What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Evernote : How do you use it? : Tips and Tricks

OP
twerppoet

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Yep. EverClip operates in the background. And not just for Safari. Any content that you copy in any app will get clipped to EverClip. Once there you can select one or more clips in the EverClip app and send them to Evernote as a note.

Hold in mind that because of Apple's limitations on background tasking, EverClip times out if you don't use it for a while. It will warn you with a popup notification when it turns itself off. And you won't hear the beep each time you choose copy, of course.

Hold the boat!

Looks like there is an iPad version of EverClip now. Looks like it just came out a few days ago. Or I just managed to miss seeing it before. One or the other.

I'm off to buy it. :D

mdholm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks, I'll check it out. Everclip is also available in the Google Play store, so if it works out I'll be able to use it on both devices.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah. Found that out. Oh well - still got it. This is a VERY cool app if you are big into Evernote. Very much more handy. I just copied a note from my Notes app and sent it to Evernote. Very quick and painless.

Thanks again for this mention. I like finding new, and helpful, apps.

Marilyn

Asharp

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I use Evernote for keeping work email attachments organized by dept., committee, etc. I've been using it for about 2 years and have 61 notebooks, but there will be more when I can get around to organizing a slew of EverClips I've added in the past few days.

Recently, I've started using EverClip to collect bookmarks so I can start keeping bookmarks more organized in Evernote.

goofy8275

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Right now I'm setting up tags for easier searches and organization. Also noticed the photo scan option. Perhaps I could have used that to import my iPF essay. I don't know how much trouble it would have transcribing it, but I assume it wouldn't bee too hard because I am told I have good handwriting. :)

OP
twerppoet

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Right now I'm setting up tags for easier searches and organization. Also noticed the photo scan option. Perhaps I could have used that to import my iPF essay. I don't know how much trouble it would have transcribing it, but I assume it wouldn't bee too hard because I am told I have good handwriting. :)

The photo and PDF scanning feature is supposed to make the notes more search friendly. I don't know if you can use it to scan a picture to a text file. If you find a way to do that I'd be really interested.

The recognition works fairly well. it gets most of my, rather lazy, hand printing in my imported Penultimate notes.

StewSearch.jpeg

mdholm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I downloaded Everclip but can't figure out how it works. Plus I'm not jazzed about the 10 minute time limit.

OP
twerppoet

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I downloaded Everclip but can't figure out how it works. Plus I'm not jazzed about the 10 minute time limit.

You open the app, then go to the next app you want. Anything that you use Copy on gets clipped to Everclip. You will hear a kind of double beep each time it happens. When done, you go back to the EverClip app. All your clippings will be there to sort through. You can create a new Evernote note from each clip, or select more than one to create a note with all those clips.

EverClip lets you know when it times out, so all you have to do is go back to the app to quickly to enable it for another 10 minutes or so.

mdholm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I mainly want to save things I find online. Does it work for that?

Ok, I think I got it but I don't see how to pick the notebook I want to send to.

Last edited:
OP
twerppoet

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I mainly want to save things I find online. Does it work for that?

If you can select and copy it, then it will work. Selecting in a webpage can be tricky. There are so many different underlying way of displaying stuff that it does not always respond the same way to a tap, double tap, or tap and hold. Sometimes it is easier to select something nearby and then use the drag handles (blue dots) to expand/change the selected area. When you have something selected you should also see a small pop-up menu with the Copy options. Tap that and you'll hear a double beep.

Ok, I think I got it but I don't see how to pick the notebook I want to send to.

Tap the gear (settings) icon at the top left and change the default notebook. There is no way to change the notebook for individual clips, but you can change the default notebook whenever you are on the main clipping screen. So doing everything you want for one notebook, then move on, would be the best workflow.

You can add tags individually, just before sending.

Or you can just let them all go to the Inbox and sort them in the Evernote app after the fact.

OP
twerppoet

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I've been playing with IFTTT, and seeing what tricks I can get it to do with Evernote. I think I've got a couple useful recipes tweaked to go. Will share soon.

In the mean time, you might find ifttt.com interesting. It's not specifically about the iPad, but it can make a lot of repetitive tasks you might be doing on the iPad automatic.

OP
twerppoet

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
IFTTT (If This Then That) is a service that links different online services together. Basically it says if THIS happens in on one channel (called a trigger) then THAT happens in another channel (called an action).

One of the channels it works with is Evernote. There all kinds of crazy things you can do, but here are the two I've been playing with, and tweaking to my own tastes.

I have both of these going to the Journal notebook in my Evernote account; however it is easy to change once you import the recipe for your own uses

iOS Notes to Evernote Recipe: https://ifttt.com/recipes/87387

This is actually a GMail to Evernote recipe, but if you combine it with GMail syncing of the Notes app in your GMail settings, it can create notes in Evernote. Here is how it works.

When you create a new note, or update a note in the Notes app, it gets synced to the Notes folder in GMail. The recipe looks at the Notes folder (called a label in GMail) and checks for anything new/updated. It then takes that note and creates an Evernote note in the specified notebook. In this case it actually creates a note, then if the note already exists it appends to the end of the note. There are a number of variations possible, but I choose to create a log like note, rather than generate a new note for every change. It looks like this in Evernote.

NotesLog.jpeg

When ever the note gets larger than 2MB, a new note is created.

The result is a nice log/backup of all your notes, or at least the ones synced with GMail. You can also use Siri to send quick notes to Evernote this way, as long is your default (or only) account syncing with Notes. It's not immediate though. Notes can take as long as 15 minutes to sync to Evernote, in my experience.

I'm not exactly sure how I'm going to use this, or if, but I'm thinking it would be a qood way to log ideas or important events.

SMS text to Evernote Recipe: https://ifttt.com/recipes/87386

The SMS log is similar. The main difference is that the note is created or appended with the text from any SMS message you send to IFTTT. You could use this to create new notes in Evernote, but I think of it as a way to log important SMS messages you receive. You go into Edit mode in Messages, select one or more bits of text you want to save, then forward it to IFTTT. This is made easier if you create a contact for the IFTTT phone number.

Here is how my SMS Log looks.

SMSLog.jpeg

There is a limit of 30 Evernote transactions an hour, according to a warning I received when testing both recipes, but that should be enough for most uses.

Other recipes I'm playing with are:

• Creating an MP3 note in Evernote from a voice mail when calling the IFTTT number.
  • Emailing my Moves app updates to Twitter using the IFTTT email address.
  • Monitoring Craigslist for new appartment listings for specific search parameters, and creating a new note in Evernote for each one.

Then there is the rule that emails me when anything new or cool is added to IFTTT.

So far I've concentrated on what I can do with Evernote, but there are dozens of other channels including Facebook, DropBox, Box, Twitter, Mail, RSS, Weather, Instagram, Google Drive, and Flickr. If you've got stuff you do often that involves moving or creating content in more than one place, IFTTT may be your new best friend.

Last edited:
OP
twerppoet

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I forgot to mention that the setup is reasonably easy, and that there are lots of pre-made and shared recipes that you can use as is, or modify to your own requirements.

Most reactions

Latest posts