What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fence-sitters?

briloop

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I apologize if this has already been discussed in another thread.

I'm sure there are a lot of potential iPad or other tablet device buyers out there like me:

1. We have not pre-ordered an iPad.
  2. We're waiting to see the reviews of the iPad.
  3. We have a strong interest in buying an iPad or similar device in the near future - but not until at least summer or fall 2010.
  4. We're waiting to see what other devices will become available within the next 4 - 6 months.

I would love to buy an iPad. I own a Mac, and I love it. But I can't help but think that another company will come out with a product that might suit me better than an iPad.

Any other "fence-sitters" out there like me?

Edlex

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Better than the ipad? Different maybe but I guarantee nobody will come out with anything better than this device.

DavidNM

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's not the hardware - it's the software that's the key. No one can match the amount of ipad software that will be out there - and the rush by tons of manufacturers to supply accessories.

iDaryl

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you're willing to wait long enough, there will always be 'something better'! That's when you decide if the one you have is good enough, or if you'll go for the new 'bells-n-whistles'. I'm sure the next generation iPad is already in the works!

However, since I switched from Windows Mobile phones to the iPhone 3GS and from a Dell Inspiron to a 17" MacBook Pro, I've come to trust Apple. They are in business to make money, but when the release a product, it's usually cool for at least 1.5 - 2 years. Will other 'stuff' come out? You bet!! But if you get something now, you will not be tossing it in the garbage in 6 months. That's good enough for me!!

Then again, that's just me...

scottjl

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i was a fence sitter. couldn't decide between 3g and non-3g. decided to reserve one (64g) at my local apple store this week. since you don't have to drop any money i have until the 3rd to make up my mind and get it, or wait. so there isn't any cost to sit on the fence, but have an option.

i really wish it had a forward facing camera for video conferencing, it would be a no-brainer then for me. but i suspect we'll see that in 2011 with the ipad 2.0. so i'll use this one for a year, then sell it or gift it to a lucky family member.

as others have said, there is always something "better" coming out in 3 months, 6 months, next year, the year after. when do you get off the carousel and make a purchase that you could actually be using today? that's up to you.

i bought a sony reader touch (600) last november. i've been happily using it the past 5 months. i suspect the ipad will replace it because i don't like carrying more than i have to when i travel (which is every week). if i had waited i wouldn't have gotten to read the 30 or so books i've put away in the meantime (a lot of downtime waiting for airline connections). it was the latest things i've read about apple supporting non-encrypted epubs that made me pull the trigger really. so i can take my 450+ ebook collection with me.

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you want something better, you wait for the next Mac version of the product. If you want something less expensive, that is easier to find. Just remember that three years after they introduced the iPhone, no one else has matched it. Every time they come near the features of the iPhone, Steve Jobs has another version or a software update waiting to move the bar higher. Normally I too like to wait for the second generation to buy in, but this time, I decided I wouldn't wait.

iDaryl

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am a application software developer by trade (Windows, Mac, iPhone, and soon iPad). I am a firm supporter of NOT buying version 1.0 of ANYTHING!

However, I've relaxed my opinion when it relates to Apple products. I've come to trust the quality. Do they have bugs and issues? Of course, every new product does. But Apple's quality (in my opinion) cannot be matched.

I've pre-ordered two iPads and I have no doubts that I will be happy as a pig in sh...., I mean, 'mud' on 4/3/2010!! :)

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you want something better, you wait for the next Mac version of the product. If you want something less expensive, that is easier to find. Just remember that three years after they introduced the iPhone, no one else has matched it. Every time they come near the features of the iPhone, Steve Jobs has another version or a software update waiting to move the bar higher. Normally I too like to wait for the second generation to buy in, but this time, I decided I wouldn't wait.

I wouldn't hold my breath on that. Chances are more likely that this smaller consumer OS will get refined and take over for all consumer devices...so MacBook will go away being replaced by iPad, MacBook Pro will still be OSX, iMac will be replaced with the new OS, and Mac Pro will still be OSX...they may eventually offer a touchscreen desktop display and a touch MacBook Pro, but an OSX iPad is HIGHLY unlikely.

Dorje

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm also in the "wait for 2nd Gen" group. As much as the iPad is what I wanted out of the iPod Touch I'm still more then likely going to wait a year for the next iteration. Although if any 1.5 deals are good by winter I may change my mind.

I, at least want to see what happens with iPhoneOS 3.2 and see what develops into the summer (apps, attachments, hacks, etc).

I also won't buy without a hands on in the Apple Store and a good sit down with an Apple Sales rep so I can try a few more 'advanced' uses before hand.

Most reactions

Latest posts