What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dropping 3G Connection

60DegreeVVT

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok so i have been using my ipad everyday on the train ride in to chicago everyday. The train is an express from 30 miles west of chicago straight in to unoin station. I guess we move about 50 mph or so and, obviiously, we take the same route every day....

Here comes the problem.... Between west hinsdale and brookfield my data connection just SUCKS @$$. I have no bars. Or maybe i get 1 or 2 but it is not enough to open pages without timing out. Then it switches to edge and that sucks worse.

My question is.... What the hell can i do so that i dont lose cellular connection? I cant change routes. Is this something that i can do to the ipad? Do i contact ATT?

Anyone else have these issues?

Thanks

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I see two problems. One is that you are constantly changing towers, and the other is you are in a bad set of circumstances with your mode of travel. Your tower issue can mean that when you change from tower to tower, you are subject to the ability of the towers to add your signal to the que. Then you are in a steel cage which will hamper your signal. Not a big help to your reception. If you want anything done, you would be better off convincing the local authorities to install repeaters in the cars.

figmo10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Complain to the FCC. Then at least you'll know that your complaint has been recorded.
Honestly, AT&T will do precisely nothing about you losing signal on a train between stations.

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
You problem is ATT cellular coverage, not with the iPad.

Use the mark my spot app each time your in that area and mark it as a dead zone.

maybe then att will look into it if they get enough complaints/reports of the area having issues.

OP
60DegreeVVT

60DegreeVVT

iPF Noob
Reaction score
thanks for the input....

Seadog - I make sure that i sit next to a window with the 3G antenna pointing towards the window. and Chicago Metra will never put WiFi on their trains... too much money.

MikesToolz - What is the "mark my spot" app? and how do i mark my spot if i lose my cell connection? also i dont lose calls on my wireless phone between those stops. it is just ATT... good lord...

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
thanks for the input....

Seadog - I make sure that i sit next to a window with the 3G antenna pointing towards the window. and Chicago Metra will never put WiFi on their trains... too much money.

MikesToolz - What is the "mark my spot" app? and how do i mark my spot if i lose my cell connection? also i dont lose calls on my wireless phone between those stops. it is just ATT... good lord...

do a search for the app called mark my spot. its an app made by AT&T for marking a spot that you get bad service and sending the location back to them.

You don't need a connection, the app will remember the location and then send the info to att once you are in an area with service.

As for not losing calls, calls and data are two different things. when your in an area with bad coverage the data service will normally die first.

maryinredding

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Do you have AT&T for cell service? I tried using AT&T at our lake and it failed miserably. I have Sprint cell service and it's great. One more reason to use your phone as a hotspot.

OP
60DegreeVVT

60DegreeVVT

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well it has just gotten worse... I updated to 3.2.1 and now all i can connect to is Edge... I have a "claim number" with them... Hopefully i will get it fixed soon

CaptKirk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use the Sprint 3G/4G overdrive and never get dropped out as long as im in a metropolitan area. My wife and i drove to San Diego from Sacramento and back last May along I5. I was logged into the 3G network most of the trip and dropped out only few times. The I5 corridor offers extremely good cellular service.

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It is different in all areas. Verizon has several bad spots I have to be aware of, and I seem to get dropped a lot more over when I had Altel.

Most reactions