What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad 2 WiFi Problem

lightningpig

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Good day! Recently, I noticed my iPad 2 has been having problems detecting WiFi. My iPad can only detect it when I'm really near the WiFi router. When I move it just a few inches away, it does not detect it anymore or disconnects my connection when the iPad is already connected. Again, this happened just recently. I do not have any problems with my WiFi because my laptop and phone can detect it from a distance with no problem. I am running on iOS 7.1.2. Could it be possible that it's time to upgrade to iOS 8? Or is it more of a hardware problem? Thanks for your help in advance!

EDIT: I have tried restarting the router and hard resetting my iPad. I also restored network settings but the problem is nowhere near to being solved.

Last edited:

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Good day! Recently, I noticed my iPad 2 has been having problems detecting WiFi. My iPad can only detect it when I'm really near the WiFi router. When I move it just a few inches away, it does not detect it anymore or disconnects my connection when the iPad is already connected. Again, this happened just recently. I do not have any problems with my WiFi because my laptop and phone can detect it from a distance with no problem. I am running on iOS 7.1.2. Could it be possible that it's time to upgrade to iOS 8? Or is it more of a hardware problem? Thanks for your help in advance!

EDIT: I have tried restarting the router and hard resetting my iPad. I also restored network settings but the problem is nowhere near to being solved.
I would go ahead and upgrade to the current 8.3. I understand a number of bug fixes since 7.x.x specifically dealt with better WiFi connectivity. There have been other advantages as well. I doubt if Apple would go to the large expense of setting up upgrades if there was no benefit to its tablet users.
Regards, Andrew

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi @ Lightningpig - agree w/ Andrew about upgrading to iOS 8.3 - as stated a number of Wi-Fi fixes were present w/i several of these updates.

Just some more questions and suggestions: 1) If you upgrade your iOS, then do a 'Reset' (i.e. hold both the HOME & ON-OFF buttons until the Apple logo appears and let the device reboot); 2) Power recycle your modem and router (not sure if you have two machines or both combined into one device?) again; 3) If still unsuccessful, try to 'forget the network' and re-establish a connection; and 4) Have you taken the iPad to another location (e.g. Starbucks, Wi-Fi hotspot, friend's house, etc.) and tried to connect on another network? Dave :)

OP
lightningpig

lightningpig

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello. (1) I'm a bit hesitant in updating my iPad 2 to iOS 8 since I've read some people from the forums that have had troubles with the new OS. But I'm willing to do it if it solves my wifi connectivity issue. Will post update later (2) Already power recycled and it's combined into 1 device (3) Did the forget network thing but to no avail. It also won't pick up any signal from the coffee shops I go to. Thanks much for your help guys! :)

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hello. (1) I'm a bit hesitant in updating my iPad 2 to iOS 8 since I've read some people from the forums that have had troubles with the new OS. But I'm willing to do it if it solves my wifi connectivity issue. Will post update later (2) Already power recycled and it's combined into 1 device (3) Did the forget network thing but to no avail. It also won't pick up any signal from the coffee shops I go to. Thanks much for your help guys! :)

Well, I had an iPad 2 and upgraded to iOS 8.x w/o a problem and many others have done so, NOW whether you will be the 'unlucky' one (as has happened) w/ issues, impossible to predict, sorry. Since this is a 'major' upgrade and if you have an iTunes backup on a computer, then I would suggest doing a cabled upgrade rather than OTA - just a suggestion. Let us know your results. Dave :)

Brian 244

iPF Novice
Reaction score

Sounds like the wifi antenna has been damaged or possibly had the cable disconnected from the logic board. Especially since it does work standing next to the router. Has the iPad ever had the screen replaced? Or any other repair work done do it?

Blue92

iPF Novice
Reaction score
IOS 8.X had a few issues but the newest seems to have resolved most, if not all, of them.

Just for fun download an app named Wi-Fi SweetSpots. It gives you the Mbps between your wireless router and your device. Very interesting numbers as I move to different rooms and areas of the house.

Gtatler

iPF Novice
Reaction score
SweetSpots does not appear on the UK site

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

AdmiralAdama

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Near the Ionian Nebula, still searching for Earth
Re: iOS 8 & above. Guess I was one of the unlucky ones. My iPad2 was problem free until the update. All functions including tapping out text have noticeably slowed. Everything takes forever. Apps crash, etc. Happily, WiFi connectivity wasn't affected.

I don't disagree that many iPad2 users haven't had issues with 8. Just wish I was one of them.

AA

Most reactions

Latest posts