What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Deleting photos in iPad albums

PRSS

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello everybody

While I am able to delete individual phots from the camera roll, I am not able to delete photos from albums which I have copied through iTunes. I have to delete them only from iTunes - by deleting it from the origin - i.e. my laptop, & then re-sync the iPad for the photos.

Is there a way to delete diretly any photo from the album (not camera roll).

Thanks in advance
PRSS

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Photos you imported using iTunes cannot be deleted on an iPad. The only way to remove them from your device is through iTunes.

This way:

To delete synced photos and videos from your device

In iTunes, click the Device button in the upper right corner. (If viewing the iTunes Store, click the Library button in the upper-right corner first.)
Click the Photos tab in the resulting window.
Choose "Selected albums" and deselect the albums or collections you want to delete.
Note: To delete all synced photos, deselect "Sync Photos from" and, when asked, click "Remove photos."
Click Apply.
(Apple Support)

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If you want photo albums that can be managed completely on the iPad you have two options. {probably more than two, but duality is aesthetic}

1) Get a third party photo management app. This doesn't get rid of the need for the Photos app,, which is still needed to make photos available to other apps; but it can give you a place and tools to manage local albums. Photo Manager Pro is probably the most popular app of this kind, but there are dozens of other great photo management apps out there.

2) Use Photo Stream Sharing. You don't have to actually share a shared Photo Stream. These are a bit more awkward to manage than using iTunes or a third party app, but have the advantage of being available to most other apps that can access the Photos app.

Photo Stream and Photo Stream Sharing are two similar but separate features. The first is temporary and meant for syncing photos across your devices and computers. The second is permanent and is meant to share albums between devices and people.

iCloud: My Photo Stream FAQ

iCloud: Shared Photo Streams FAQ

OP
PRSS

PRSS

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you very much for the replies. From what you say, I don't think I can do what I wished to do. Better stick to my iTunes then.

In Android phones & tablets it is possible. That way Android is so much flexible. I don't know why iOS should make things so rigid - everything is dependent on iTunes & you need a computer to make changes !!

Best regards
PRSS

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If you import your photos to your iPad directly, without using iTunes, they can be deleted from there.

I don't use iTunes, and the photos I take are transfered to the iPad via USB cable directly from the camera. It's also possible to import photos from the SD card to the iPad without iTunes.
The iPad Photos app creates a new folder with the date when they were imported. Pictures I don't need any more can be deleted from there without problems.

OP
PRSS

PRSS

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Many many thanks. That sounds great. But sorry for my ignorance. My camera cable cannot be connected to the iPad socket - & I take pictures in the raw format only - with dslr cameras - so importing directly from the camera is out of question.

Second ignorance: you have said SD card - how do I connect it to my iPad 3 Retina socket?

Third : If it is possible to connect SD card, then is it possible to connect a USB pen drive or a USB external hard disk?

Fourth : sheer ignorance again. Is it possible to view pictures directly from the SD card or USB pen drive? My iPad with 16 GB memory is almost full - with tons of photos & a lot of painting & sketching apps. And I do not wish to delete these to make room for new pics. Any possibility ?

I shall be really grateful if you or someone could help me out on the above.

Best regards & thanks in advance
PRSS

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Many many thanks. That sounds great. But sorry for my ignorance. My camera cable cannot be connected to the iPad socket - & I take pictures in the raw format only - with dslr cameras - so importing directly from the camera is out of question. Second ignorance: you have said SD card - how do I connect it to my iPad 3 Retina socket? Third : If it is possible to connect SD card, then is it possible to connect a USB pen drive or a USB external hard disk? Fourth : sheer ignorance again. Is it possible to view pictures directly from the SD card or USB pen drive? My iPad with 16 GB memory is almost full - with tons of photos & a lot of painting & sketching apps. And I do not wish to delete these to make room for new pics. Any possibility ? I shall be really grateful if you or someone could help me out on the above. Best regards & thanks in advance PRSS
You need the CCK (camera connection kit) for your iPad 3. It looks like this:

image-993137558.jpg

As you see, one of these two gadgets can be used to connect a camera via USB to the iPad. It doesn't work with every camera. I know from my experience that it works with Canon cameras. The other part can be used to insert a SD card and import the photos this way.

On my Canon DSLR camera, I can choose to take pictures with raw and jpeg format (both at the same time). Jpeg is imported to the iPad.

You can view the photos from the SD card in your Photos app, before you install them (again - not raw format) and choose which ones to import to your device and which ones to delete.

The part about external HD is discussed in this thread: http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-air-forum/117777-any-sd-card-external-hard-drive-works.html
Maybe it will help.

There are many possibilites to save the pictures, if you decide to use online storage, e.g. Box allows to import photos from all your Photos folders, and there is 10 GB free storage with the option to purchase more. Dropbox can upload photos from the app automatically, but only loads photos from Camera Roll. Google Drive can also import photos from every folder. If you have a Gmail account, you can use Picasa to save your pictures there as well.

With Flickr, you can enable automatic downloads as well, and you get 1 TB free. I'm not sure which photo formats are imported, though.

If you have an Adobe account, you could use Adobe Lightroom. I don't know exactly how it works, but I think you need the software on a computer. This one works with raw format.

Last edited:
OP
PRSS

PRSS

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thaks a ton J.A. You have helped me a lot. BOX looks very attractive to me. Also the SD card adapter. One last question. Can I simply browse the photos from the sd card instead of imprting them? Browsing means looking at them full screen size - not thumbnails. Is it possible?

Thanks in advance

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
That's not possible. You can only see the small sized pictures, but not enlarge them, afaik.

OP
PRSS

PRSS

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you J.A. That clears everything!

zd4782

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Nice job J.A. but another thing you will try to.....
connect your iPad to your computer. photo that have syncned from your computer need to be unsynced in order delete them. if you try to delete these photos directly from your iPad, the delete option will not be available. open iTunes yopu will need be manage your synced album in order to delete the photos from your iPad. Select your iPad from the Device menu click the photos tab. You will see a list of album that have been synced to your iPad. You can only sync and unsync full albums. Uncheck the albums you don't want anymore. Scroll through the list synced album and uncheck any that you don't want appearing on your iPad. If you want indivisual images, you will need remove them form the album on the computer. Sync the iPad once you have made your adjustments to your selected photos click the sync button. iTunes will resync your photo albums, removing the ones your unchecked from your iPad's stroage

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts