless and let you know if its the iPad or your router setup.

choPppps

iPF Noob
Reaction score
First, verify wifi security, I believe the iPad defaults to WPA2.

Second, make sure that the router firmware is up to date.

Wolfpuppies3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Replace the router

it's time for an upgrade anyway and routers are cheap.

iPad chargers are silent, they will not whistle, grunt, or otherwise converse with you.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
it's time for an upgrade anyway and routers are cheap.

iPad chargers are silent, they will not whistle, grunt, or otherwise converse with you.

However the iPad does normally beep when connected to power, and briefly display a battery charging icon (big and green) on the lock screen.

If it is off, it turns itself on (apple logo); then after booting beeps and shows the battery charging icon. I didn't realize it would do this until I tested it just a few minutes ago.

If the iPad is muted, or the system sounds are turned off in Settings, then the beep will not happen. However the charging icon will still appear if the iPad is locked; but if you are viewing the home screen the only indication will be the battery icon at the top right int he status bar, and if in an app you will probably get no indication at all (since the status bar is usually not visible).

Last edited:
OP
M

MrSquishyBoots

iPF Noob
Reaction score
usually When i connect my iPad to the computer it makes that "baseball" like sound, i was expecting the same sound when plugging into the wall charger. Nothing happens, the screen doesn't turn on, nothing shows up. and it doesn't charge.

And i have yet to take it too another WiFi location to check if it works there. - Will do soon when i get a break from work.

Frankjg, What do you mean by the internet connection when plugged into the computer. Are you saying that when i am connected to the computer via USB i should be able to connect to the internet through the computer ( sorry if this is an amateur question- first time apple user.)

My WiFi security for my router is WPA-PSK.
I have already allowed access for my iPad to connect to the router for those of you who think that i havent.

Most reactions

Latest posts