What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Extra iPad 2 charger (Griffin) . . .

Expidia

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This just came today. They sell this Griffin charger in the Apple store too. I bought mine off Amazon. They may carry it in one of this forum's vendors too.

I bought the OEM Apple charger in the store for $29.99, but returned it as this Griffin charger also comes with a car cigarette lighter adapter and $10 cheaper for $19.99. Nice looking unit and folding prongs too.

Appears to put out the same 10 watts and 2.1 amps for the fastest iPad 2 charge rate.

I've always found Griffin products to be of a quality build just like the Apple accessories are.

Amazon.com: Griffin Technology PowerDuo 2 amp Power Charger for iPad, iPhone and iPod (Black): Electronics

JAILBIRD

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have always been very happy with the power products I have from griffin. Their cases, not so much. Although, I am VERY picky when it comes to my iPad or iPhone case.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yup, I have two of the Griffin wall warts and one of the car chargers. They've worked well for a year+. The Griffin wall warts are great, because they charge faster than the original Apple one.

StarFlyr

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I purchased the Griffin car charger and it works fine. The only problem with it is that it is VERY short in length. Easy to insert, but a bugger to pull back out of the power port (at least the one in my car. I have a splitter that allows 2 items to be plugged in at the same time and one of them permenently holds the Griffin. That way I can move from power port to power port easily.

OP
E

Expidia

iPF Noob
Reaction score
gamemorning said:
Any one had an griffin car charger?
Once surfing online,one of port pick up my eyes.
external power charger for ipad and also iphone.
GRIFFIN PowerJolt Micro Ultra Low Profile Car Charger for iPad/ iPhone/ iPod
Any one bought it from this vendor?
I am really curious about the features of it/
Reviews needed...

Yes, that one will work for the ipad. It needs to be 10 watts, 2 amps (some say 2.1.amps) this will charge the ipad as fast as the charger that comes new with the ipad. Many chargers are only 5 watts and are for Ipods and Iphones.

Some of those sites whack you for shipping, but the link you listed shows free shipping. Just be aware most come with only a 3 foot sync/charge cable just like the white one that comes with a new ipad. They are a liitle short for charging in a vehicle, but they will work. Just don't put the ipad in a position where it can slip and crack your screen.

I did find a decent 6 foot cable on Amazon, but I was waiting until I had $25 worth of stuff to order to get Amazon's free shipping so I have not tried it yet but I'm going to order a few of them because I hate the 3 foot cables.

I've seen 6 footers for $3 but the reviews say those cheap cables don't always sync properly so I'd stay away from the cheapies.

OP
E

Expidia

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Expidia said:
Yes, that one will work for the ipad. It needs to be 10 watts, 2 amps (some say 2.1.amps) this will charge the ipad as fast as the charger that comes new with the ipad. Many chargers are only 5 watts and are for Ipods and Iphones.

Some of those sites whack you for shipping, but the link you listed shows free shipping. Just be aware most come with only a 3 foot sync/charge cable just like the white one that comes with a new ipad. They are a liitle short for charging in a vehicle, but they will work. Just don't put the ipad in a position where it can slip and crack your screen.

I did find a decent 6 foot cable on Amazon, but I was waiting until I had $25 worth of stuff to order to get Amazon's free shipping so I have not tried it yet but I'm going to order a few of them because I hate the 3 foot cables.

I've seen 6 footers for $3 but the reviews say those cheap cables don't always sync properly so I'd stay away from the cheapies.

These have good reviews and come in white or black:
http://www.amazon.com/RND-Power-Sol...7?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1316488015&sr=1-7

OP
E

Expidia

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Update: I've been using the Griffin 10 watt charger for about a week now and it charges at the same rate as the OEM Apple charger.

I'm still a little disappointed that it runs as hot as the Apple charger does. It's a tad bigger so I was hoping it would run cooler.
It seems they both run hotter when they are charging the iPad's battery back from a low discharged state. The closer the iPad gets to full charge the cooler the AC charger becomes.

Neither is like burn your hands hot, but they do run "hot".

I always get nervous leaving any charger or wall wart type charger plugged in all the time. But some devices have to be plugged in all the time (like my Slingbox).

I picture one of these cheap Chinese made chargers shorting out and throwing off sparks (eek) when I'm not home or sleeping.
So I would think twice about leaving your iPad on your bed or couch while these chargers are laying on material when they run so hot anyway. Any device can and do short out especially as they get older in age.

On another accessory update: I just received 4 of the "RND Power Solutions" 6 foot Sync and charge cables. They are of a decent quality and work fine as a replacement for the OEM 3 ft cables the iPads come with. I bought 4 cause I have 2 iPad 2's. We use 2 upstairs and the other 2 downstairs.

The company touts they are Apple approved. But I doubt that because I did not see that statement on their box. Either way, for $10.99 each and free shipping shipping for orders over $25 if you order other stuff from Amazon. They are great cables (so far) and come in black or white.

If a vendor connected with this site carries this brand then buy them from here. I have no connection with the company I just wanted to pass along an accessory that fills one of my pet peeves that I had right off the bat with the iPad which was Apples 3 foot sync and charge cable.
I tried out Apples longer cable but it was the same size only with a "real thick" 10 foot cable added on that you plug into an outlet. I returned that expensive cable and bought a $1.50 white extension cord at Home Depot.

Some of those 6 foot cheap sync/charge cables out there, I've read that the cheapies don't always work with the iPad, so I waited until I found a better alternative.

Last edited:

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Odd. I was able to match Gizmodo's test results (OEM Apple charger slower than Griffin up to 80% charged) with my first Griffin, before I bought a second. But I also tried switching out the cords and found that my substitute cord made charging slower than with the OEM Griffin cord.

The chargers all heat up, though. Agreed on staying away from knockoffs. If my chargers burn down my house, at least I know where to find Apple or Griffin, lol.

Most reactions

Latest posts