What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Evernote : How do you use it? : Tips and Tricks

chowdown

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi TP. Yeah, iOS 6.1.3. There are 23 apps in the "Open In" list, but Evernote is not there (anymore). Have tried all the usual fixes except for uninstalling/reinstalling. I'm afraid of doing that, for some dumb reason. I've invested a lot of time in this app and rely on it heavily for work and life. Reassure that it will be ok and I'm just being paranoid. :eek:

OP
twerppoet

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi TP. Yeah, iOS 6.1.3. There are 23 apps in the "Open In" list, but Evernote is not there (anymore). Have tried all the usual fixes except for uninstalling/reinstalling. I'm afraid of doing that, for some dumb reason. I've invested a lot of time in this app and rely on it heavily for work and life. Reassure that it will be ok and I'm just being paranoid. :eek:

All your notes are stored online and should re-sync when you reload and sign in with the app. If you have any doubts, just go to the Evernote.com site on a computer and check to see if it's up to date. If not, force a sync by tapping the sync icon (a circle of arrows) in the iPad app.

Good luck.

Husq250

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Well I've restarted re-using Evernote for quite awhile now. Im glad i gave it another go because its become a very important app with daily usage now. Thanks to all the good info here.

I am definitely still learning and trying to make it better for me. One thing id like help with is when i open a doc into Evernote with "open in", it goes into a (default?) notebook i don't want it in and i always have to go into it to change where i want it to be. It their a better way or a way i can change which note or notebook open in uses?

OP
twerppoet

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I'm glad you found the app useful.

I don't know of any way to change the default notebook from the InBox.

However:

Some apps with Evernote integration have ability to set a default notebook. Everclip for one.

If you send a note to Evernote using email you can add the name of the destination notebook to the end of the subject line, followed by any tags you would like applied. For the one or two scenarios where I use this a lot I create keyboard shortcuts so I can add a notebook and some tags quickly.

SUBJECT: This is the subject @notebookname #tag1 #tag#

For instance, when I was sending my exercise stats from the Moves app to Evernote I had a shortcut: "mvd" = "Moves Daily @Exersize #walk #cycle". I entered this into the subject line. If #cycle didn't apply, I just backspaced over it before tapping Send.

When I do add a bunch of stuff to the inbox, I prefer to use the computer client or the website (on a computer) to move and tag them later. It can be done on the iPad, but it is easier there.

On the other hand if I'm using the Open In App option, it is going to open Evernote any way. It only takes a couple taps to change the notebook. For as rarely as I use this option I don't mind. Personal preference, of course.

This probably didn't help much, but that's all I've got, for now.

Edit: Just found out that with iOS 7 and OS X Mavericks (or maybe earlier) all my keyboard shortcuts on the iPad/iPhone are now synced to the iMac. You have no idea how long it took me to get "mvd" to stop expanding every time I typed it. :)

Last edited:

Husq250

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I really don't mind either, just wondering if i could make it quicker.

mikespe

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Finding this post has gotten me re-acquainted with EverNote and Pocket. I was just using Google Keep for simple grocery lists. But I think I will be switching to EverNote. I tried it once before but thought it was overkill for what I needed. However, seeing the ideas in this thread has gotten me excited about using it again!! Thank You!

OP
twerppoet

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I'm glad you'll be giving Evernote another try. While it takes a bit more effort to learn it can do much more than a simple text only note app.

Though, personally, I prefer Reminders for my grocery lists. Mostly because I can tell Siri to "Add dog food to my shopping list" and it does. Making adding thing to my shopping list 'that' easy is the only way things get on my shopping list. ;)

That's on my iPhone, of course. My iPad is rarely with me when I happen to think of something I need to get.

I do keep a Wish notebook in Evernote, and add things to that for later review. Unlike the random thoughts (and/or immediate needs) that inspire my shopping list, the wish list is almost always triggered by something I'm browsing, reading, or looking at; so capturing it in Evernote is a natural.

Elux72

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I use Evernote and its companion, Penultimate, and find them both useful for 'longer term' notes, whereas I use the built in 'Notes' app for short term, everyday lists and notes.

mikespe

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'm glad you'll be giving Evernote another try. While it takes a bit more effort to learn it can do much more than a simple text only note app.

Though, personally, I prefer Reminders for my grocery lists. Mostly because I can tell Siri to "Add dog food to my shopping list" and it does. Making adding thing to my shopping list 'that' easy is the only way things get on my shopping list. ;)

That's on my iPhone, of course. My iPad is rarely with me when I happen to think of something I need to get.

I do keep a Wish notebook in Evernote, and add things to that for later review. Unlike the random thoughts (and/or immediate needs) that inspire my shopping list, the wish list is almost always triggered by something I'm browsing, reading, or looking at; so capturing it in Evernote is a natural.

Thanks for the reply & tips...I think Evernote will work better than Reminders for my grocery lists because I have a Galaxy Note 2 & Evernote is cross platform so everything will be accessible from all my devices including my laptop. With Google Keep only my laptop & Note 2 could access my lists...I bought The Clipper app mentioned above & I'm still trying to learn what that can do (any tips with be VERY helpful!!)

Thanks again for your help!!

OP
twerppoet

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply & tips...I think Evernote will work better than Reminders for my grocery lists because I have a Galaxy Note 2 & Evernote is cross platform so everything will be accessible from all my devices including my laptop. With Google Keep only my laptop & Note 2 could access my lists...I bought The Clipper app mentioned above & I'm still trying to learn what that can do (any tips with be VERY helpful!!)

Thanks again for your help!!

I'm all iOS and OS X, except my Nexus 7, so Reminders works well for me. I'd probably use Evernote for groceries too, if I was mixing my platforms more.

EverClip's best use case is when you are going to be gathering a lot of info from one or more apps or websites. Once you start the app almost anything you copy from almost any app will automatically become a note in Everclip that you can then tweak, combine, or edit before sending on to Evernote.

Even text you copy from the iBooks app works, and as a bonus the copy includes the book title (and a copyright warning).

It's less handy for capturing one time stuff. In most cases, where you just need to get one thing, it is easier to either email the content to Evernote or use the Open In App option. You can also use copy in most apps then paste into a new Evernote note.

I used to make more use of the Evernote bookmarklet, but it's gotten to be too much trouble in iOS 7. I hope it gets updated eventually, as there is no other easy one-step method to copy content from iOS Safari to Evernote. At least none I know of.

Last edited:
OP
twerppoet

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
It's been a while, but I thought I should mention that with iOS 8, three is now an Evernote share extension. Once added you access it the same way you would to share content to Twitter, Mail, or FaceBook.

It works in Safari and many other text based apps, eliminating the need for the bookmarklet, and eating heavily into the use case for the EverClip app.

There have been some recent threads on how to add and manage third party extensions, so I won't go into that here.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Since iOS 8, it's now possible to add Evernote's Quick Note Bar to the Notification Center.
image.jpg

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts