What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dropbox and the stock Photo Viewer

BruceBanner

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi chaps,

I have been using dropbox as a way of moving pictures/photos onto the ipad2, I therefore have installed the dropbox app and of course using the stock photo viewer that comes as standard. The photos are all 10mega pixels, size around the 3-4mb.
I can indeed see that the jpgs are 3-4mb in size from within the dropbox app and when given the choice to copy onto the ipad2 it occurs fairly quickly (1-2 secs).
Now here's the question. When viewing the photos on the stock photo viewer, when zooming in (pinch and zoom) the pics appear pixelated and don't refresh. The quality looks fine when just looking at a pic but rubbish and awful when you zoom in.
So what's happening? Is dropbox compressing the picture very quickly for the ipad2 so that when i zoom in on a pic its pixelated because its essentially no longer a 3-4mb 10megapixel sized pic?
Or is the stock photo viewer absolutely rubbish and won't zoom in on the pics properly?

I have enjoyed using the ipad2 as a photoviewer medium but it really needs to be able to zoom in properly.

Can anyone shed any light?

Also, if not can someone suggest a photo viewer app on the ipad2 that will satisfy this requirement?

Cheers,

Bruce

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't use DropBox but I do use the standard Photo app on the iPad, but transfer my pictures either by email or using GoodReader. All the photos that I have on the iPad pinch and zoom just fine with no pixelation apparent at all. Can you transfer your images to the iPad via an alternate route to see if the problem persists?

Tim

OP
B

BruceBanner

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tim,
I'm sure yer right, I went into dropbox and had a go of pinching and zooming and it was doing the same pixelated nonsense. I have a feeling dropbox is the culprit here and not the photoviewer.
I detest itunes and try to avoid it whenever possible, but as a pc user dropbox has become very handy to share photos etc with others.
Can you recommend another way to download photos stored on dropbox (or some other similar software) that wont suffer this ill-fated zoom issue? It's as if the dropbox application itself is rubbish but I have heard of other third party programs that intergrate a dropbox feature and am hoping they might do the trick best?
Any ideas?
I will search Goodreader now...

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Some info on GoodReader...

There is a program that most all iPad users have called GoodReader. It's the 'Swiss Army Knife' for the iPad and it can store files all together and in folders - or however you want them - and can transfer files to and from your PC using either WiFi or USB without the need for iTunes. It's built in web-browser can download files too, something that Safari doesn't offer - except for PDF format. From within GoodReader you can open those files in any app that supports that type of file. Having said that, though, when a compatible app does open that file it makes a local copy that it works on, so the original copy in GoodReader is left untouched. If you want to store the modified file in GoodReader you have to transfer it back there by some means.

GoodReader can also attach several files to an email and then send them using the iPad's native Mail app - something you can't do from within Mail itself. It also gives you the opportunity to annotate PDF files and save the resulting file so that it can be read on a PC or Mac. That annotation can be handwritten or typed and you can search the document for your typed annotations and bookmarks. On the latest version, PDF files can be scrolled horizontally or vertically.

It can also play several formats of video and audio files too.

Tim

OP
B

BruceBanner

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had a look at Goodreader and just bought it, will let you know how i go. Cheers Tim.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had a look at Goodreader and just bought it, will let you know how i go. Cheers Tim.

Good Luck - it's got so many facets you need to give it a while but, if it doesn't suit your requirements, remember you can always get a refund...

Tim

Most reactions