What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Extra Photo Albums

ottiliegirl

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I recently noticed that I have 6 extra photo albums on my iPad. All of the extra albums contain pictures that already exist in their proper original albums. These extra albums have been given names from other different photo folders on my PC. Each of the new folders has two pictures showing representing these folders - one is vertical and the other is horizontal. I need to get rid of all these six folders without losing the original photos that are in their original folder. It was quite difficult for me to get this written up correctly. I hope whoever reads it understands what I am trying to say. If not, please question me. Thank you in advance.

Ottiliegirl

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Photos do not duplicate accross albums in the Photos app. Albums create collection by pointing to the original photo, not duplicating it.

Some albums are built in, and you can not delete them. At the top of the album page, they will be created when you have photos that match the description of the album. Any photo deleted from these ablums will be deleted from the photo library.

The albums you create will be under My Albums. You can freely create and delete these albums. When you delete a photo from one of these albums you will be asked if you want to delete it just from the album, or from the photo library. To remove it from the album, but keep the photo, choose the first.

F50B5F82-0867-41B2-B34D-F87FC9055A2E.jpeg

50EFE104-5B35-47EC-B7EB-EBC7D0A229CF.png

OP
O

ottiliegirl

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm sorry but that answer doesn't make sense to me as it refers to my situation. One of the "new" albums contains just one photo. It is a photo of myself and my daughter-in-law at a wedding. The album is titled "New House - After" which referred to the renovations made to my new house. No connection. The other new album is titled "Jamaica Indians". This album contains wedding pictures. The original Jamaica Indians album contain photos of a 1955 boys baseball team. Again no connection. Maybe I missed something in your explanation.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Both of those albums are created albums. You should be able to delete pictures from the albums, or the albums themselves.

Unless they are shared albums. Pictures being shared with you from another iCloud account. In that case you may or may not be able to edit them, depending on the permissions granted. You should still be able to delete (unsubscribe from) a shared album.

I don’t know how your albums got created, or how the pictures got there. Maybe an import or other action. But you should be able to edit any album that shows up under the My Albums header (as shown in my first screenshot in my previous post. If the albums are showing up under some other header, then I don’t know.

If you show me a screenshot of your albums page, maybe I can figure out what’s going on. Be sure to obscure any photos you feel are private.

OP
O

ottiliegirl

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am attaching a copy of my Albums screen. There are more Albums involved than appear on this photo but hopefully you get the situation I am discussing. I hope this helps somebody to come up with a solution. All of my photos are filed in other places, not in pictures or photos. So I am even up for deleting the whole thing if that is necessary and possible. I know the Photos app can not disappear through the wriggling of the apps.

OP
O

ottiliegirl

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm terribly sorry. I forgot to send the attachment. Here it is . Thank you.

Attachments

• IMG_0774.JPG
    IMG_0774.JPG
    869.2 KB · Views: 419

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Looks like you may be running an older version of iOS. What modle iPad do you have, and what version of iOS. You can check the iOS version under Settings > General > About.

It looks to me like these albums may have been synced to the iPad using iTunes from a computer. If that is the case, the only way to remove or edit them will on the computer; then re-sync the iPad.

OP
O

ottiliegirl

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you for that reply. Yes, I already know that my iPad cannot be updated to the latest software which is 11 something. I am running 9.3.5. I'm in the market for a new one in the fall. I will try working on them through iTunes to see if that helps otherwise I will be starting with a clean slate on a new iPad.

Most reactions