What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Reminders app: a help to cooks ( come on in and add how you are using this app too)

Jockscrap

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I've copied the following from something I've just posted on the Tips and Tricks thread, as I think it would be good to hear how others are using this great app. In the few weeks I've been using it, I've become totally reliant on it, especially since getting an iPhone and being able to access the reminders everywhere I am.

"Here's something handy I discovered about the Reminders app. I used it for the first time to do a shopping list for the supermarket. I made a new list within the Reminders app on my iPad, which through the power of the cloud, ends up on my iphone for easy reference at Tesco. As I checked off the items on the shopping list, they went in to the completed list. This is the cool bit...when you uncheck them from the completed list, they go back on the shopping list ( not the generic Reminders list), meaning that with time you can build up a comprehensive list of all the stuff you buy, and only need to type the name of the item in once, then simply check and uncheck as required to keep a current shopping list on the go."

Following on from that, it occurred to me that a variation of this is a great way of keeping an ingredients list for a particular meal all in one place, all ready to be added to the main shopping list when you want to prepare that meal. Eg, I was making a pudding yesterday that required 5 different ingredients. I made one singe entry in the shopping reminder list with all those ingredients, and the name of the pudding. In the future, when I want to make this again, I only need to either search for it in the Completed list, or easier still, if the list is long, use the ipad's search function to find my 'Marshmallow Surprise' ingredients entry in the list. Uncheck it, and all the ingredients will appear in my current shopping list.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Starting to see the power of the Reminders app. In your second paragraph, where you mention the ingredients idea, are you using nested reminders there? i.e. is your Marshmallow Surprise a separate list with separate ingredients that you can check off one-by-one, but which are contained *within* your current shopping list? I can't see how to get that to work.....:(

Tim

OP
Jockscrap

Jockscrap

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Tim SPRACKLEN said:
Starting to see the power of the Reminders app. In your second paragraph, where you mention the ingredients idea, are you using nested reminders there? i.e. is your Marshmallow Surprise a separate list with separate ingredients that you can check off one-by-one, but which are contained *within* your current shopping list? I can't see how to get that to work.....:(

Tim

Just in a list without individual check boxes. Now, I wonder if there is a way to do that? I'll need to continuing playing. Darn, there goes my Saturday!

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So you put those ingredients in the Notes section of the Marshmallow Surprise entry? As you say, it would be good if there was a way to nest lists....

Sorry to have destroyed your Saturday....

Tim

OP
Jockscrap

Jockscrap

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Another feature I'd like in the Reminders, is to be able to move the items up and down the list, eg, i'd like to be able to group all the dairy products, fruit and veg etc together in the list, roughly in the shop's aisles order, to save having to scroll up and down a long list all the time.
The order in the list seems fixed according to the time it was added, unless I'm missing a trick.

OP
Jockscrap

Jockscrap

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Tim SPRACKLEN said:
So you put those ingredients in the Notes section of the Marshmallow Surprise entry? As you say, it would be good if there was a way to nest lists....

Sorry to have destroyed your Saturday....

Tim

No, I just added them straight after the recipe name.

Attachments

• image-4237521588.png
    image-4237521588.png
    234.5 KB · Views: 922

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I looked at the Reminders chapter in the iOS 5 User Manual and it definitely says that you can't change the order of reminders in a list....

Tim

OP
Jockscrap

Jockscrap

iPF Novice
Reaction score
SweetPoison said:
What a great app! I so have to know ~ what is 'biological powder?"

LOL at the Saturday Destroyer. Love it!

Biological powder is clothes washing powder with enzymes.

And I'm reliably informed that Marshmallow Surprise is good, although I wouldn't touch it myself. Far too sweet...the cup a soups are much more my thing!

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just got this from the iPad User Guide.......

Change the order of lists
In list view, tap Edit. Drag next to a list to change the order.

You can’t move a list to a different account, and you can’t change the order of reminders in a list.

The Archangel

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just got this from the iPad User Guide.......

Change the order of lists
In list view, tap Edit. Drag next to a list to change the order.

You can’t move a list to a different account, and you can’t change the order of reminders in a list.

The Archangel

This changes the order of the lists but not the order of items within a list.

So, if you had three lists that appeared in Reminders in this order

Shopping List
Cleaning List
Film List

and each of these lists contained several items, then you can change the order of the lists...

Cleaning List
Shopping List
Film List

but not the order of the items in the Shopping List.

Not sure why they made this restriction .......

Tim

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
LOL at the Saturday Destroyer. Love it!

Biological powder is clothes washing powder with enzymes.

And I'm reliably informed that Marshmallow Surprise is good, although I wouldn't touch it myself. Far too sweet...the cup a soups are much more my thing!

Clothes washing powder?

Okay ~ am I just not paying attention. And it is early here in Cali. But isn't this a recipe list for Marshmallow Surprise?

I'm confused....

Most reactions

Latest posts