What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Easiest and quickest way of getting my ipad to play avi files

andyjp1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It says it in the subject.

Any ideas??

Thanks

darrenjcampbell

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Broadly speaking, if you can't play it in iTunes, you can't play it on your iPad. You'll either need to convert it first, or use an app/website that converts it on the fly. I don't know of any off-hand, but one way or another, you're gonna have to convert it.

Edited by Moderator - no twitter links, please read the forum rules

Last edited by a moderator:

michali

iPF Novice
Reaction score
AV player HD and VLC both play avi files brilliantly. Download and access in File sharing in iTunes. Just add your avi files to the app in file sharing and it will copy them to your iPad.

OP
andyjp1

andyjp1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Spot on cheers, best 2 quid spent on an app yet!!

darrenjcampbell

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well I learned something new :)

Edited by Moderator - no twitter links, please read the forum rules

Last edited by a moderator:

tadd5181

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What is "AV player HD and VLC" ... is that an app(s)? What is its (their) proper name(s)?

Last edited:

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
tadd5181 said:
What is "AV player HD and VLC" ... is that an app(s)? What is its (their) proper name(s)?

Check these out......

The Archangel

Attachments

• image-2188545502.png
    image-2188545502.png
    255.5 KB · Views: 2,334
  • image-2277848616.png
    image-2277848616.png
    224.4 KB · Views: 2,277

wayneh

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Azul is another player that plays almost any video format. It doesn't need to convert them to a standard format either.

tadd5181

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have looked at AV Player HD which appears to be available as an app for Ipad2 but not for the iMac. However, the app's short description of itself does not list the files that make up the video I have. The video I have was made with a Windows PC program called Roxio 8. The files on that movie video have extensions of VOB, IFO, and BUP.

Does anyone know if AV Player HD handles movie video files with those extensions? As far as I understand (which is very little) AV Player HD loads only onto the iPad 2 and not onto my iMac (or for that matter onto my Windows PC). So secondly, if that is true, how do I get the movie video onto the iPad?

Again, any help is greatly appreciated.

mlaurencg4

iPF Noob
Reaction score
tadd5181 said:
I have looked at AV Player HD which appears to be available as an app for Ipad2 but not for the iMac. However, the app's short description of itself does not list the files that make up the video I have. The video I have was made with a Windows PC program called Roxio 8. The files on that movie video have extensions of VOB, IFO, and BUP.

Does anyone know if AV Player HD handles movie video files with those extensions? As far as I understand (which is very little) AV Player HD loads only onto the iPad 2 and not onto my iMac (or for that matter onto my Windows PC). So secondly, if that is true, how do I get the movie video onto the iPad?

I prefer VLC as it handles .vob well ( the other two documents you have are not video). VLCStreamer is also quite awesome!

On the Mac, VLC will actually open and run all videos in the Video_TS folder - not sure if that is case with VLCStreamer as I currently have no .vob files on my Mac.

alanchan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
how do I get the movie video onto the iPad?

I use apps call "Files Connect" App Store - Files Connect
it allows me wirelessly see my Apple Time Capsule and other Windows based PC
I can see the shared folders, then download the AVI or RMVB files to my ipad2
works great.

I am using AV Player HD as well, after I use Files Connect to download the video file
I highlight the file and choose to open with AV Player HD and
the file is instantly transfer to the AV Player folder
then you can play ....
good luck

Last edited:

chevyguy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
AVPlayerHD, simplest and best way to play a lot of formats smoothly with play back issues and the TV out works great as well.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

schwazche

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have to say that "Air Video" is fantastic. Client/Server application that encodes/streams most any video "on the fly" to your iPhone/iPad from your PC or Mac. Simple to setup and it just works.

Most reactions

Latest posts