What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

DVD to iPad

joe.niles

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What the best way to get my DVD to my iPad? I get the digital copy now with most of my Blueray. But I have a lot of old DVD I need to load..:ipad-peacock:

wot_fan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The best method I have found for converting DVDs to an iPad friendly format requires 2 programs. First is a ripper. This program will copy the DVD to your hard drive and remove the copy protection. The second program is a video encoder/converter. Here are the ones I am familiar with. They are all free.

Mac Ripping Program: Mac the Ripper
Windows Ripping Program: DVD Decrypter
(may be better ones. I haven't used it in years)
Video encoder: Handbrake

Handbrake has a preset for AppleTV. This is the one I use to encode for my iPad.

BTW, if you want to convert a Blueray, you can use MakeMKV to rip to an MKV file. Handbrake can then convert to an iPad friendly format.

Ghuda

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am going to try some different settings on handbrake and see if I can improve the quality. I did them some time ago and for the smaller screens on my iPods they were great, but to see the HB movies next to my digital copies on the larger screen sort of takes the fun out of it.

I never really minded the quality issues on my PowerBook, but the iPad is only at arms length so it's much more noticeable.

Ghuda

iPF Noob
Reaction score

IpadOne

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks but I actually like hand break, I just need to get more knowledgeable about using it.

If you have any suggestions ipadone I am all ears.

I had a guy telling me that if I double break it, it will come out better...... I just sort of nodded my head and said uh-huh, because I was clueless and had one of those old guy moments.

Ghuda, honestly speaking i found many paid software for convert video … but the best still remain handbrake … and it’s not the question to paid for app’s is just the more simple and easy to use all necessary function

Dorisking3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
dvd-to-ipad.blogspot.com
The key for this question~

What the best way to get my DVD to my iPad? I get the digital copy now with most of my Blueray. But I have a lot of old DVD I need to load..:ipad-peacock:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJCINO48CiU]YouTube - DVD to iPad-How to Convert DVD to iPad and Watch Movie on iPad.mp4[/ame]
I got the Wondershare DVD to iPad Converter, and made a video on Youtube to show how to convert dvd to iPad by using that software.

BTW, for iPad, I found the HD format (1280*720) is more suitable for its 9.7 inch LCD touch-screen. :p Cool~~~~

IpadOne

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Why not tryMoyea Blu-Ray Video Converter Ultimate?
It combines Blu-Ray Ripper and Video Converter, not only let you convert beween all video/audio formats, directly rip/convert/copy Blu-ray or DVD movies, but also give you the easiest and most effective way to remove protection from all your Blu-ray discs, DVDs, then you can also convert, edit and play on iPad, iPod, iPhone, Zune, Xbox 360 and so on.

Why when i see your nick name, i be sure you will promote some crapy stuff ?? , i believe you are pure Chinese trying to got 2 RMB from everywhere you can

Crimguy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Handbrake is available on Windows as well. The most recent version is almost as good as the Mac version. Fully serviceable though.

Lwood

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Several of the programs listed (handbrake) and others (AnyDVD and DVDClone Mobile) will work - but you have to adjust the settings. AnyDVD will decrypt it - then you need to run DVDClone Mobile to get it to the format - and you have to edit the .ini file to include the new resolutions.

OR - Daniusoft has a DVD Ripper program that does everything and has formats for the iPad and every other device. Actually, it has three different resolution formats for the iPad.

DVD Ripper - Best DVD ripper software, DVD ripping software, Convert DVD to AVI/MPEG/XVID...

It also looks like a modern program = graphically pleasing to the eyes.

One note - it takes it a while (hours) to decrypt, decode and create the iPad output.

It might take less if I had used DVD Shrink first and then this program. But, this is a learning process.

Of course Apple's tech support response is that they only support movies purchased from the iTunes store.

Lee

wot_fan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There is no reason to pay for software to convert DVDs for your iPad. The articles that are linked in the posts above are just blog shills for the software developer.

I posted this earlier in this thread, but since some may have not have seen it I am quoting it here.

The best method I have found for converting DVDs to an iPad friendly format requires 2 programs. First is a ripper. This program will copy the DVD to your hard drive and remove the copy protection. The second program is a video encoder/converter. Here are the ones I am familiar with. They are all free.

Mac Ripping Program: Mac the Ripper
Windows Ripping Program: DVD Decrypter
(may be better ones. I haven't used it in years)
Video encoder: Handbrake

Handbrake has a preset for AppleTV. This is the one I use to encode for my iPad.

BTW, if you want to convert a Blueray, you can use MakeMKV to rip to an MKV file. Handbrake can then convert to an iPad friendly format.

Most reactions

Latest posts