What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AC Charger for iPad

Tom P.

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just ordered one of these for 99 cents...

[ame=http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B003U5KWWI/ref=oss_product]White Rapid Home Wall Charger with IC Chip for Apple Ipad Tablet 3G Wifi 16GB 32GB: Amazon.ca: Electronics[/ame]

• Brand new Generic charger.
  • Input: 110V - 220V (U.S. Standard) output:5v/2A
  • LED light power indicator.
  • Best replacement for original iPod travel charger.
  • Intelligent IC chip inside recognizes a fully charged battery and automatically switches to a saver mode to prevent overcharging and short circuit.
Are the voltage specs ok for the iPad 2 ... 5v / 2A ? I assume so, as the Apple charger is 10 watts / 2A.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That's some price reduction from CDN$39.99 to CDN$0.99.

The specs look fine - will be interested in your observations when you receive it.

Tim
Scotland

Spink10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had a cheap imitation for a car charger and it melted the plastic around the charger :(

Shellready

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I owned a couple of iPhones and I've heard horror stories of people using cheap generic chargers.

OP
T

Tom P.

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Will the AC charger for the iPad 2 work with an iPhone or iPod Touch? In other words, is the voltage the same for all... 5 volts? The iPad charger is 2 amps / 10 watts. Is this too much for the iPhone or iPod Touch? Also, does the charger automatically quit charging once the battery is fully charged? I don't want to be cooking batteries.

Reaction score
Tom P. said:
Will the AC charger for the iPad 2 work with an iPhone or iPod Touch? In other words, is the voltage the same for all... 5 volts? The iPad charger is 2 amps / 10 watts. Is this too much for the iPhone or iPod Touch? Also, does the charger automatically quit charging once the battery is fully charged? I don't want to be cooking batteries.

Yes, the iPad charger also charges the iPhone and iPod touch. All iOS chargers apply a voltage of 5V.

I believe the iPad itself regulates whether it charges or not and shuts down charging when it is fully charged.

OP
T

Tom P.

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That is not money I would save, too huge a risk.

For 99 cents, I thought I would take a look at it. If it is U/L approved and all, I may try it out. If not, and it looks cheap I can throw it out. However, Amazon regularly has this kind of clear-out pricing on items. I assume the vendor is discontinuing the item and is clearing inventory.

Note the regular price on this charger was $39.99 (if one can believe that). I will let you know what it looks like and perhaps how it performs once I get it.

BTW... on the same order, I included an iPad neoprene sleeve for $2.99 and a 3-pack of stylus touch-screen pens for 1 cent.

Ncaissie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You have to be careful because my daughters Ipod Nano Shorted out I assume was from a cheap wire or her ipod radio. Any non Apple brand chargers will void your warranty. Something similar happened with my Iphone in less than a year and had I used a third party anything they would not have replaced it.

OneMarcil

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I do not see any option to start a new subject here. I will ask this question in here. Does anyone know if there is a way to play videos to a TV and charge the IPAD at the same time?

Sent from my iPad location.

Most reactions