What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad 2 wifi problems/ alternative way to connect??

Kesh710

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey guys,

So I have a major problem with my iPad 2, the wifi hardware seems as if it is broken and I can RARELY connect to a wireless signal, and when I do connect, I only get 1 bar of signal. I have gone through all the basic troubleshooting steps and I have not been able to fix my problem.

That being said, I have gone over my 3G data plan this month and therefore can no longer connect to 3G. There are many things I need to do on my iPad that involves the internet, and I cannot continue to go without a connection on this device.

My Questions: Is there ANY way that I can connect my iPad 2 to a computer, through a USB cord or any other wire, and use that computer connection to my WIFI as a connection for the iPad?

OR

Is there ANY WAY AT ALL that I can connect my iPad 2 to any sort of internet connection if I am unable to use the WIFI because of the hardware and I have no more data for my 3G plan? This could be connecting it through my computer, modem, router, ANYTHING at all.

Thanks, I look forward to hearing any potential suggestions or answers

-Kesh

rlapoint

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If you are using a router to bring in the internet you should be able to connect to that acces point. Go to settings on your iPad and make sure your wi-fi is turned on. You should see wireless networks in range. They each have a name (SSID). Look for your access point and click connect. Interesrested if that works. If so hit the "like" button. I Could use the love.:D

OP
K

Kesh710

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have turned the wifi on and off and tried to "forget the network" and re-connect...neither thing works....I also tried going into the general network setting and "resetting network settings" and that hasn't worked either...

I think my Wireless Hardware may be broken in my iPad and therefore it won't connect to any wireless network in range...And to answer ur question before, yes I am using a router, lol just to clarify that...

I am basically trying to find ANY way to connect my iPad to the internet without using 3G or WIFI...maybe using the signal that I am receiving through a laptop or another device?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Kesh710 said:
I have turned the wifi on and off and tried to "forget the network" and re-connect...neither thing works....I also tried going into the general network setting and "resetting network settings" and that hasn't worked either...

I think my Wireless Hardware may be broken in my iPad and therefore it won't connect to any wireless network in range...And to answer ur question before, yes I am using a router, lol just to clarify that...

I am basically trying to find ANY way to connect my iPad to the internet without using 3G or WIFI...maybe using the signal that I am receiving through a laptop or another device?

Sorry,the only way to connect an iPad to the Internet is through wifi or 3G. There is no cable connection that can work.
Have you tried connecting with another wifi router,maybe your router isn't putting out a strong enough signal.

goofy8275

iPF Novice
Reaction score
My Questions: Is there ANY way that I can connect my iPad 2 to a computer, through a USB cord or any other wire, and use that computer connection to my WIFI as a connection for the iPad?

OR

Is there ANY WAY AT ALL that I can connect my iPad 2 to any sort of internet connection if I am unable to use the WIFI because of the hardware and I have no more data for my 3G plan? This could be connecting it through my computer, modem, router, ANYTHING at all.
Sorry, there's no way to connect to a wired network on an iPad. Wifi and 3/4G are your only options.

N4Sir

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iPad2 Wifi Range

My iPad2 wifi range diminished for no apparent reason. I had to get within 10 to 12 feet before it would connect while my iPhone connected within about 80 feet. I made an appointment at the Apple genius bar. The guy looked at the iPad and it connected in the store, but still had a weak signal. He walked in the back and brought out a brand new iPad2. It had a perfect connection. They replaced mine for FREE. Yes, FREE. It was not under warranty or any care plus plan. I still can't believe it. Apple is awesome. Any other manufacturer would be charging me a huge repair bill.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
N4Sir said:
My iPad2 wifi range diminished for no apparent reason. I had to get within 10 to 12 feet before it would connect while my iPhone connected within about 80 feet. I made an appointment at the Apple genius bar. The guy looked at the iPad and it connected in the store, but still had a weak signal. He walked in the back and brought out a brand new iPad2. It had a perfect connection. They replaced mine for FREE. Yes, FREE. It was not under warranty or any care plus plan. I still can't believe it. Apple is awesome. Any other manufacturer would be charging me a huge repair bill.

You sure lucked out there. Another store or even another genius may have resulted in that huge repair bill.

Most reactions