What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Problem playing avi and other VDO formats

jked1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi!

I've just bought my iPad 2 and love it! Unfortunately I cannot play videos that I have downloaded from external sites. I have installed Downloads HD doesn't recognize avi and other vid formats), Movie Player (needs to be connected with PC which I don't have), XPlayer (is not given to me as a prompt to use but also needs a PC connection.

I am prompted to "view in Downloads HD" when I have downloaded rar files. Can someone please help? Do I need to delete some of the players I have? Are they conflicting?

I cannot play any avi or other files...

Any help welcomed!

wytey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
giffgaff.com
I use air video, you install the server on the pc and setup the directories want to stream, then install the app on you iPhone/iPad.

It will play 3gp and mp4 files fine, other formats, you can tell it to convert first, or convert and play on the go

As far as I know, the iPad will not play avi files without converting first, or at least I've not found an app that will play it without converting

Hope that helps.

OP
J

jked1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hii!

Thanks for your suggestions!

I've downloaded Cinex and have the same problem.

I dont want to connect to a PC. I just want download movies etc and play them directly on my iPad.

Any other suggestions are very welcomed!

madhatter61

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Movies on iPad2

Hii!

Thanks for your suggestions!

I've downloaded Cinex and have the same problem.

I dont want to connect to a PC. I just want download movies etc and play them directly on my iPad.

Any other suggestions are very welcomed!

I'm not thoroughly versed on this issue, but have been reading up a bit.
Try loading your movies in MOV format on a SD card ... load it using the camera connector kit ($29 ... provides USB2.0 and SD card reading) but only works on .jpg and MOV formats. You can watch your movie with iMovie or iPhoto.

Note: there is a free movie converter program you can down load to change formats. Realize any format change reduces quality a bit... don't know how much.

The SD adapter works superbly in transferring still photos.

Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
OPlayer will play a large variety of formats. I has a number of ways of getting movies on to the iPad, including a web browser to download them directly.

As for quality, well, I've barely used it and the reviews are mixed. YMMV

Porcupine8

iPF Noob
Reaction score
GoodPlayer has an option to upload movies from your computer to your iPad via the web, and plays .avis no problem. I have not actually tried to download an .avi directly to the iPad via, say, Atomic and then open it in GoodPlayer, but now you've made me curious so I'm going to try it. (5 min later) It seems that GP does come up as an option to open .avis you've downloaded in Atomic, so that should work.

It will work with DropBox URLs, too. Put the video in your DropBox, open the DB app, choose the video, and one of the buttons in the top right will say "copy email link to clipboard." Then go to the GoodPlayer app, choose the web icon at the bottom, and paste the URL in and it will play the file directly from DB.

OP
J

jked1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
OPlayer will play a large variety of formats. I has a number of ways of getting movies on to the iPad, including a web browser to download them directly.

As for quality, well, I've barely used it and the reviews are mixed. YMMV

OPlayer seems to have worked just fine. Lots of other stuff too such as FTP...

Thanks and everyone!

Most reactions